Microsoft Security Essentials is a useless AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
i was talking the IS versions
IS versions are no better at protection reckless users, I know because I have customers that have bought just about all security suites from different vendors and still came back highly infected. They were just wasting their money and still getting infections.

Limited User Accounts is the only hope for these kind of users.

Enjoy!! :D

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
MSE is useless?? nah...I simply disagree with that ;)
MSE is a good Av, yes it's detection is poor among the others, but keep in mind..MSE is one of the lowest false positive AV out there, according to my experience MSE never gave me any false positive result like the other AV does.

"Essential" which means it's really protect the essential thing on your windows, so if a user use it for dodging/catching PUP/PUM/Ad-ware you would likely to be disappointed, but when MSE is used for "protecting your essential OS" then yes it's does the job very well done.
Also...I heard MSE only catch "Live Malware" not some kind of small/potential annoying software, to be honest I don't really understand what is "Live Malware" means..but I guess what "live malware" means is some kind of very dangerous malware that can seriously damage your OS/computer.

So for anyone that want an AV that can give user various result or detecting many things, it's obvious MSE isn't a good choice, but for anyone that don't really understand about computer, or for anyone that want keep things simple,free and protecting the "essential", then MSE is a good choice :)
I've been using MSE for the last 5 years almost, since ive started using it ive got 1 or 2 infection, and not 1 pc the whole family, friends 20 pc's, yes it's doing a great job. lately i can feel that ms product are not the same, even WD offline couldn't clean zero day malware when the OS was infected with more then 1 malware, avast rescue cd did.
they are not investing in the cleaning product like they use to. it's not fair its their product that we're buing and the suppose to protect us

cheers

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
ether way mse is useless now and Microsoft should just pull the plug on it
Based on what commercial AV tests that are sponsored by the vendors in question?? As you can see many users are protected by MSE and it does its job. MSE is only useless if the users can not control their mouse clicks and downloading habits. Oh I almost forgot to say that applies to all security products as well. You can give someone instructions on how to ride a bike, you can even let them watch you ride it, but the bike is still useless to them until they learn how to ride it for themselves.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Based on what commercial AV tests that are sponsored by the vendors in question?? As you can see many users are protected by MSE and it does its job. MSE is only useless if the users can not control their mouse clicks and downloading habits. Oh I almost forgot to say that applies to all security products as well. You can give someone instructions on how to ride a bike, you can even let them watch you ride it, but the bike is still useless to them until they learn how to ride it for themselves.

iu

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
They listed malwarebytes on there, but it isn't a antivirus....
Technically speaking none of those products are Anti-virus, since viruses no longer target home users, the majority of malware today is composed of mostly Trojans and MBAM does an excellent job detecting and removing most. So I believe they did right by including MBAM.

Thanks. :D

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
There is no way Microsoft is going to kill off MSE when it still holds the largest AV Market Shares- http://www.opswat.com/about/media/reports/antivirus-january-2014

MSE is the most popular AV to date to hold more than 15% of AV market Shares World Wide. The only other AV that has come close is Avast.

well they already did.it depend how you look at it, MSE now is kind of built in win 8 as WD with improvement, it is acting the same as WD in win 7 adding the same engine as MSE, so its kind of WD more then MSE.
I've heard a lot of complain from users world wide claiming that it's lack a lot of features from MSE, right click scan, scheduled scan, so it's more like WD then MSE. MSE use to disable WD. now installing ESET, Avast, and other do don't disable it and it run with them with no prob.
in another word MS actually did cut the plug on MSE from WIN 8 and on, making the users understand that from now on no MSE, just an improve version of WD. and WD is just WD so add an AV.

remember no MSE can be install in win 8. as an mse user i'd rather have mse, and its not only me

i hope explained myself.

cheers

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013

oh i test a long time ago as well back when the malware was meaner and i didn't set up my av review eps back then

Reactions: nissimezra

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
What I noticed is every AV or Suite that "sucks" in your tests should be scrapped. Meanwhile your G-Data scores 60% on a zero-day test (haven't a link or source), but you defend it. :rolleyes:
are you say that panda should get some suck because it let in a rootkit

Reactions: nissimezra

acme

Level 1
Apr 29, 2012
@acme
Dear Acme,
Kindly could you tell us what virus guards are Installed on your PC (how many Virus guards) guard your PC
include third party FireWall, and on what windows you are on..eg windows 7, 8, 8.x
personally i'm curious..Thanks.

Left off this Win 7 firewall test.......Windows 7 firewall did better than some paid versions.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/avc_fw_201403_en.pdf

http://www.westcoastlabs.com/realTimeTesting/article/?articleID=1

:)

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
yes you're right Acme, nowadays we are not rely just on that AV test, you should test by yourself and ask,help
to several forum related to this purposes, sorry my impression to Softpedia AV test i guess it's not so independent

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013

Thanks for the link to the 2014 firewall test. Shame on them for not including Comodo and Private Firewall, however.

The 2011 AV article is too remote for me. My sense is that a lot of people who were bullish on MSE in 2011 have bailed out on it. I don't agree it should be withdrawn. But the stark consistency of MSE's poor results with different testing services is something I can't look past.

I'm no expert, but I have a lot of respect for Ashraf, and MSE did poorly on his free AV test.
http://dottech.org/14151/windows-be...als-vs-avira-vs-avast-vs-avg/#comment-1024878

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I use Private Firewall (still) on my semi-retired XP system, and am very pleased with it's performance.:)
Oops,:oops: I hadn't realize I was veering off topic. MSE isn't even an option on the old XP,:rolleyes:
but for Windows 7 & 8/8.1, it continues to represent effective layers that buffer and burn up most, if not all, meteorites that have entered my Windows' ionosphere.:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.