Not open for further replies.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I wish MSE had been continued for XP, and likewise the OS itself, which Avira free guards. Yesterday, I added Time Freeze to XP, although according to Capt. Nemo, "..the Nautilus may never sail the (internet) seas again".:oops: It's about time to update my configuration too!;)

Last edited:
Reactions: nissimezra
D

Deleted member 178

Windows XP never dies..... Speaking of XP I still have one.... I've had it since XP came out.... not used it in about a year...

XP will die when users will encounter many many infections due to exploits.

Umbra's famous Quote:

"WinXP still alive?..., yes my young disciple, same as people unaware of their terminal state cancer, they don't know yet but they are already dead..."

Aug 22, 2014
My sons pc crashed he instals games visits dubious sites etc, I did safemode system restore .He had MSE with real time protection.Ran MSE scan - showed clean . Ran HitMan scan detected 69 infections including a few trojans , ran Mbam showed similar 65 infections & "security hijacks" and removed them . Ran Kaspersky TDSS killer detected rootkit ! ("medium risk" )& removed it .A few different scanners used with clean results.
Finally used Dr Web Cure-it in EPM mode and fakeav detected plus host item cured & deleted.
Rebooted & Hitman & Mbam rescanned clean. Ditched MSE & installed Avast ,boot sector scan found pup . MSE appears not just basic its dangerously useless . thanks
The only "threat" I've ever seen detected by Microsoft's Phone-HomeWare is the Daz Loader I once used to activate Win7 - a threat to nothing but Microsoft's bottom-line of course. I've seen PCs running Win8 and bundled with the same ForceWare consider a PC infected so badly as to require me to disactivate said malware from WinPE come up after an hour of wasted MSE scanning as "not-infected". I felt stupid for even suggesting a scan with it to the person who was asked to clean up this PC.

W

wordsmith

@nissimezra,

>>>>now installing ESET, Avast, and other do don't disable it and it run with them with no prob.<<<<

i think you are wrong there...installing any antivirus does disable / turn off windows defender in windows 8.

i know that for sure with bit defender, kaspersky & trend micro.

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
XP will die when users will encounter many many infections due to exploits.

Umbra's famous Quote:

"WinXP still alive?..., yes my young disciple, same as people unaware of their terminal state cancer, they don't know yet but they are already dead..."
I think windows 8 will die long before xp, well, on the other hand win 8 is dying already. as long as Qihoo, avast, timefreeze etc will continue support XP it'll be on the market.

BTW, i still prefer xp over 8.

As for MSE, as long as MS will keep it alive it will continue to be no 1 but, big but
MS discontinued MSE from win 8 and on, we have mix WD with MSE.
WD on win 8 is the same as on 7 with the same signature as MSE.

so MSE is already discontinued.

Reactions: Šovelén

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft Security Essentials has not been discontinued.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=5201

Available for Windows Vista and 7, it affects Windows XP SP3 users only - which ended support in April 2014.

WD is a rebranded version of MSE, but exclusive to Windows 8 that incorporates a full Antivirus + Antispyware module, including Dynamic signatures (etc.). That's why MSE is not compatible and cannot be installed on Windows 8.

Reactions: Edward ST

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
@nissimezra,

>>>>now installing ESET, Avast, and other do don't disable it and it run with them with no prob.<<<<

i think you are wrong there...installing any antivirus does disable / turn off windows defender in windows 8.

i know that for sure with bit defender, kaspersky & trend micro.
I know they dont disable it on 7 and 8 coz it's WD not MSE

Last edited:

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
If MSE/WD were not slow to read folders with lot of executables i will definitely not need any other AVs anymore
Very much agree. Windows Defender is integrated very well into the OS, and is a very light solution but causes too much lags on executables.

W

wordsmith

@nissimezra,

your posts are full of contradictions & totally misleading. you even contradict what you yourself have posted.

you make a claim & then contradict it...please do not argue just for the sake of increasing your post count.

on the microsoft security essentials thread you criticize microsoft security essentials but on the 360 total security

thread you are in favour of microsoft security essentials.

for your opinion to be respected you need to take a side & stick with it.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
@nissimezra,

your posts are full of contradictions & totally misleading. you even contradict what you yourself have posted.

you make a claim & then contradict it...please do not argue just for the sake of increasing your post count.

on the microsoft security essentials thread you criticize microsoft security essentials but on the 360 total security

thread you are in favour of microsoft security essentials.

for your opinion to be respected you need to take a side & stick with it.

What nissimezra meant is that he switched to 360 IS from the current AV, MSE because the former was better.

But if 360IS is no longer going to be developed, he'll switch back to MSE.

Let's not spread bad blood here.

Reactions: nissimezra

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
What nissimezra meant is that he switched to 360 IS from the current AV, MSE because the former was better.

But if 360IS is no longer going to be developed, he'll switch back to MSE.

Let's not spread bad blood here.
thank you!
360IS is great product, lighter and much better than MSE. but 360TS bad for me, if no 360IS to use I'll go back to MSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.