Gnosis

Might add HitMan Pro. Sandboxie Free too. Sandboxie would be a great complement to Avast Free. What firewall do you use? Here are some good ones: Comodo Firewall, Private Firewall, and Online Armor Firewall. All are free and you may want to turn off HIPS in Online Armor.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 37
Verified
Trusted
Boring stuff, pretty much. :p
I think I liked your 'Boring stuff' config!:) Firefox has not worked as smoothly on my own 8.1, & I'm wondering if I should join you with Nightly..:cool: Each firewall mentioned was on a list of possibilities for my XP system. I wanted Online Armor, yet chose "Private Firewall"free. I do feel the Firewall with UAC built into your Windows 8.1 already manages the system quite well,:rolleyes: although I agree with Gnosis, & swear by Sandboxie! http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie It won't let anything onto your system, & isolates all unwanted flotsam & jetsam before it can reach your hard drive like aluminum foil in a pan. When it's time to end your session all is deleted along with the contents of the Sandbox.o_O You'll see.;) HitMan Pro literally revived my old XP computer, & extracted :eek:items I'd thought I'd swept long ago, but with your 8.1 you've no need to worry ..unless you'd like to trade down for my XP, j/k!:p Free may not always equal Great, but when speaking of HitMan Pro & Sandboxie it just might!:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnosis

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff member
Avast,Windows Firewall & smartscreen is a good combo.I agrre with the addition of SBIE & Hitman Pro.

Thanks for sharing your config:)

Gnosis

As you say, the implementation of Avast, Win Firewall and Smartscreen is a good quasi suite. I would not push Sandboxie so hard if not for those nasty Cryptolocker variants out there. Prevention is bliss, especially with regards to Cryptolocker.