Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
After cleaning cookies and site data?
Maybe it's in the cookies for ntp.msn.com?

I tried for several times all steps mentioned by Techdows, then cleaned cookies, cache and all websites data... Unfortunately, doesn't work to disable, after every browser relaunch News-Notifications are shown again 🤮

I'm either forced to accept this kind of "annoyance" or just to install one 3rd-party browser extension to customize Edge's New-Tab-Page 🤷‍♂️

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I tried for several times all steps mentioned by Techdows, then cleaned cookies, cache and all websites data... Unfortunately, doesn't work to disable, after every browser relaunch News-Notifications are shown again 🤮

I'm either forced to accept this kind of "annoyance" or just to install one 3rd-party browser extension to customize Edge's New-Tab-Page 🤷‍♂️
I got rid of the option by disabling all notifications only then did not return after relaunch.
Edge note.jpg

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yes, I see the red numbers next to the bell are back....again. Hasn't this been raised before? It went away by itself I think but not for good. Plus, I have a little extra in addition to that so now I feel very fortunate and grateful. NOT.

edge ugly.png

Sandboxie stops this because it blocks network access but once I "Disable Forced Programs," the annoyances are there upon opening unboxed Edge. Hopefully there's an Edge forum and people are complaining that it's baaack. Or wait again for a fix as Gandalf_The_Gray indicated.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I got rid of the option by disabling all notifications only then did not return after relaunch.
View attachment 261526
Are you guys aware that after you launch EDGE if you scroll down all the News stuff is still there?
Also noticing unblockable ads being displayed and UBO seems to not detect them.
Edge ADs.jpg

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Also noticing unblockable ads being displayed and UBO seems to not detect them.

Yes, apparently Edge is more like a Store app, like the News app maybe? Plenty of ads in there. What used to get rid of those type of ads was AdGuard for Windows but I'm not inclined to use it right now.

I want the devs to stop loading these "features--" or I'll simply stop using it, much as I like Edge. Or try another channel like DEV, as others have reported. Is this nonsense in Canary or DEV anyone know?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
It doesn't come back immediately for me. So far I had 3-6 hours of delays in between. It's like Edge remembers my settings for a while and then forgets even though the settings itself didn't change. Short time memory loss like the movie Memento.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Edge is not my main browser so I don't spend much time customizing it.

I was very shocked today when I clicked settings and Profiles tab under Basic info.
Edge without my permission collected and saved my physical postal address has well as "ALL" my email and family email accounts.

Not trying to bash but I find this deeply worrying. Is this info locally stored? Does it get sent to M$?
If they say no who is to saying they are not lying. :LOL:

Using EDGE seems to be like making a deal with the. :devilish:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Edge is not my main browser so I don't spend much time customizing it.

I was very shocked today when I clicked settings and Profiles tab under Basic info.
Edge without my permission collected and saved my physical postal address has well as "ALL" my email and family email accounts.

Not trying to bash but I find this deeply worrying. Is this info locally stored? Does it get sent to M$?
If they say no who is to saying they are not lying. :LOL:

Using EDGE seems to be like making a deal with the. :devilish:
Are you logged into your Microsoft account on Windows? Edge use the same account so maybe that's where it got all the info? (Considering you have your personal info on the account).

Reactions: oldschool

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Could it be coincidental with the latest update? Sometimes updates like that revert settings. Post #1182, update to v. 95.0.1020.30 to be specific. I've been getting this "Start app" nag for longer than that, though, and haven't found a setting yet (except for Maybe later) to zap it. Sandboxie blocks it but like a mosquito in the dark, it re-harasses me eventually. :D

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Are you logged into your Microsoft account on Windows? Edge use the same account so maybe that's where it got all the info? (Considering you have your personal info on the account).
My M$ login account is completely separated from all my other accounts. That email address is @ outlook.com. ( I don't even send emails with this account its just for Windows)

None of gmail and other accounts are connected to that or my family accounts. They are not even contacts. It seems to have gotten the information from
my Amazon account when I filled in my shipping address a few weeks ago

Edit
I found the option that's on by default to save and fill Basic info. So that's off now.
I need to go through Edge default options with a fine tooth comb before I use it further.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
They have added more bloat, no idea whats the point of this
View attachment 261521
View attachment 261520
Nothing new. It's been there for a while.
Yes, apparently Edge is more like a Store app, like the News app maybe? Plenty of ads in there. What used to get rid of those type of ads was AdGuard for Windows but I'm not inclined to use it right now.

I want the devs to stop loading these "features--" or I'll simply stop using it, much as I like Edge. Or try another channel like DEV, as others have reported. Is this nonsense in Canary or DEV anyone know?
I have modified my new tab page with its settings and have no news stuff.
View attachment 261530
The new tab page notification settings was working but has been crashing for a several days. Now, when I click on notifications icon and then its "settings" icon the drop-down window crashes. Until recently I was able to turn these off.

Anyone who has this issue please report it through the feedback widget. I've already done so a couple of times. M$ needs to hear users' concerns.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
My M$ login account is completely separated from all my other accounts. That email address is @ outlook.com. ( I don't even send emails with this account its just for Windows)

None of gmail and other accounts are connected to that or my family accounts. They are not even contacts. It seems to have gotten the information from
my Amazon account when I filled in my shipping address a few weeks ago

Edit
I found the option that's on by default to save and fill Basic info. So that's off now.
I need to go through Edge default options with a fine tooth comb before I use it further.
Edge has quite a few settings that can help with "privacy" issues, most average users will overlook them. As @SeriousHoax said, you may adjust settings as needed.

The problem with Edge, like some other browsers, is that these settings are spread out all over the place. The first thing I do when installing a new browser is to go through all settings for just this reason.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Edge has quite a few settings that can help with "privacy" issues, most average users will overlook them. As @SeriousHoax said, you may adjust settings as needed.

The problem with Edge, like some other browsers, is that these settings are spread out all over the place. The first thing I do when installing a new browser is to go through all settings for just this reason.
I only use Edge if I have the rare case certain sites do not load with FF strict settings.
Its installed with windows by default if i had my way it would be gone permanently. :LOL:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.