Advice Request Microsoft Edge "edging" out Google Chrome?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
After reading several postings by some of the tech gurus and others here at MT, the takeaway I got was that the new Microsoft Edge is slightly the better overall browser over Chrome out-of-the-box for average users .

I say this well aware of the "many" original Chromium forks but being so many, and the timing of development schedules, one can get confused as an average user choosing which one is best, and how to tweak it.

Of course, some would say it is matter of personal preference, and some hard core MT vets might say nothing but vanilla Chromium but I just wanted to clarify once and for all if it seems like Edge is now "edging" out Google Chrome, and would be a safe, and good recommendation for anyone asking.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Check out the link for the Brave test. (y)(y)

I like it as a browser, nice clean, great design and fast but
Agree with this and many of the points above. I was a big fan early on but now hardly use Edge at all. It is shame that M$ seems to have wasted a great opportunity. Apparently they can't quit the "M$ as a service ... " BS even for this one project. It could have been made more attractive for many different user types. Instead, it appeals mostly to those who are hooked on all of M$'s services/platforms, M$ Insiders and of course the casual, uninformed user.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Android has similar privacy issues to Microsoft, therefore the ultimate solution based on Siri's non-biased evaluation, is that you should migrate to Mac/iOS. (y)
Android at least gives us possibility to disable telemetry and is encrypted by default. Windows 10 offers us to choose between collecting data and collecting data. :cautious:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Regarding the differences between the collectors: does it matter whether you are bitten by the dog or the cat?
Hmmm, would I rather have rabies or cat-scratch fever? :D

I suppose it's a matter of degree: I'll choose Brave, Chromium or Firefox as my preferred navigator in the world of Big Data.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I'm still enjoying edge though it has felt slow a times and start-up after a reboot takes a minute but part of me still misses more straight forward chrome, just liked the flow of it. Experimented with Brave here and there but as Smartscreen is fully integrated into chromium edge and system managed, for the moment I'm sticking with it.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Windows 10 provide you the same. Stock Android isn't different in that case
Are you serious or you're just trolling me?

Windows 10 only gives you ability to choose between required diagnostic data and optional diagnostic data. Both of these send data. On Android, during setup, you're asked if you want to help Android team by sending usage statistics. If you untick that, no data will be sent.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Are you serious or you're just trolling me?

Windows 10 only gives you ability to choose between required diagnostic data and optional diagnostic data. Both of these send data. On Android, during setup, you're asked if you want to help Android team by sending usage statistics. If you untick that, no data will be sent.
And you realy think that Google don't get data then anyway? You should read about that.
Also on Android setup you can't disable some, like usage of Google account.

If you choice "required" data in Windows10, no personal data are transmitted.
So no i'm not trolling. I'm just not on the paranoid trip like you (anymore)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
And you realy think that Google don't get data then anyway? You should read about that.
I know what data Google collects about me. IP address, user-agent, device I use (because I allowed it) and search query when I search something on Google. Nothing else. If you set up your account correctly, data won't be saved and tied to your account. It will be collected when using Google's services (Google Maps, Google Play etc.), but it won't be collected when you're not using them.
Also on Android setup you can't disable some, like usage of Google account.
You can use Android without Google. You don't have to sign in to your Google account to use your phone. That's totally up to you. If you want phone without Google, you can even get that. No one is forcing you to use Google.
If you choice "required" data in Windows10, no personal data are transmitted.
None of the personal data is sent to Google when you use Android either.
So no i'm not trolling. I'm just not on the paranoid trip like you (anymore)
You don't have to be paranoid to realize that Microsoft with their services collect identifiable device ID and full URLs of websites you visit.

L

Local Host

OK folks, we can discuss and disagree but let's play nice and civilized.
The discussion is ridiculous and off topic, the last statement alone is wrong (leave alone the rest of the nonsense), you cannot use Android without Google nowadays (you need a custom ROM).

In the older Android Builds that could be used without Google you wouldn't be able to install APPs nor Update your phone whasoever, you were as insecure as you can get (simply not a good idea).

Windows 10 triggers the user to change all the settings during setup for a long while now (and that includes telemetry settings), so claiming Full is the default setting without user consent, is just...

I'll leave it at that, no point wasting my time in this off topic nonsense.

If you don't like a Software, Services, Company or whatever, don't use it, no need to derail topics and bother those who use them.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Why did not MS incorporate updating Edge into Windows Updates, it would make more sense, since Windows Defender uses it too. I do not like browser auto-updating itself, I have stopped mine from doing that as well. Unfortunately removing Edge is not an option, it reverts back to the default Edge.
Code:
taskkill /im MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe /f
rd "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate" /s /q

Attachments

• capture_08092020_222151.jpg
    capture_08092020_222151.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 162

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Back on my original topic, based on using Secure DNS over HTTPS, what I am gleaning from the posts here is that for best overall browser, one's choices at the moment are limited to either Chrome, Firefox, or Brave, and for those who like to play, the vanilla Chromium builds. I guess it is safe to say that at this time it boils down to personal preference, and safe browsing habits. Thanks to all for their inputs.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
One more update. After trying out Brave, and this Kinza Browser, and Ungoogled Chrome Forks, imo for best overall use I am using Firefox or Google Chrome because they both allow SecureDNS over HTTPS working with Cloudfare DNS 1.1.1.1, and will keep Microsoft Edge as the backup, although it only allows Secure DNS via Google. My conclusion is at the moment there is no "perfect" browser just personal preference.

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
I used Firefox for years. Since Microsoft switched Edge over to a Chromium base, I've been using Edge for a while, with DuckDuckGo as the search engine, and have no complaints. I already send info to Microsoft with Office and Windows, so what the heck. With Chrome and Google search engine, I'd just be adding adding Google to the mix for no good reason.

• Applause
Reactions: ForgottenSeer 85179

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Is there any ways to stop Edge browser smartscreen from sending browser history without disabling it? For Enterprise Windows 10. I'm pretty sure the answer is no but I can have a bit of a hope can't I?
No, it sounds like most likely they would have to reengineer the entire smartscreen system which, since it works very well, probably will not happen.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.