Microsoft says Intel driver bug crashes apps on Windows PCs

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Microsoft says apps using DirectX are crashing on Windows systems with outdated Intel drivers after installing November 2022 cumulative updates. On affected systems, users will see apphelp.dll errors (Application Compatibility Client Library) from apps that use DirectX because of outdated Intel GPU drivers. "You might receive an error with apphelp.dll on Windows devices using Intel graphics drivers with versions 26.20.100.7463 up to 30.0.101.1190," Redmond explains. "This issue might happen intermittently and affects apps which use DirectX or Direct3D to render part or all of their content. "The impacted Windows platforms list includes server (Windows Server 2022) and client (Windows 11 22H2, Windows 10 22H2, Windows 11 21H2, Windows 10 21H2, Windows 10 20H2, and Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019) releases.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
There's something wrong with Microsoft update system. Every time I update Graphics driver to version 30.xx. from Intel website, Windows downgrades it to version 26.xx. during Windows update.
I really wish they would stop with that spec.🥴
Radion will not be able to open the settings from the context menu after applying the update from Microsoft.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

There's something wrong with Microsoft update system. Every time I update Graphics driver to version 30.xx. from Intel website, Windows downgrades it to version 26.xx. during Windows update.
This has been an issue for a long time now. You have to disable updates of driver from Windows Update.

• +Reputation
Reactions: zkSnark and show-Zi

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
A place to start, good luck.
A more simpler way would be to use Gpedit to set Windows update to notify instead of automatically installing and then using Windows update hide tool to hide the "bad driver" update. This way there are no limitations on manually updating drivers.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I use DUMo and Intel's driver update and support tool on my Windows machine to update Intel drivers. I know I know it's another tool but it's official. I agree with zkSnark Windows install old versions of both Intel graphics and Intel wireless drivers. Back in the old days Windows would update the Intel graphics driver to an older version even when a newer one was installed (n)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.