New Update Microsoft Windows 11 Moment 3 update is now available for download

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
OK, I have read the Winaero article above and since I run the Windows 11 Insiders beta,). Edit: I am mistaken, the ability to add seconds to the clock is indeed there under Taskbar behaviors--thanks again, Gandalf_The_Grey.

I found out yet another "drawback" to not having Edge browser installed and that's that you can't bring up the desktop widgets. You need the WebView2 Runtime in Edge.

Ouch, that hurt my feelings! 😭 But I ain't reinstalling Edge on here--it's kind of a trip "discovering" what-all other features in Windows are held for ransom unless and until you install Edge. So far, MSN News and Weather apps were affected also and I deleted them.

Last edited:

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
If you read for example the article linked below it will show you the new features and where to enable or disable them (if possible):
Thanks @Gandalf. It looks like this will be like it was when MS added the chat gpt the updates to Edge not long ago. I had to go in and turn off all of those newfangled functions too. The solution to the problem with Edge is simply not to use Edge. I was not using it to begin with anyway, but these new updates and the new Chat Copilot in the actual Windows OS are things I do not need and do not want. It is going to be very important to me to be able to turn off the unwanted useless stuff.

Thanks.

C.H.

Last edited:

gonza

Level 2
Sep 10, 2019

ISOLATION OF WIN32 APPS​

Windows 11 will now be able to run desktop Win32 applications in a sandbox to prevent unwanted or unauthorized programs from accessing critical Windows components. The feature will significantly increase the security of the operating system. It is important to note that this is a preliminary version of the sandbox, which means that in some cases it may not work correctly.

This is a nice new feature!

NormanF

Level 7
Verified
Jan 11, 2018

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft has also announced that Windows 11 22H2 is now ready for broader deployment, stating that the operating system is now "broadly available to all users with eligible devices who check for updates". Of course, to get it a device has to meet the system requirements of Windows 11 22H2. Microsoft has, in the past, erroneously pushed out Windows 11 on unsupported PCs, though later, it fixed it.

On the Windows health dashboard website, the company has updated the status for Windows 11 22H2. Microsoft explains:
Windows 11, version 22H2 is broadly available to all users with eligible devices who check for updates. Microsoft is delivering continuous innovation to Windows 11 more frequently. If you’re using Home or Pro consumer devices or non-managed business devices running Windows 11, version 22H2, you can get some of these newest experiences as soon as they’re ready for your device. To do so, open Settings > Windows Update. Select Get the latest updates as soon as they are available, and set the toggle to On. Note that the toggle won't be enabled for managed devices. These are managed by Windows Update for Business or Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).

NormanF

Level 7
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
With 22H2, you needed a workaround to install the iso. on an unsupported PC. I've never had an issue with a cumulative update through Windows Update.

Reactions: plat
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

OK, I have read the Winaero article above and since I run the Windows 11 Insiders beta,). Edit: I am mistaken, the ability to add seconds to the clock is indeed there under Taskbar behaviors--thanks again, Gandalf_The_Grey.

I found out yet another "drawback" to not having Edge browser installed and that's that you can't bring up the desktop widgets. You need the WebView2 Runtime in Edge.

Ouch, that hurt my feelings! 😭 But I ain't reinstalling Edge on here--it's kind of a trip "discovering" what-all other features in Windows are held for ransom unless and until you install Edge. So far, MSN News and Weather apps were affected also and I deleted them.
Egde has some (quite a lot) settings to make it less annoying. Edge also has a flag (#edge-show-feature-recommendations) to make it less chatty. I prefer Edge over any other browser because it starts earlier (Microsoft cheats with preloading which really makes a difference on older hardware) and the security features are much better than Chrome (setting sandboxes enabled with Chrome policies only works for audio or network, not for the renderer). It is worth investing an hour and disabling all features, not core browser functionality.

Also there seems to be some intelligence in the telemetry. When I posted what I had disabled for Edge @oldschool still got (update and feature) notifications which I for 100% certain did not get. I noticed the same behavior with Avast Free, when you keep explicitly pressing "no thanks - got it - ignore" Avast free also silences (in stead of deleting or clicking away a notification),

@Gandalf_The_Grey thanks for posting. I enabled seconds and disabled the new snipping tool. Also took some time to weed out Windows11 features I think my wife don't use on her laptop. I already had a lot of Windows apps de-installed (forgot the name of the two programs posted in a thread at MT). It is hard to say whether I think Windows11 becomes snappier or because her Ryzen 4500U laptop is twice as fast as my old Intel I7 (according to CPU benchmark) and I am not using her laptop a lot (wife's still sleeping/recovering from last night out :) )

Last edited by a moderator:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft quietly released a Configuration update for Windows 11 version 22H2 last week as it delivered the latest Moment 3 feature update. This configuration update is a part of Microsoft's Continuous Innovation and is released via the Controlled Feature Rollout (CFR) approach. The update brings the latest feature sooner to Windows 11 22H2 users.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft quietly updated Windows 11 supported CPU list with many new Intel, AMD processors
Microsoft released its Moment 3 feature update for Windows 11 version 22H2 towards the end of May under KB5026446 (Build 22621.1778). The company stated that users with eligible systems can update to Moment 3. Following the announcement, Microsoft quietly updated its list of supported processors from Intel, AMD, and Qualcomm. The tech giant last updated the list of supported CPUs back in October of last year when it rolled out the 22H2 feature update.

There are separate lists for both Windows 11 21H2 and 22H2 even though the system requirements of Windows 11 haven't changed (much) since the original 21H2 announcement. So if anyone hopes that their currently unsupported hardware could suddenly appear on the supported list, that is simply not going to happen. (In related news, Linux users running older 1st Gen Ryzen CPUs can expect support and even performance boosts soon.)

Regardless though, people have been running unsupported systems on Windows 11 22H2 as well, just like they were doing with the 21H2 version. Some users were even so impressed by their old hardware that they even exclaim it "runs like magic".

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017

Analysis: It’s optional for an important reason​

Why shouldn’t you download KB5027303? Well, it might have all those juicy Moment 3 features you’ve been hungering for – and there are some nifty bits of functionality added, as we’ve covered previously – but it is still a preview update. That’s why it’s optional, because this is the last stage of testing for the package. And as it’s effectively beta software – albeit in its final incarnation, so likely pretty stable – you still have a higher chance of encountering bugs than with the full release version.

This is why it’s generally better to wait for that full release version, which in the case of Moment 3, will pitch up next month (it should arrive on July 11, as part of Microsoft’s monthly cumulative update for Windows 11). At that point, of course, you’ll have no choice but to take Moment 3 onboard your Windows 11 installation (beyond the ability to delay it for a short time, if you choose – as with any cumulative update in Windows 11 Home).

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft is targeting July 11, 2023 as the official release date for the third Moments update for Windows 11. Most Windows users may want to skip the installation of the preview update, as it should be considered a beta release.

As far as new features are concerned, there are plenty small changes and additions to Windows 11. You can check out my full overview here, but here is a short list for those in a hurry:
  • Live Captions expands to more languages.
  • Voice access commands for English dialects.
  • VPN status icon.
  • Option to add seconds to the taskbar clock.
  • Option to copy 2FA codes directly.
  • New one-key shortcuts in File Explorer.
  • Multi-kiosk mode.
  • Create live kernel memory dump in Task Manager.
  • New touch keyboard control options.
  • Support for Content Adaptive Brightness Control.
  • New USB4 hubs and devices page in Settings.
  • New Presence Sensing privacy settings.
  • Improved Settings search performance.
  • Print-key opens the Snipping Tool now.
  • Show 20 most recent tabs when using Alt-Tab.
  • Suggestions and search improvements for Simplified Chinese.
  • OneDrive information in accounts.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.