Microsoft Security Essentials is a useless AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
All AV's are over-rated, none will protect reckless users. But still it is good to use a real-time AV along with common sense when downloading files or browsing the web and use UAC to its full potential (never approve anything unless you know for sure it's safe).

Thanks. :D

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
All AV's are out-rated, none will protect reckless users. But still it is good to use a real-time AV along with common sense when downloading files or browsing the web and use UAC to its full potential (never approve anything unless you know for sure it's safe).

Thanks. :D
not all AV's are out-rated there some av out there that can protect reckless users

Reactions: nissimezra

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
not all AV's are out-rated there some av out there that can protect reckless users
which one?
jumping-17.gif

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Thank you (very much), nissimezra.:):) Your word's a lot more enjoyable than a UAC alert, & with meaningful stories. You carry forward Mr. Brink's teachings very well too!;):D
I don't personally know him but been following him for 5 years, one of the best out there.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/233243-default-file-type-associations-restore.html
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html

and for UAC lovers
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...istrator.html?filter[2]=Security System Tools

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
I like shadow defender more then this & it's not a AV.Even it won't guarantee 100% bullet proof security to reckless users coz unknown stealth rookit/trojan can bypass it.
ive test it with 300 malwares each test 50 files, the OS is still clean.
anything can be bypassed, but so far it did the job and its free
its good for old pc's with xp always clean after reboot

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
ive test it with 300 malwares each test 50 files, the OS is still clean.
anything can be bypassed, but so far it did the job
I watched shadow defender/ deep freeze/toolwiz timefreeze revies/test already in yt too. But reckless user will download & click on anything since they will think that there PC is sandbox & it's supa dupa full proof. If they mistakenly download & run a unknown stealth malware which is bundled in any download file from torrent/unknown source, then it will run on PC & will be bypass the virtualization even AV can't detect it since it's newly & unknown stealth malware.Security holes always present in any Snadbox program since it's not 100% bullet proof. Also sometimes Sandbox PC annoy like when u need to update AV/programs or u changes some configuration in softwares like photoshop/ movie editing like softwares. here is a link of - http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=87966#87966

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
MSE is useless?? nah...I simply disagree with that ;)
MSE is a good Av, yes it's detection is poor among the others, but keep in mind..MSE is one of the lowest false positive AV out there, according to my experience MSE never gave me any false positive result like the other AV does.

"Essential" which means it's really protect the essential thing on your windows, so if a user use it for dodging/catching PUP/PUM/Ad-ware you would likely to be disappointed, but when MSE is used for "protecting your essential OS" then yes it's does the job very well done.
Also...I heard MSE only catch "Live Malware" not some kind of small/potential annoying software, to be honest I don't really understand what is "Live Malware" means..but I guess what "live malware" means is some kind of very dangerous malware that can seriously damage your OS/computer.

So for anyone that want an AV that can give user various result or detecting many things, it's obvious MSE isn't a good choice, but for anyone that don't really understand about computer, or for anyone that want keep things simple,free and protecting the "essential", then MSE is a good choice :)

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
I watched shadow defender/ deep freeze/toolwiz timefreeze revies/test already in yt too. But reckless user will download & click on anything since they will think that there PC is sandbox & it's supa dupa full proof. If they mistakenly download & run a unknown stealth malware which is bundled in any download file from torrent/unknown source, then it will run on PC & will be bypass the virtualization even AV can't detect it since it's newly & unknown stealth malware.Security holes always present in any Snadbox program since it's not 100% bullet proof. Also sometimes Sandbox PC annoy like when u need to update AV/programs or u changes some configuration in softwares like photoshop/ movie editing like softwares. here is a link of - http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=87966#87966
well as i said anything can be bypassed, so far this program is just great, as long as you dont have other partition. it's not really sandbox its more like an image that restored on reboot in simple way

thx

Edward ST

Level 3
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
One thing I like about Windows 7's Microsoft Security Essentials is that it can scan files & downloads on demand by simply right clicking on the item. Either our Windows 8.1 with Windows Defender doesn't do this:( or maybe I just don't know how.:confused: A little help, please?;):p

Each antivirus is able to scan files & downloads on demand. This is a common antivirus option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.