minime's config

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Might add HitMan Pro. Sandboxie Free too. Sandboxie would be a great complement to Avast Free. What firewall do you use? Here are some good ones: Comodo Firewall, Private Firewall, and Online Armor Firewall. All are free and you may want to turn off HIPS in Online Armor.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Boring stuff, pretty much. :p
I think I liked your 'Boring stuff' config!:) Firefox has not worked as smoothly on my own 8.1, & I'm wondering if I should join you with Nightly..:cool: Each firewall mentioned was on a list of possibilities for my XP system. I wanted Online Armor, yet chose "Private Firewall"free. I do feel the Firewall with UAC built into your Windows 8.1 already manages the system quite well,:rolleyes: although I agree with Gnosis, & swear by Sandboxie! http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie It won't let anything onto your system, & isolates all unwanted flotsam & jetsam before it can reach your hard drive like aluminum foil in a pan. When it's time to end your session all is deleted along with the contents of the Sandbox.o_O You'll see.;) HitMan Pro literally revived my old XP computer, & extracted :eek:items I'd thought I'd swept long ago, but with your 8.1 you've no need to worry ..unless you'd like to trade down for my XP, j/k!:p Free may not always equal Great, but when speaking of HitMan Pro & Sandboxie it just might!:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnosis

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Avast,Windows Firewall & smartscreen is a good combo.I agrre with the addition of SBIE & Hitman Pro.

Thanks for sharing your config:)

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
As you say, the implementation of Avast, Win Firewall and Smartscreen is a good quasi suite. I would not push Sandboxie so hard if not for those nasty Cryptolocker variants out there. Prevention is bliss, especially with regards to Cryptolocker.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.