Microsoft has stopped the spread of Windows Update 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809)

palwan

Level 1
Sep 28, 2018
I did a fresh install of it this morning, don't know how to find it out I have faulty win10?

If you have manually downloaded the Windows 10 October 2018 Update installation media, please don’t install it and wait until new media is available.
And does this mean I have to go back to older version, install the old media creation tool create new bootable win10 and install?

edit: the error issue with creating media tool happened to me with British English, but work fine with US English.

The question is now is this issue with all languages or some specific language are affected?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

If anyone use SUA, i want you to set a PIN in both accounts., put UAC at max settings and trigger a prompt from it.
You should normally see the "more choice" option in the prompt.
Do it several times successively, the bug is that the "more choice" sometimes does not show up. If you can replicate, post a screenshot here.

Thx for your cooperation.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Everything went fine on my laptop, but I didn't upgrade the Windows on the desktop PC. So far everything works smooth and I haven't encountered any larger bugs. The only bug I found was the wrong CPU usage and that's it. :)

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Attachments

• 11c68a5023ce778613b07b1f244a56fa2104305a7cd15e446eab5e588ed5e221.jpg
    11c68a5023ce778613b07b1f244a56fa2104305a7cd15e446eab5e588ed5e221.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Update info.
Official announcement:
"We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating." https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history
So they are still in denial about Edge and Windows Store not being able to connect for people who have IPv6 disabled... Interesting.

At this point I would like to make a lil PSA. Windows 10 now stores your Clipboard History and even allows your clipboard history to travel through the Internet and be used by Cortana. Good luck trying to transfer your password. What a beautifully massive attack vector. To disable Clipboard history in Group Policy check this out:
Enable or Disable Clipboard History in Windows 10

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Along with the cpu bug in task manager and sometimes failed updates in Windows store, I am getting this weird thing when I check for updates in v1809 (Good thing this doesn't actually install the update again). Other than that no major bug here.
Annotation.png

Microsoft, I am already on 1809 lol.

I did a fresh install of it this morning, don't know how to find it out I have faulty win10?

And does this mean I have to go back to older version, install the old media creation tool create new bootable win10 and install?

edit: the error issue with creating media tool happened to me with British English, but work fine with US English.

The question is now is this issue with all languages or some specific language are affected?
If you are not facing any major issues then you don't need to do anything. Otherwise just wait for next Cumulative update next week.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
What a beautifully massive attack vector. To disable Clipboard history in Group Policy check this out:
Already prepared for it. Malware authors will rejoice, once the word spreads out. :D
Some people think, that disabling clipboard service will disable clipboard, that is not the case.
Code:
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\cbdhsvc" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "4" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Clipboard" /v "EnableClipboardHistory " /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" /v "AllowCrossDeviceClipboard " /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" /v "AllowClipboardHistory" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Already prepared for it. Malware authors will rejoice, once the word spreads out. :D
Some people think, that disabling clipboard service will disable clipboard, that is not the case.
Code:
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\cbdhsvc" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "4" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Clipboard" /v "EnableClipboardHistory " /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" /v "AllowCrossDeviceClipboard " /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" /v "AllowClipboardHistory" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
Jesus they even created a service to collect clipboard history. The NSA's dream coming true. Do you happen to know if there are already ways to create rules so that Clipboard History will not send out anything? I honestly cannot trust Windows anymore. Even Group policy is failing to apply rules occasionally. Nothing is safe anymore.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Manjaro is only distro that works for me.

Well, everybody's got their favorite distro. I find Arch Linux and Manjaro quite unstable. Good that it runs for you.
But I'm not aware that an update deletes files in such distros. I don't know, but maybe some new kernel updates didn't work for you. But if such a case occurs you can boot from the older kernel in the bootloader, with Windows it doesn't work ;)

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
Why I always have problems with updates! Windows downloaded the 1809 update 3 days ago and tried to install and it always failed. I experienced the same like 6 months ago when i updated to 1803. This is my last Windows PC,moving to Mac next year! :(

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
If anyone use SUA, i want you to set a PIN in both accounts., put UAC at max settings and trigger a prompt from it.
You should normally see the "more choice" option in the prompt.
Do it several times successively, the bug is that the "more choice" sometimes does not show up. If you can replicate, post a screenshot here.

Thx for your cooperation.
eKnFSMg.png

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
I haven't upgraded yet. To be honest I couldn't be bothered as there was nothing new on offer that grabbed my attention. Don't get me wrong I like Windows 10 but these feature updates couldn't be more dull - but not nearly as boring as using an Apple Mac!

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.