Microsoft Edge on iOS adds tracking prevention settings

Antus67

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 3, 2019
Microsoft is rolling out a new update to its Edge browser on iOS, and it brings a couple of important features. First, users can now choose whether to sync their browsing data with Microsoft Edge Legacy (the UWP version) or the new Chromium-based version of the browser.

The other notable addition is a new tracking prevention setting, which has already been present in the desktop version of the browser for a while. Tracking prevention prevents websites and companies form following users' activities throughout the web, which is a common method used to deliver targeted advertising. Edge offers three settings - Basic, Balanced, and Strict, which offer varying degrees of protection. The Strict setting can cause some websites to break, though.

The mobile versions of Edge do include some built-in extensions, including AdBlock Plus, so this tracking prevention setting isn't necessary if you want to stop ads from showing up. It could be, however, a more native way to do it, and give you some control over the aggressiveness of your tracking prevention settings.

The feature doesn't seem to be available on the Android version of the browser yet, but it would make sense for it to make its way there eventually. If you haven't yet, you can get Edge for iOS from the App Store.

Source: Microsoft Edge on iOS adds tracking prevention settings

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
No such thing there. And I've just installed it. If I scroll all the way down I only have block popups and cookies blocking. And that's it.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Open Edge > Settings > Privacy and Security > Scroll down and look under Security and you'll find Tracking Protection enabled by default.
Confirmed. Security => Tracking Protection (enabled by default) is the first entry above popups-blocking and cookies...
I would like to show here a screenshot but probably doesn't help only in German ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.