Microsoft Security Essentials is a useless AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Yes I have heard of it before, it can bypass any (software level) security products even HIPS and virtulation but UAC can block it at the OS level. This is its homepage- http://rdgsoft.net/tejon.html

It requires to "Run as Admin" in order to bypass software security products, this is a good example why UAC is so important.
Even though it claims to bypass UAC on Vista, I seriously doubt it can unless the user allows it to run. The only report of UAC getting bypass was on a Beta version of Vista which was fixed on the final release and then was also enhanced by service packs.

However it is very rare that malware writers would use these methods unless targeting a large business, military or government agency.
Malware that affects home users usually don't try to bypass security products, they work on the user's own ignorance to be successful.
Of coarse zero-day malware is usually not detected by signature-based AV's but other detection features can still stop some of it.

Enjoy!! :D

Yes, I have that link to the homepage as well, but now Bitdefender Trafficklight stops me from opening it.
Scary software anyway, hope someone that have experienced it would chip in here.
Always good with new knowledge. :D

Have a good one!

/W

Jcwisgod

Level 2
Verified
Dec 4, 2013
Any Anti-Virus is better than no Anti-Virus, only real time protection I'm using at the moment is Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Pro, and I haven't had an single infection yet that I know of

Infrared

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Feb 15, 2014
Honestly i have not seen one AV detect everything if anyone knows one that can send me a link to it ;) other then that you can try free AV's like Avast, Avg, Avira, Comodo, 360 security if you were to ask but you just gave me 5 which one do you think i would say Comodo, It has many ways to detect something and has a good firewall so give a few a try and decide which one fits you best :)

acme

Level 1
Apr 29, 2012
My sons pc crashed he instals games visits dubious sites etc, I did safemode system restore .He had MSE with real time protection.Ran MSE scan - showed clean . Ran HitMan scan detected 69 infections including a few trojans , ran Mbam showed similar 65 infections & "security hijacks" and removed them . Ran Kaspersky TDSS killer detected rootkit ! ("medium risk" )& removed it .A few different scanners used with clean results.
Finally used Dr Web Cure-it in EPM mode and fakeav detected plus host item cured & deleted.
Rebooted & Hitman & Mbam rescanned clean. Ditched MSE & installed Avast ,boot sector scan found pup . MSE appears not just basic its dangerously useless . thanks

Just add Malwarebytes Pro real-time and it will flag any bad sites, Trojans, malware...etc. Have it scheduled to run each day and it will help out...

:)

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
Just add Malwarebytes Pro real-time and it will flag any bad sites, Trojans, malware...etc. Have it scheduled to run each day and it will help out...
Promise me don't tell anybody nor MS..MSE have no action on web doesn't have RTP. same here I'm using MBAM
latest version 2.0.2.1012 free, becoze i don't have any pro key..with RTP its block any website that have malware.
MT not blocked by mbam.

D

Deleted member 178

It is amazing how people dont understand at all how a product works...then tell some clueless statements.

My computer teacher used to say to my classmates:

"If idiots were able to pilot , you will be squad leader"

I

illumination

It is amazing how people dont understand at all how a product works...then tell some clueless statements.

My computer teacher used to say to my classmates:

"If idiots were able to pilot , you will be squad leader"

Your kinda getting straight to the point now days huh ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
in fact MSE just additon virus guard, we sure because comes from the OS maker
for the performance lower that's it:)

no problem on forums discussion i don't mind whatever you say:)

Consumer security software providers
Windows 7

Last edited by a moderator:

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
@acme
Dear Acme,
Kindly could you tell us what virus guards are Installed on your PC (how many Virus guards) guard your PC
include third party FireWall, and on what windows you are on..eg windows 7, 8, 8.x
personally i'm curious..Thanks.

broughie

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
Many thanks for all your input, in common with 70+% pc users that I know of ,who are of course not malware savvy, son wants and enjoys computer for playing internet games , music downloads and sports streaming etc etc. As per suggestions I have installed Avast, MBam Pro ,Adblock, WebRep etc & got him using Sandboxie for web stuff and nowadays virtually no problems.
I still wouldnt recommend MSE to any friend or family, but unfortunately it comes preinstalled on vast majority of resale, reconditioned and new pc,s and leads average joes to believe it gives them protection . MSE always finishes bottom of independent expert reviews and AV tests and Microsoft itself have conceded its only "basic" and issued recommendation for people to use alternative Av's . Enough said. thanks

Reactions: JakeXPMan
I

illumination

Many thanks for all your input, in common with 70+% pc users that I know of ,who are of course not malware savvy, son wants and enjoys computer for playing internet games , music downloads and sports streaming etc etc. As per suggestions I have installed Avast, MBam Pro ,Adblock, WebRep etc & got him using Sandboxie for web stuff and nowadays virtually no problems.
I still wouldnt recommend MSE to any friend or family, but unfortunately it comes preinstalled on vast majority of resale, reconditioned and new pc,s and leads average joes to believe it gives them protection . MSE always finishes bottom of independent expert reviews and AV tests and Microsoft itself have conceded its only "basic" and issued recommendation for people to use alternative Av's . Enough said. thanks

You are going to find, no matter what you put on that system, if your son allows things onto it, via games ect, nothing is going to protect the system. You could have the strongest suite on the market on there and if he clicks and tells the security its ok, i want this download, it will make a rule and allow it. That is why you see the mixed opinions through this thread, as it ultimately is up to the user's choices, on whether or not a security of any kind will be effective or not.

In this case, i would personally recommend you to make complete external back ups of the system and important files, this will be your failsafe,when everything else fails because of poor choices, this will provide you a safety net.

acme

Level 1
Apr 29, 2012
@acme
Dear Acme,
Kindly could you tell us what virus guards are Installed on your PC (how many Virus guards) guard your PC
include third party FireWall, and on what windows you are on..eg windows 7, 8, 8.x
personally i'm curious..Thanks.

I have Win 7 with Win7 firewall with TinyWall and using Emsisoft anti-maleware Pro and MalwareBytes Pro, MSE, Internet Explorer 11, that's it.
I use MSE since it's much more stable than other 'TOP' rated anti-virus's and it's integrated with Win 7 firewall and Explorer 11. I tried Norton, Avast, Avira, AVG, Comodo..etc . MSE isn't that bad, it does keep the 'Bad stuff' away. Plus, you DON'T need a different firewall !
Quiet and simple and it works :)

;)

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I have Win 7 with Win7 firewall with TinyWall and using Emsisoft anti-maleware Pro and MalwareBytes Pro, MSE, Internet Explorer 11, that's it.
I use MSE since it's much more stable than other 'TOP' rated anti-virus's and it's integrated with Win 7 firewall and Explorer 11. I tried Norton, Avast, Avira, AVG, Comodo..etc . MSE isn't that bad, it does keep the 'Bad stuff' away. Plus, you DON'T need a different firewall !

;)

MSE doesn't work... It can barely detect threats..

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
;)
you just keep updated..thanks for replies

trainbus120

Level 10
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
I feel MSE is too basic to handle the online mess of today. With the ever increasing threat, it does not have the capability to protect you as it lacks some basic components of a basic AV for today's times.

acme

Level 1
Apr 29, 2012
MSE doesn't work... It can barely detect threats..

It must work since we went on the 'R' and 'XXX' rated sites and MSE blocked and quarantined the bad stuff (malware, Trojans, viruses) . Also Emsisoft and MalwareByte picked up some. I went on some risky sites just using MSE with no help from Emsisoft and MalwareBytes and MSE still found the malware culprits. I do manual updates once in the morning and once at night. MSE does one a day updates automatically , so just keep it updated before you open the Internet...Doesn't take but 2 - 3 minutes to update.
I tried other software and they found some and some didn't find some viruses, but MSE shows very little or no false positives which makes MSE look like it's not doing a good job. If a top antivirus shows it found 15 viruses but they were really 14 false positives, then people will say,"..WOW, this software is great..". Believe me Norton and Avast let a virus in my computer one time and that's when I traded up to the "lowly" MSE.

;)

Last edited:

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
It must work since we went on the 'R' and 'XXX' rated sites and MSE blocked and quarantined the bad stuff (malware, Trojans, viruses) . Also Emsisoft and MalwareByte picked up some. I went on some risky sites just using MSE with no help from Emsisoft and MalwareBytes and MSE still found the malware culprits. I do manual updates once in the morning and once at night. MSE does one a day updates automatically , so just keep it updated before you open the Internet...Doesn't take but 2 - 3 minutes to update.
I tried other software and they found some and some didn't find some viruses, but MSE shows very little or no false positives which makes MSE look like it's not doing a good job. If a top antivirus shows it found 15 viruses but they were really 14 false positives, then people will say,"..WOW, this software is great..". Believe me Norton and Avast let a virus in my computer one time and that's when I traded up to the "lowly" MSE.

;)

MSE is only good if you know how to stay safe online (Not download dodgy stuff, ect)

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
When I ran MSE, till last year, I got infections. I haven't been getting infections since then with avast!, Webroot, Advanced System Care Ultimate, and Roboscan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.