CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
👀

Please do use create a restore or backup system image

Last week, Microsoft officially unveiled the Windows 11 operating system. At the event, the company confirmed that it plans to roll out Windows 11 for Insiders soon. With Windows 11, Microsoft also increased the minimum specification requirements forcing people to upgrade their devices if they want to install Windows 11 later this year.

However, the company still plans to seed Windows 11 Insider builds to Windows Insiders with unsupported hardware. The only condition was to be enrolled into the Windows Insiders program before 24th June. If you missed the deadline to enroll, then you can follow a simple Registry edit (via HTNovo) to enroll into the Dev ring and receive Windows 11 builds. Before we proceed, please note that Registry edits can damage your system so do it at your own risk. With that out of the way, lets proceed with the steps to bypass the restriction:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I think Microsoft probably expected criticisms and complaints about hardware configuration-dependent limitations.:unsure:

My unsubstantiated imagination.
User: "The pc I've been using for three years is now excluded from 11. It's terrible to exclude a PC that I can use comfortably."
MS: "Win10 will be available until 2025. At that time, your pc will be 8 years old. It is a good time to replace your hardware. You can start using 11 comfortably then."

The 10 support period until 2025 seems to have been replaced by the grace period to introduce 11.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I think Microsoft probably expected criticisms and complaints about hardware configuration-dependent limitations.:unsure:

User: "The pc I've been using for three years is now excluded from 11. It's terrible to exclude a PC that I can use comfortably."
MS: "Win10 will be available until 2025. At that time, your pc will be 8 years old. It is a good time to replace your hardware. You can start using 11 comfortably then."

The 10 support period until 2025 seems to have been replaced by the grace period to introduce 11.
I don't want to be in their place when they eventually announce a 64bit only Windows...

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I don't want to be in their place when they eventually announce a 64bit only Windows...
Again, my unfounded idea.;)

If 2025 is reached without the expected development, I think it is possible that an os different from 11 will be released in the sense of a remedy. Probably a system like 11 that supports 32bit and omits the function.
The 11 specifications will have a significant impact on Windows market share. It is unlikely that Microsoft will force a release that will only risk losing users.
Sometimes they are pushy, sometimes they are gentlemanly at the critical moment; Microsoft is a gigolo.🕵️‍♂️

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
so there is uncertainty with the cpu.
An article posted here says Microsoft is testing 7th gen processors for 11 compatibility and possibly 6th gen at a later time. So, this is a hopeful sign b/c this whole 11 thing is a hot mess. Feedback Hub is loaded with complaints.

Speaking of which: anyone running Windows 11 build 22000.51 and just Defender? Ever since I installed this build today, every time I restart the machine, Automatic sample submission is toggled to "off" in the Security Center settings. It can be enabled easily enough and it stays enabled until the next time you start/restart.

I tried lots of things like uninstalling H_C, Sandboxie and OSA, clean boot, sfc and dism and nothing worked. So I made a post in the Feedback Hub and there are several other complaints registered there also. So, if you experience this, you're not alone. Hopefully, it's fixed soon.

wat0114

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
An article posted here says Microsoft is testing 7th gen processors for 11 compatibility and possibly 6th gen at a later time. So, this is a hopeful sign b/c this whole 11 thing is a hot mess. Feedback Hub is loaded with complaints.
Maybe there is hope on the horizon after all, although I won't lose sleep if Microsoft adheres to their original plan on hardware requirements. I'll just continue on Windows 10, likely until its EOL date.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I feel like they won't go through TPM requirement. Atleast not until few years after Windows 11 release or until Windows 12. People won't throw their older systems for Windows 11. So many people don't buy new devices often. And MS wouldn't want more fragmentation and so many people using older or outdated OS.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015

The problem is Microsoft still sells some of their devices with 7th gen processors. Surface Studio is very expensive and I don't think its users will be kept in the dark. And if Microsoft allows 7th gen processor from Surface Studio to run 11, they will have to allow all PCs with 7th gen to run 11. They can't specifically say Surface Studio can upgrade, but all other PCs with the same CPU gen cannot.
Windows 11 will be 64-bit only OS. That's why they require 64-bit processor at minimum. I think it was about time that happens; first 64-bit CPUs were introduced back in 2003 if I'm not mistaken.
I feel like they won't go through TPM requirement. Atleast not until few years after Windows 11 release or until Windows 12. People won't throw their older systems for Windows 11. So many people don't buy new devices often. And MS wouldn't want more fragmentation and so many people using older or outdated OS.
The system requirements we saw were just a guessing. I expect Microsoft and PC vendors to thorougly test Windows 11 on variety of hardware. Even birds on the trees are aware that Windows 11 can run on any processor that runs on Windows 7.

In case they proceed with dumb requirements, there will be bunch of workaround...

Last edited:

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
It seems that relaxation of conditions is being considered.
That's better, let the user decide if he wants additional security by way of using TPM 2.0 or newer secure processors. Best way is to serve a warning on user that " your system does not meet the security standards and hence the following features will not work.... We advise you to upgrade to a newer secure system". With that imho nobody will have any issue with windows 11.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
That's better, let the user decide if he wants additional security by way of using TPM 2.0 or newer secure processors. Best way is to serve a warning on user that " your system does not meet the security standards and hence the following features will not work.... We advise you to upgrade to a newer secure system". With that imho nobody will have any issue with windows 11.
Exactly! My current 6 years old laptop doesn't support Windows Hello, but even if it did, I wouldn't use it. I just stick with password, so I don't see the reason why should I buy the new laptop if current one doesn't support something I have no intention to use.

I can understand UEFI and Secure Boot requirement, it's present on PCs since 2013, if I'm not mistaken again. But making TPM 2.0 requirement which only newer PCs have is ridiculous. I'm not even using BitLocker, so TPM on my PC would be useless.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Speaking of which: anyone running Windows 11 build 22000.51 and just Defender? Ever since I installed this build today, every time I restart the machine, Automatic sample submission is toggled to "off" in the Security Center settings. It can be enabled easily enough and it stays enabled until the next time you start/restart.
Yeah, same here. I faced a few other bugs too like the date format on the taskbar. By default, it's set to USA format of MM/DD/Year which I don't like but can't change it now even if I try. Then, show desktop button's placement is slightly out of place. The Settings app is very very buggy. Crashes every now and then. But Microsoft Defender's performance has improved quite a lot for me.
But this is only a developer build, also the very first one. So bugs are expected. All the common bugs will be sorted out before the stable release.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.