Status
Not open for further replies.

Momus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
Dear all,

I have been reading through this forum since the last couple of weeks and just signed as a new user. With regards to malware and security threads I feel insecure and I would honestly appreciate your opinion about the setup of my PC! Sorry for my English as I'm no native speaker but I will try my very best! Many thanks in advance for your answers.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would consider a system image backup solution such as Macrium reflect or AOMEI Backupper which both offer good free editions.
Consider backing up important data to an external drive also.
Real time protection is different from on demand scanners therefore I would consider adding an on demand scanner(s).
Please edit your original config with any changes you have made.
Secure Windows 10 config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Welcome to the forums! Thanks for sharing your configuration with us. My recommendations would be:

• Turn UAC to maximum
  • Add VoodooShield on automatic mode to pair it up with your actual AV (Emsisoft)
  • Add uBlock Origin and Disconnect as extensions to your browsers. Think about NoScript.
  • Consider a backup solution aforementioned

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I'd suggest adding Zemana antimalware, Hitman Pro or Winja as on demand scanners.
Add ublock origin or Adguard as ad blocker. If you don't like blocking ads, then set them to only block trackers and malware domains.
Thanks for sharing!

Momus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
I would consider a system image backup solution such as Macrium reflect or AOMEI Backupper which both offer good free editions.
Consider backing up important data to an external drive also.
Real time protection is different from on demand scanners therefore I would consider adding an on demand scanner(s).
Please edit your original config with any changes you have made.
Secure Windows 10 config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)
Thank you very much for taking the time and giving advice. Indeed, I have a usb drive connected for backup procedures and will have a look for an image backup software you mentioned. I will add another on demand scanner over the weekend.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Thank you very much for taking the time and giving advice. Indeed, I have a usb drive connected for backup procedures and will have a look for an image backup software you mentioned. I will add another on demand scanner over the weekend.
If you have Veeam agent and you're happy with, you don't need to change system image backup software. Although I prefer Macrium myself.

Momus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
Welcome to the forums! Thanks for sharing your configuration with us. My recommendations would be:

• Turn UAC to maximum
  • Add VoodooShield on automatic mode to pair it up with your actual AV (Emsisoft)
  • Add uBlock Origin and Disconnect as extensions to your browsers. Think about NoScript.
  • Consider a backup solution aforementioned
Many thanks to all of you! I will follow your recommendations, still not sure which on demand scanner I will use. I do prefer really light systems...

If you have Veeam agent and you're happy with, you don't need to change system image backup software. Although I prefer Macrium myself.
I'm used to Veeam that's probably the reason why it's installed. I'll take a look at Macrium, is it so much better or faster than Veeams free agent for Windows?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I'm used to Veeam that's probably the reason why it's installed. I'll take a look at Macrium, is it so much better or faster than Veeams free agent for Windows?
Backup speed, I feel Macrium was a bit faster but I'm not sure. I've never restored with Veeam so can't tell anything about that.
I want to ask, does Veeam free has incremental backup option?
Edit: Veeam has incremental backup. I really should Google before asking lol.

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Momus: I set temporally Your config as Caution, please reflect here in a post and editing Your config with the already mentioned suggestions, and then I will change the tag to Secure :)

Thanks for sharing! :)

Momus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
Backup speed, I feel Macrium was a bit faster but I'm not sure. I've never restored with Veeam so can't tell anything about that.
I want to ask, does Veeam free has incremental backup option?
Edit: Veeam has incremental backup. I really should Google before asking lol.
Yes, Veeam offers incremental backup. The free version feels light and somehow pure, just the basics. Not much to configure and to play around. It seems to be reliable and stable. It's performance is not breathtaking, for sure. That's why I will try out Macrium, let's see...

@Momus: I set temporally Your config as Caution, please reflect here in a post and editing Your config with the already mentioned suggestions, and then I will change the tag to Secure :)

No problem, but many thanks for explaining! I have no problem with the status, I came here asking for help and advice. Now I will check all the recommendations and I will update my PC status as soon as I made the changes required. I'm hopefully catching up with the topics sooner or later

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Yes, Veeam offers incremental backup. The free version feels light and somehow pure, just the basics. Not much to configure and to play around. It seems to be reliable and stable. It's performance is not breathtaking, for sure. That's why I will try out Macrium, let's see...
Macrium free lacks incremental backup. But I use it because its said to be the most reliable free backup tool.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Just one note from me as i don't normally give advice as i'm not really qualified but if your usb back up device is connected permanently then please consider removing it and only installing it when needed because if you get an infection of some sort then the back up files could also be infected too.

Momus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
Macrium free lacks incremental backup. But I use it because its said to be the most reliable free backup tool.
Hi, I must admit, Marcrium looks more like a real software suite compared to Veeam's agent. But you're right, liability in terms of the restore process is the key. Don't know how to test this process, but that's probably the only way to go! Thanks for your inputs and comments!!!

Just one note from me as i don't normally give advice as i'm not really qualified but if your usb back up device is connected permanently then please consider removing it and only installing it when needed because if you get an infection of some sort then the back up files could also be infected too.
That's a really good and valuable point as I have not considered this being a threat as well! May I ask you, what kind of backup concept you have in place? Obviously, my current usb drive seems to be part of the problem. I would need to crawl under the table each time to remove it...Thanks a lot!

@harlan4096 FYI, I have now installed the proposed changes to my config with adding Hitman Pro, uBlock Origin and Macrium Free. Many thanks to everyone here for taking the time, providing advice and answering my questions! Great Place to go :))

Momus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
I would add MalwareBytes Free.

Thanks for sharing it.
I uninstalled Malware Bytes (licensed version) mainly due to performance issues. It has a really good web protection, at least that's what I felt. But it used around 300 MB RAM and slowed down my system. Would it run smoothly along Emisoft Malware protection you think?

Dear all,

I have been reading through this forum since the last couple of weeks and just signed as a new user. With regards to malware and security threads I feel insecure and I would honestly appreciate your opinion about the setup of my PC! Sorry for my English as I'm no native speaker but I will try my very best! Many thanks in advance for your answers.
EDIT: updated my configuration according to proposals.

My configuration is now up to date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.