Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
The first thing I do when installing a new browser is to go through all settings for just this reason.
You can also keep a backup of your profile in case you reinstall the browser or Windows. Then, all your settings would remain intact except the default search engine if you use anything but Bing.
C:\Users\*UserName*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
png_12202.png

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Same thing, reported here. Since I box Edge and block network access, it only shows up when I disable forced programs.

As always recommended, don't save your passwords in a browser.
Wow, that's ominous. Good advice but personally, I do store non-banking/non-financial passwords in the browser. If a hacker wants the password to my Imgur account, well, enjoy. :D

For shopping sites, passwords are written on a piece of paper. Sort of clunky but at the moment: workable and worth the very slight inconvenience. Just not into yet another third party prog. that increases my surface area.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Sorry, I missed your earlier report....."block network access"?
Yes. All I know is that: if Edge is boxed, that nag for that Start app doesn't appear. As soon as Edge opens unboxed, that nag appears. I know in Plus you can actually block ALL network access, correct? This is Classic though.

Those red notifications appear whether Edge is boxed or not. Just got three more. That "Content off" setting is enabled so I don't understand why this is continuing. It really is annoying. I'm using Firefox now, almost exclusively. Hope it get sorted.

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
Microsoft Edge 95.0.1020.38 Released (October 28, 2021)
Release notes:
Fixed various bugs & performance issues.

Version 95.0.1020.38: Oct 28

October 28, 2021

Microsoft is aware of the recent exploit existing in the wild. We are actively working on releasing a security patch as reported by the Chromium team.

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
Version 95.0.1020.40: Oct 29

Important

This update contains a fix for CVE-2021-38000 and CVE-2021-38003 which have been reported by the Chromium team as having an exploit in the wild. For more information, see the Security Update Guide

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

I have not used build-in Edge Application Guard for some time, so I don't know whether it is me remembering it wrong or something has changed.

In the past when I launched WDAG from an inprivate session WDGA edge opened a normal window, bit now it opens an inprivate virtualised session.

Also I noticed that the WDAG container proxy now runs in AppContainer, while I remember they used to run with untrusted Integrity Rights.

Anyone more info on this?

(disclaimer I have not used WDAG Edge for a long time, so could be implemented a long time ago, or my memory cheating on me).

This system is to old to run Windows11, so I am maximizing all build-in features to stay safe until W10 EOL

EDIT: I started to play with Group Policy (thx @oldschool), I also noticed that I now can use GPU hardware acceleration, while in the past WDAG would hang when I enabled it. From the info from the WDAG link, it seems that MS has improved it.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I have not used build-in Edge Application Guard for some time, so I don't know whether it is me remembering it wrong or something has changed.

In the past when I launched WDAG from an inprivate session WDGA edge opened a normal window, bit now it opens an inprivate virtualised session.

Also I noticed that the WDAG container proxy now runs in AppContainer, while I remember they used to run with untrusted Integrity Rights.

Anyone more info on this?

(disclaimer I have not used WDAG Edge for a long time, so could be implemented a long time ago, or my memory cheating on me).

This system is to old to run Windows11, so I am maximizing all build-in features to stay safe until W10 EOL
I haven't read this but it's the most recent link I could find: Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Defender Application Guard

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

I always used one profile, until I read (when I recal correctly) a post from Security Nightmares who used three profiles. I am using two profiles at the moment, using the same extensions (Blank New Tab and UBlock Origin). The profiles have got the name of uBO mode, so it is obvious which mode I am using in easy and hard mode :)

1635668918747.png

Easy mode is used for browsing my bookmarked websites, hard mode for random surfing. That explains why I don't show favorites bar in hard mode. As an old time IE user (protected by GesWall on XP and DefenseWall on Vista), I have the favorites star visible in both profiles. This sort of is the best from both worlds, easy mode for set and forget browsing bookmarked websites and hardmode for safer random surfing. The visual feedback (blue - red ) is so obvious that I know which mode I am using.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
As an old time IE user (protected by GesWall on XP and DefenseWall on Vista), I have the favorites star visible in both profiles.
The favorites button is the one feature that I really like, similar to FF's sidebar.

Brave should add this but their devs are too busy with Brave Ads/Crypto payments issues to add simple, user-friendly browser options - long requested BTW.
Thanks, is the bing search then also gone?
Bing search remains available in the context menu. M$ never forgets, and never lets you forget! :D

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
Yesterday I got the new Edge bar feature on my Microsoft Edge Stable but I dont get the point of this new feature, it pretty much do the same thing that Windows 10’s News and Weather feed or Windows 11 Widgets do. I dont use any of those 3 features but seems stupid to me that Microsoft is doing 3 things that pretty much do the same thing instead of focusing on 1 of those and improve it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.