Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

gigi64

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 14, 2012
when i use web capture and take a photo and save it, it does not open with windows photo and only opens with photos program!

Even when I change the format of the photo with paint, it still does not open! But other photos open without any problems

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Now I'm trying to work for the Edge. There is such a question. When I close the last (or only) tab, the browser itself is closed. Is it possible to make sure that when the last tab is closed, the browser does not close, but goes to an empty new tab (start page)?

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Always check all browser (sync and privacy) settings... in a modern browser.
I store sensitive information only in my passwordmanager (Bitwarden), those things are not synced to Microsoft because I don't store that in my browser.

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
"I received email from two people who told me that Microsoft Edge enabled synching without warning or consent"

Sure because 2 people saying it "must be true", I use Microsoft Edge with with my Microsoft Account synched and Edge always asks me what I want to synch when I first login with my account + in Edge Synch options you have the option to "Reset Microsoft Edge data in the cloud".

Most likely those 2 people that mail him are the type of people that when first uses a browser dont read the messages that appear in the first setup and just click next, next, next...

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
"I received email from two people who told me that Microsoft Edge enabled synching without warning or consent"

Sure because 2 people saying it "must be true", I use Microsoft Edge with with my Microsoft Account synched and Edge always asks me what I want to synch when I first login with my account + in Edge Synch options you have the option to "Reset Microsoft Edge data in the cloud".

Most likely those 2 people that mail him are the type of people that when first uses a browser dont read the messages that appear in the first setup and just click next, next, next...
Setup? In most cases windows 10/11 Edge will come preinstalled for many end users. Where is the choice to click next?

This is not true if you sign in with an M$ account on windows. I never once signed in or enabled sync in Edge. Windows did everything automatically
Just like the browser is installed in Windows automatically. It logged into my outlook account automatically which I only use for my Windows login
exclusively.

Not once did it ask me to sync but did all this without my consent.
So those two people are not wrong.

Dont bother making an argument "oh why you using an M$ online account use a local account."

Last edited:

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
Setup? In most cases windows 10/11 Edge will come preinstalled for many end users. Where is the choice to click next?

This is not true if you sign in with an M$ account on windows. I never once signed in or enabled sync in Edge. Windows did everything automatically
Just like the browser is installed in Windows automatically. It logged into my outlook account automatically which I only use for my Windows login
exclusively.

Not once did it ask me to sync but did all this without my consent.
So those two people are not wrong.

Dont bother making an argument "oh why you using an M$ online account use a local account."
"Setup? In most cases windows 10/11 Edge will come preinstalled for many end users. Where is the choice to click next?"

I am not talking about installation, I am talking about first time you open Edge Chromium and you do the initial setup, during that you are asked if you want to synch your browser data, example here:

" It logged into my outlook account automatically which I only use for my Windows login exclusively."

Not my fault you didnt select the option where apps have to ask you to use your account when you first setup your Microsoft account:

You need to go to Settings -> Accounts -> E-mail and Accounts
ZVPKMG3.jpg

Last edited:

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
" It logged into my outlook account automatically which I only use for my Windows login exclusively."

Not my fault you didnt select the option where apps have to ask you to use your account when you first setup your microsoft account:

You need to go to Settings -> Accounts -> E-mail and Accounts
My MS account was setup long before EDGE became a builtin/bundled service in Windows. Infact its older than EDGE itself.
That option is not available for me in Windows 10. I have to login to account.microsoft.com website to change those settings.

Reason I use an online account is my Windows Key is linked to it and my account is passwordless. Apparently "more secure" according to M$

Last edited:

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
My MS account was setup long before EDGE became a builtin/bundled service in Windows. Infact its older than EDGE itself.
That option is not available for me in Windows 10. I have to login to account.microsoft.com webiste to change those settings.
For me that option was always available even when I was on Windows 10(only upgrade to Windows 11 last month), I always used that option because I didnt like that some games and apps that I install using Microsoft Store were able to use my mail without having to ask me.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I must say, since going full time Edge I’ve fiddled with fewer things ... I’m not a super user, ... I find Edge even more comfortable with less work.
This has been my experience as well. I'm just a bit tired trying to prevent all possible tracking. Thus, the simple set-and-forget setup.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
If you don't want to go through all te settings yourself then the recommended settings of O&O ShutUp10++ are recommended :D
With this tool most issues that were discussed before are resolved.

The only "downside" is that you will see "managed by your organization".

The settings that are changed are visible on this page: edge://policy/

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Microsoft is planning to add a new price tracker to its Edge browser, as well as a new feature that will let people easily change their passwords if they’ve been leaked online. The price tracking feature will be available soon and is designed to track products you’ve recently viewed and alert you of price changes.

Microsoft has focused a lot on shopping improvements with its Edge browser and already has price comparison, price history, and built-in coupons in Edge. “This feature is coming soon and will be built into the browser, so you just need to browse as you normally would, and Microsoft Edge will let you know if any of the items you’ve recently looked at have changed in price,” explains Liat Ben-Zur, a Microsoft executive working on the company’s “Modern Life” initiative.

It’s not clear yet how Microsoft will handle the obvious privacy concerns of its browser tracking products you’re searching for online and their associated prices. Microsoft has traditionally offered a number of privacy-focused controls in Edge, so we’d expect to see similar options here.

Speaking of privacy, Edge is also getting a new useful password tool. Microsoft is piloting a new feature in Edge that will make it easy to update your passwords if they’re leaked online. Edge already monitors leaked passwords if you allow it to do so, and soon you’ll be able to navigate directly to a site’s change password page for affected credentials. Edge will then create a new, unique, and strong password. “Easy update is only available across a limited number of sites to start, but we will be working diligently to expand this list in the coming months,” says Ben-Zur.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It’s not clear yet how Microsoft will handle the obvious privacy concerns of its browser tracking products you’re searching for online and their associated prices. Microsoft has traditionally offered a number of privacy-focused controls in Edge, so we’d expect to see similar options here.
Probably, but it'll be one more bloated invasive "feature" to disable.

Every update requires a stroll through the settings to disable, disable, disable ...

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft Edge is getting price change alerts, easy password changes, and an 'efficiency mode'
efficiency mode -- there's nothing terribly complex here. If you're using Edge on a laptop that's a little low on power, the browser will automatically re-calibrate its RAM and CPU usage to extend your battery life. This feature can be toggled on or off in Edge's "System and Performance" Settings menu, above the "Sleeping tabs" option.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.