Microsoft script installs Folding@Home in Windows 10's Sandbox

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
Microsoft has released a PowerShell script that allows you to quickly start donating your CPU cycles to the Folding@Home project by deploying the program in the Windows 10 Sandbox.

The Folding@Home project is a distributed computing project that allows people to donate their CPU cycles to simulate the folding of proteins to research diseases and news drugs and treatments.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Really? Where do you get that information from. I'm simply curious as I personal don't use this and wasn't anything I could read from that article.

Only thing I do know though, I'm no fan of Windows Sandbox. Every new session requires new installations or a use of script for automatic download and installation. Sure one can just jump start it as is, but one can't actually do serious analysis with it " out of the box ". It's also much slower in general when I compare it with Hyper-V.

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
Really? Where do you get that information from. I'm simply curious as I personal don't use this and wasn't anything I could read from that article.

Only thing I do know though, I'm no fan of Windows Sandbox. Every new session requires new installations or a use of script for automatic download and installation. Sure one can just jump start it as is, but one can't actually do serious analysis with it " out of the box ". It's also much slower in general when I compare it with Hyper-V.
I'm also not a fan of Windows Sandbox
I do not use it at all
But since it exists it may be suitable for use by other people. :)
Polar bears are very strong.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Personal I would rather recommend a service like AnyRun for a quick test. It's just a registration away for the free access. Only downside is that for Windows 10 environment it's a bit expensive.
Still, I'm a bit curious listen on people that been running the folding@home project. @plat1098 , what's your experience so far?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, I'm very much a beginner at this, for sure. I'd removed it because there were no work units, yet my gpu was running continuously for several hours at 75 deg C with no project assigned. So I took a break. Now you reminded me so it's currently folding for Team TechPowerUp again. (y) The project concerns protein simulation.

As far as hammering your hardware, yes it does if you select to Fold at Full capacity. I do this setting for one work unit (typically around 2 hours) at a time. You can select Light or Medium power also for less stress on hardware. It can add to your electric bill depending on the hardware so that's another consideration.

An example of my Task Manager: I can browse and do minor things but don't risk anything more, like gaming. So maybe some Spring Cleaning or something.

fah full power.png

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I run this tool now for 3? Weeks at weekend if I use my PC and got 200K points in this time.
At beginning it takes a very long time and I even reinstall it two times and check if something was blocked because nothing happened.

But then I found the good log output in "advanced window" which give all positive and negative info.
It works now good and I always use it at middle settings which is no problem for normal usage and streaming but of course not recommend for gaming.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.