Microsoft Office for Android - New Features & Updates

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Office going over to the dark side on a phone is welcome.

Does anyone know how heavy on resources Office for Android is?

I don't have a big need for documents on my phone and I'm not going to spend forever swiping databases or spreadsheets on it and wishing I had better eyesight, but it might be good to have just in case I really need it one day - while stuck on a train with no other device to work with; for example.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does anyone know how heavy on resources Office for Android is?
I've only used it for light editing of Word and Excel files and never noticed any "slowdowns" on a Snapdragon 845 with 3GB RAM.

For any real usage, I recommend using the Online app or Full desktop app for a better view and full keyboard/typing access.

Slowdown may be caused by aging hardware, not enough memory, software problems, incompatibilities etc. Troubleshooting is suggested, but if the device is old then upgrade is advisable.

You can pick up a new mid-range Android from around $400+.

Keep an Android phone for 3-4 years, or iPhones for 4-5 years.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I've only used it for light editing of Word and Excel files and never noticed any "slowdowns" on a Snapdragon 845 with 3GB RAM.

For any real usage, I recommend using the Online app or Full desktop app for a better view and full keyboard/typing access.

Slowdown may be caused by aging hardware, not enough memory, software problems, incompatibilities etc. Troubleshooting is suggested, but if the device is old then upgrade is advisable.

You can pick up a new mid-range Android from around $400+.

Keep an Android phone for 3-4 years, or iPhones for 4-5 years.
Thanks for the feedback @Spawn

That is pretty much as I expected. I can't imagine doing much with a document, let alone Excel, without a full sized screen or keyboard, too much scrolling and switching to the keyboard screen on a phone. I can live without it on a phone, much like I managed for many years before we had phones on us all of the time, things can wait until I am at a desk.

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.