Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Suggestions:
  • Set UAC to Always Notify
  • Switch Firewall App Blocker to Windows Firewall Control
  • Add HTTPS Everywhere to your browser(s)
  • Consider using a password manager to generate and store unique passwords for all of your accounts
You may also want to take a gander at this: ESET Internet Security 10 : Recommended settings

Thanks for sharing, Mike. :)

- UAC is not necessary since i use VoodooShield which i consider more strong and secure.
- FAB is lighter and does not slow down windows start up time (in my case)
- I never store passwords on my PC (i even uncheck browser setting to remember passwords etc...). I save all passwords in an external harddrive instead, since are not so many.

As for Eset settings i will definitely take a look, however i know this product well.

Thank you again for your suggestions...
All the best!!!

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Your configuration is defenitely solid.
To be honest my UAC is disabled right now too, because of the effectiveness of Voodoshield. So no reasons to complain :)
Consider making the switch to Windows 10, it is not that monster.

Reactions: MikeV and Rengar

Nuno

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2016
Hey there!
Nice config, thanks for sharing :)

By the way, what do you think of Glary Utilities? I had a very bad idea of that software, looked like the general scareware registry optimizer, pc problem fixer and pc booster. It was also being bundled with several other software as a "free offer".
And it nagged you all the time to buy the pro version to fix everything, which also had "Free 24*7 Technical Support" ("24/7 technical support" makes it immediately sound like scareware in my mind)
I don't know how it is now, just curious if they changed anything in the software offer.

Reactions: MikeV and Rengar
D

Deleted member 178

- UAC is not necessary since i use VoodooShield which i consider more strong and secure.
Totally wrong, those two are different mechanism , VS doesn't replace UAC , it just reduces the vector attacks that may trigger UAC.
1- UAC is an privileges elevation blocker.
2- VS is an anti-exe.

VS would be the security guard of a company, UAC will be the employee in charge of the elevator leading to the offices. if a spy manage to enter the building bypassing the security guard, the employee may stop it , if the spy planned to go to the CEO office.

Reactions: MikeV
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.