New Update Microsoft Outlook extension is now available in preview for Edge

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Outlook is available on multiple platforms already including the web, iOS, and Android. But today, without much fanfare, Microsoft seems to have made its new Outlook extension for Edge available for the public, albeit with a "preview" tag. The name of the extension is "Microsoft Outlook" but the "preview" iconography can be seen its store listing.

The extension, which can be downloaded from the Microsoft Edge Add-ons store here, essentially allows you to use Outlook directly in any tab of the browser without opening a new window. After you download it, an icon for Outlook will be visible on the address bar, and when you sign in, you'll be able to get a view of your emails, calendar, contacts, and tasks, among other things. The features mentioned in the store listing are as follows:
  • Access work or personal accounts
  • Read, send, and manage email and get new email notifications
  • Create events, view upcoming ones, and join online meetings
  • Create, track, and manage tasks
  • Manage contacts
It is important to note that the extension can only be downloaded on Microsoft Edge and is not compatible with other browsers like Google Chrome.

The store listing indicates that the extension was last updated on June 14, 2021, so it's currently unclear whether it has just been made available to the public or if it's only been discovered now. Given the lack of an official announcement from Microsoft as well as the fact that it doesn't pop up in search results, any possibility is equally likely. Although some users have reported they have already started seeing ads for the extension in their Outlook clients. We'll let you know when Microsoft officially announces the extension but in the meantime, you can take it for a spin on Edge here.

The source

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
That's great. Firefox too hopefully.

Weird. Maybe this will get fixed before the stable release.
Hopefully Firefox will be supported, but Microsoft didn't release any new extensions like Microsoft Editor for Firefox so i don't think so.

Maybe because live.nl is consumer mailadres it is not supported, because the page I linked to says:
Outlook and Exchange for Business: Microsoft Outlook browser extension for Edge
Or a consumer outlook.com mailadres will work, i don't know.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Hopefully Firefox will be supported, but Microsoft didn't release any new extensions like Microsoft Editor for Firefox so i don't think so.
I was thinking about it too after writing my previous comment. Same case for the Defender browser protection extension. So I should not expect it.

Maybe because live.nl is consumer mailadres it is not supported, because the page I linked to says:
Outlook and Exchange for Business: Microsoft Outlook browser extension for Edge
Oh! I just tried it and it's working with my email for "outlook.live.com".

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.