Microsoft offers troubleshooting tool to help users easily fix issues with Windows updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft offers troubleshooting tool to help users easily fix issues with Windows updates

If you've ever encountered an issue while trying to install a Windows update, you'll probably know what a frustrating process it can be to diagnose and resolve the problem.

Microsoft's support documentation for dealing with the error codes generated by such issues isn't always helpful; and information shared by the user community on its support forums can be useful, but is often undermined by conflicting (and sometimes ill-informed) suggestions. Web searches for info on error codes are often a waste of time, and regularly lead to 'solutions' that do more harm than good.

So it's certainly welcome to see Microsoft try to make this whole process a bit easier to deal with, by offering a troubleshooting tool to help users address issues that arise when trying to install Windows updates.

As Microsoft explains:

This guided walk-through provides steps to fix problems when installing updates. Here are some commonly seen error codes: 0x80073712, 0x800705B4, 0x80004005, 0x8024402F, 0x80070002, 0x80070643, 0x80070003, 0x8024200B, 0x80070422, 0x80070020. These steps should help with all errors and not just the ones listed.

How does it work?

We’ll walk you through a series of troubleshooting steps to get your Windows up to date. Be sure to follow the steps in order.

The troubleshooter offers support for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, but notes that "if you are using Windows 8, you need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 because Windows 8 is no longer supported."

The tool will take you through various steps to try to fix the problem - such as downloading and running the Windows Update Troubleshooter, installing the latest update manually, or more complex suggestions - before eventually advising that "you need to reset or reinstall" Windows if none of its other recommendations are successful.

Source: Microsoft Support via MSPoweruser

Please let us know if this helped you or you think it will be helpful

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
So far had zero problems with updates. I currently use the getting updates from other sources option. :)

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Usually using WSUS update utility when in trouble but will check this out in a week or so when I plan for my yearly reinstall. If I encounter issues that is.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I've encountered a first time error on the cumulative update which successfully revert automatically to normal state; fortunately when I repeated the process then it managed to installed properly.

Well if I were to Microsoft then return the option about 'asking to download the update first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.