Microsoft Security Essentials

How would you rate Microsoft Security Essentials 2?

• 5 Stars (Excellent)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • 4 Stars (Very good)

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • 3 Stars (Good)

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • 2 Stars (Fair)

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • 1 Star (Poor)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have never tried this product.

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Thread author
Dec 30, 2011
Nothing More To Say Just Be Secured While Using Internet And Unknown Flash Drives. Download Only Those Things That You Feel That Are Usable And Virus Free , Please Never Use Torrent , Warez etc . These Are The Most Common Way Of Getting Your PC Infected. Let Your PC Live Its Life .

Justin

Thread author
Dec 30, 2011
win7holic said:
Failed On Rootkit ..? not all AVs can detect and block it well.

MSE didn't even detect the easiest rootkit that avast , avira , comodo , norton detects

I review products very deeply

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
The detection may lack a bit, but it is THE best av to give those who simply don't care.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
I see the 10 user limit for businesses as a good thing. Most AV's you don't get any.

Also I think Web protection is a pointless addition because I.E 9 has protection built in and its pointless anyway.

Another point, everyone knows MSE updates are painfully slow. They are not fast by any stretch of the imagination.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
MetalShaun said:
I see the 10 user limit for businesses as a good thing. Most AV's you don't get any.

Also I think Web protection is a pointless addition because I.E 9 has protection built in and its pointless anyway.
+1
Exactly what I was thinking, but IF you use IE9.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
I agree with you to a certain extent that IE9 provides decent web protection, however from a less knowledgeable users position where they've spent years blindly ignoring IE's warning and just clicking allow, it can prove to be not so effective in protecting them. If they see an alert coming from their Anti-virus software, they may take more notice and proceed with caution. So I don't think web protection is pointless in an AV.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Thanks for the review.
"Business users are limited to a 10 PC installation maximum." This could actually be a "pro" since many free antivirus products are for "use at home" only. The program is also extremely simple to use. As you pointed out, this simplicity comes at a cost: it lacks advanced functionality like a behavior blocker. But I am sure there are some users that want just an antivirus and hopefully they image their HDD regularly. RAM usage is quite high, this doesn't slow down the performance on a PC with sufficient RAM but it could have a serious impact on an older machine. For what its worth, according to AV-TEST.org Report – Sep-Oct/2011, protection is 3.0 (lower than other free alternatives, Panda Free and AVG Free scored 5.0 and avast! Free scored 4.0). Surprisingly it does quite well in repair: 5.0, better than the above mentioned alternatives (a possible explanation could be that the repair test has fewer samples). According to AV-Comparative tests (on-demand August 2011) it scores Advanced (same as AVG free but lower than avast! Free, Panda Free and Avira Free that all scored Advanced+).

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nice review. MSE is good for a free AV. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have any web filter, hope that they add that feature sometime.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
McLovin said:
Nice review. MSE is good for a free AV. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have any web filter, hope that they add that feature sometime.

If you want to use a Web filter, you can install Panda URL filter. Install it, afterward uninstall the toolbar and you ll have what you want. I used it for a month, it did not cause any slow downs.
http://free.pandasecurity.com/

Bo

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well if you are pertaining to the current MSE then the removal process may take a bit time unlike the beta it does have faster removal processes.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
muhammadariif said:
Better using CIS than this :)

This is a great option if you just want to install an AV and forget about it. Comodo is for advanced users. So for basic users I think it's better to get something that you can just install and forget.

muhammadariif

Aug 3, 2011
McLovin said:
muhammadariif said:

This is a great option if you just want to install an AV and forget about it. Comodo is for advanced users. So for basic users I think it's better to get something that you can just install and forget.
Yup, must combine this with anti-malware, to get strength protection :idea:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
muhammadariif said:

I totally disagree. CIS is not the type of software you Install and Forget, just like McLovin said.

MSE you can install and you won't get any Firewall, HIPS or Sandbox notifications.

IMO, a better option than Comodo would be Avast or Norton.

muhammadariif

Aug 3, 2011
Earth said:
muhammadariif said:

I totally disagree. CIS is not the type of software you Install and Forget, just like McLovin said.

MSE you can install and you won't get any Firewall, HIPS or Sandbox notifications.

IMO, a better option than Comodo would be Avast or Norton.
Im not talking about the setting or configuration, i just say, if you want better protection just go with CIS than MSE :rolleyes:

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
muhammadariif said:
Im not talking about the setting or configuration, i just say, if you want better protection just go with CIS than MSE :rolleyes:

Better protection is dependent on who is using CIS. We've been through this many times, put CIS infront of a novice user and expect problems. MSE makes things simple and straightfroward.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
muhammadariif said:

I beg to differ.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
Tom172 said:
muhammadariif said:

Better protection is dependent on who is using CIS. We've been through this many times, put CIS infront of a novice user and expect problems. MSE makes things simple and straightfroward.

I thought it would be causing more hassle than good to install CIS on my brothers computer. But I thought I would give it a go after having to clean his computer several times. And to my surprise he has had no problems and no infections in months. I know this is just anecdotal and I am not saying CIS is anywhere near to being as simple to use as MSE. But I think CIS is easier to use then most people here give it credit for.

Cheers
Shaun

D

Deleted member 178

You want a real efficient install & forget AV, use Panda Cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.