Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
microsoft-starts-the-most-aggressive-windows-10-upgrade-campaign-499757-2.jpg

Windows 10 is offered as a free upgrade to users of Windows 7 and 8.1 and to make sure that everyone is aware of that, Microsoft is making a big change in the way the new software is shipped to these systems.

Starting today, Windows 10 is pushed as a recommended download in Windows Update, so it is enabled by default to download all necessary files.

A Microsoft spokesperson told us that this new change is supposed to make the upgrade experience easier for those who are eligible for the free Windows 10 offer.

“As we shared in late October on the Windows Blog, we are committed to making it easy for our Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers to upgrade to Windows 10. We updated the upgrade experience today to help our customers, who previously reserved their upgrade, schedule a time for their upgrade to take place,” he said in a mailed statement.

You’ll still be prompted to install
Even though Windows 10 will be automatically downloaded, Microsoft guarantees that you’ll still be prompted to start the install, so there’s no way you could end up with the new OS on your computer without specifically choosing so.

Read more: Microsoft Starts the Most Aggressive Windows 10 Upgrade Campaign

C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

Microsoft can smell the cash once more , this free update destroys peoples freedom of choice and their privacy because most people are not even slightly aware of the spying that is going on in win 10 left alone how to disable it all. Free always comes at a price at m$ once more , what a vulgar display!

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
"As long as they don't threaten me at gunpoint to install it, I am content."

I think I sense an underlying Stockholm syndrome strategy here...

Microsoft will go all the way "forcing" users to accept to install Windows 10 (abruptly ending support for previous Windows versions, rendering them "vulnerable", etc) but they will not make it automatically install.

Instead, they use all these subliminal messages to imply that if a user does not upgrade, he/she is in "trouble".

So, in the end, Microsoft expects the more stubborn users to accept the upgrade out of guilt for not doing so earlier

I believe Microsoft were aggressive on this " upgrade to Windows 10" movement since the very beginning...

L

LabZero

Microsoft can smell the cash once more , this free update destroys peoples freedom of choice and their privacy because most people are not even slightly aware of the spying that is going on in win 10 left alone how to disable it all. Free always comes at a price at m$ once more , what a vulgar display!
Well, the privacy policy speech is relative because we well know that even Windows 7/8.1 suffer now of the same problems with telemetry updates and more...

IMO is the concept of freedom that must be respected.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Well, the policy speech is relative because we well know that even Windows 7/8.1 suffer now of the same problems with telemetry updates and more...

IMO is the concept of freedom that must be respected.
Indeed and with every update on Win 10 ,they keep changing the telemetry service name!!:rolleyes:
A very sneeky practice on the part of Micro$oft!!:mad:
For example,and this is just one:
Microsoft renames Diagnostic Tracking Service to Connected User Experiences and Telemetry - gHacks Tech News

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
I don't mind the GWX notification popping out once a while, as I would upgrade sometime in the future just not now, MS can advertise all they want, but they need to sort out certain things in their latest OS than just forcing it down our throats.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.