Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Kaspersky Internet Security
Firewall security
About custom security
Disabled components: Software Updater, Anti-Banner, Anti-Spam, Application Manager, Private Browsing, Webcam Protection, Safe Money
Disabled option: Trust digitally signed applications
Disabled option: Inject script into web traffic
Periodic malware scanners
HitmanPro • Avira PC Cleaner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox with uBlock Origin
Maintenance tools
SUMo • CCleaner • ShutUp10
File and Photo backup
On 2 external disks.
System recovery
Macrium Reflect
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Working from home
    • Requesting and accepting remote access
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 • Intel Core i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz • Intel UHD Graphics 630 • DDR4 32 GB • 2x 500 GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Notable changes
• 3.10.2020 - added ESET Online Scanner to list of on-demand scanners.
• 9.10.2020 - removed Privacy Badger.
• 16.10.2020 - removed HP Support Assistant
• 22.10.2020 - replaced Kaspersky Internet Security with Eset Internet Security
• 24.10.2020 - replaced Eset Internet Security with Kaspersky Internet Security and removed Eset Online Scanner
16.12.2020 - reconfigure Kaspersky Internet Security
• 8.11.2020 - replaced Kaspersky Internet Security with Emsisoft Anti-Malware
• 11.11.2020 - replaced Emsisoft Anti-Malware with Kaspersky Internet Security
• 4.12.2020 - added HitmanPro to list of on demand scanners and described RTP configuration modifications

Minimalist

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
Which version of KIS -> 2020 OR 2021?

In Photos and Files Backup, You may use also some cloud service.

Thanks for sharing :)
I use KIS 2021 with patch B, waiting to receive C.

So far I didn't feel a need for cloud backup. This data is daily synchronized between internal HDDs, and once a week I copy it to external HDDs.
I might consider buying some cloud storage for just-in-case situation.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Last edited:

Minimalist

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
Thank you for your suggestions.

For now I prefer to install OS and application updates manually and create system image before doing it. If it will give me inconvenience I will set it up to update automatically.

I have checked the link you posted and as I can see there are ways to circumvent Privacy Badger's protections. So I guess it's not bullet proof. I will monitor how much additional protection it provides (next to uBlock Origin) and remove it if it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avira PC Cleaner is no longer listed on Avira's main website as a standalone tool. As far as I know, it was discontinued and integrated into their main security software.

According to Softpedia's page for Avira PC Cleaner the application was last updated in 2019. Does this product still receive regular definition updates for the latest threats? How often do you use it?

Archive: Avira reveals stand-alone Avira PC Cleaner in 2013.

I recommend ESET Online Scanner as a companion periodic scanner. Despite the name, it can be installed to the AppData folder and be used regularly. ESET provides free scanning and removal against malware, viruses and optionally PUA. It does require an active Internet connection to download definitions, per use. After it's first use, it can be scheduled to scan, but not required.

Minimalist

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
Yes I know that Avira's PC Cleaner tool is not accessible from their webpage but for now program still receives definition updates. I use it once a week to scan my system. When they stop providing updates, I will surely stop using it.
I've used ESET Online scanner in past and I like this last version. I don't like how it's filling error event log with errors 1060 and 7000 ( a long known "problem") but I like it otherwise. I will probably add it to my setup - if not before then when Avira PC Cleaner bites the dust.

Thank you for your reply.

Minimalist

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
I went back from EIS to KIS. Test went fine except that WMI scanning problem which is not fixed yet.
I also removed Eset Online Scanner. I don't like errors being logged while using it. Also I think that using EEK and APC next to KIS is more than enough. I might consider adding Malwarebytes as 3rd on demand scanner.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I replaced Kaspersky Internet Security with Emsisoft Anti-Malware and set Windows Updates to automatic.
Why? I like Emsisoft for their great support, ransomware decrypters and focus on privacy, but I believe Kaspersky protects your system better and with less user interaction required.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.