Microsoft looks ready to launch Windows 11

ZeePriest

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
Ms being Ms we can't just throw away the possibility of windows 11, there is every chance that they will name it "windows 11" and say this is "a completely new os and a 200% improvement over windows 10" and there wont be free upgrade but a paid update. So lets wait and see.
imo I think they'll offer it for free at first just like they did with windows 10 unless you have a source that says the opposite.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Can they please please finally fix upgrades? I have never had a successful automatic update to a new Windows version. I always have to use the media creation tool because the previous Windows version is sabotaging the newer version.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Microsoft doesn't need to drop its proprietary kernel, it would be crazy and stupid to do so.

Mac isn't based on Linux and Google wants to move on from Linux kernel.
re: Microsoft: I was just joking

re: Android: When Google moves away by forking it and developing it independantly (like they dit with webkit and blink), it will still be based on Linux

re: Mac-OS: Mac-OS is based on NextStep NextStep was based on the Unix Mack kernel with added code derived from BCD. GNU/Linux is not Unix ( google GNU :) ), but due to the Posix standard, software written for Unix can be compiled for Linux. Many tools and scripts meant for a Linux system work easily within the macOS terminal.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
re: Microsoft: I was just joking

re: Android: When Google moves away by forking it and developing it independantly (like they dit with webkit and blink), it will still be based on Linux

re: Mac-OS: Mac-OS is based on NextStep NextStep was based on the Unix Mack kernel with added code derived from BCD. GNU/Linux is not Unix ( google GNU :) ), but due to the Posix standard, software written for Unix can be compiled for Linux. Many tools and scripts meant for a Linux system work easily within the macOS terminal.

Android: It wont be Linux, it will be Fuchsia, with another kind of kernel, with another paradigm in mind.

Mac OS: Like you said now, it is an Unix like kernel, it isnt Linux.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I believe that the major revamp of the UI design is the essence of what we call Win11. In other words, the core of the system will not change. If such changes are going to be made, the timing of this announcement is too late. For enthusiasts like us, it's not a big deal, but for the average user, the changes in the way it looks and works will have enough impact to make us feel the evolution.

In my personal opinion, it is time to officially change the name of Windows itself to Win OS or something similar.

L

Local Host

I believe that the major revamp of the UI design is the essence of what we call Win11. In other words, the core of the system will not change. If such changes are going to be made, the timing of this announcement is too late. For enthusiasts like us, it's not a big deal, but for the average user, the changes in the way it looks and works will have enough impact to make us feel the evolution.

In my personal opinion, it is time to officially change the name of Windows itself to Win OS or something similar.
It is mostly a UI design, which is why I find all this W11 ridiculous, and the same way I have no hype whatsoever for it.

Windows 10 has had multiple UI re-designs over the years since it was released, and Microsoft never managed to finish any of them, the OS is filled with half-baked UI re-designs.

Which make W10 inconsistent and ugly, there's no evidence to believe this will be any different (this a clear case of believe it when you see it, all this hype will just disappoint everyone).

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
It is mostly a UI design, which is why I find all this W11 ridiculous, and the same way I have no hype whatsoever for it.

Windows 10 has had multiple UI re-designs over the years since it was released, and Microsoft never managed to finish any of them, the OS is filled with half-baked UI re-designs.

Which make W10 inconsistent and ugly, there's no evidence to believe this will be any different (this a clear case of believe it when you see it, all this hype will just disappoint everyone).
I think what Microsoft and Windows UI lacks is a design philosophy. It is clearly influenced by Android and Mac.
They are inconsistent because they just change their clothes to fit the fashion.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I think what Microsoft and Windows UI lacks is a design philosophy. It is clearly influenced by Android and Mac.
The various UIs are getting accused of copying each other. From the post by @venustus earlier today - I used Android without Google — here are the pros and cons

"..If you forego the iOS-y feel of the stock launcher, you can have yourself a far more functional Google-less experience than what you’d find on Lineage OS .."

We could soon end up with a clone of a clone of a clone for our various OSs.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I made some negative comments, but that doesn't mean I'm not uninterested.
I am enjoying the mood of win11 (tentative name) ahead of time.:)
キャプチャ.PNG

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can they please please finally fix upgrades? I have never had a successful automatic update to a new Windows version. I always have to use the media creation tool because the previous Windows version is sabotaging the newer version.
Certain software and hardware can prevent immediate upgrades.

Microsoft need to account for thousands of soft/hardware configurations, whereas Apple can deploy OS updates to known configurations.

Similar to Google can push updates to Pixels far quicker than compared to a OnePlus phone, or carrier-locked Samsung phone.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.