Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Microsoft removes policies from Windows 10 Pro
by Martin Brinkmann on July 28, 2016 in Windows - Last Update:July 29, 2016 177

Professional editions of Windows 10 ship with the Group Policy Editor that enables users and administrators to make changes to the default configuration of the operating system.

Up until now, policy availability was more or less identical for all professional versions of Windows 10. Turns out, this is no longer the case when the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is released.

Some policies contain a note stating that they only apply to certain editions of Windows 10, with Windows 10 Pro not being listed as one of them.

Note: This setting only applies to Enterprise, Education, and Server SKUs

Furthermore, the corresponding Registry keys are not working either anymore which means that Pro users have no option to make changes to features affected by the change.

Update official Microsoft source
Microsoft published a new article on Technet that confirms that policies related to "tips and tricks" and "store suggestions" cannot be disabled anymore on Windows 10 Pro.

The comments on this article make for interesting reading.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Well, I've only just recently installed Windows 10 pro, but it looks like enterprise for me now.

Edit To add: I've been using Linux based systems for a good while now and if I didn't like Win 10 so much I'd switch back.

Butterfly

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2015
How convenient that all of this is being announced now that the offer to upgrade is over, got them all upgraded great! now lets start gradually monetizing and milking cash out of them to the maximum!
I'm assuming that as time goes by we will hear more bad news like this. My laptop is already running Linux, and as soon as most AAA games start supporting Linux my gaming machine will run Linux too (which will sadly not happen in the very near future, but I have hope that enough people will eventually be sick of M$ and go to the free open-source alternative).

Last edited:

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
How convenient that all of this is being announced now that the offer to upgrade is over, got them all upgraded great! now lets start gradually monetizing and milking cash out of them to the maximum!
I'm assuming that as time goes by we will hear more bad news like this. My laptop is already running Linux, and as soon as most AAA games start supporting Linux my gaming machine will run Linux too (which will sadly not happen in the very near future, but I have hope that enough people will eventually be sick of M$ and go to the free open-source alternative).
yup, already got tired of it few weeks back, though I was the one of the most interested users to try windows 10 on its release & even before its official release of stable version! No more!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Well I am on Pro... What does this do? I didn't really understand. :p Does this mean I have to use WD?
The Anniversary Update affects what's available for Pro users, via Local Group Policy edit (gpedit).

For example, if you try to use a service / program disabled with gpedit, you'll get a notification "Please contact your system administrator".

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.