Advice Request Monitor: 4K2K, DCI-P3 or sRGB, HDR, Hz

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Are these important factors when buying a new PC monitor for professionals?

+ Any recommendations
What is your need ? Gaming? your graphics card?
If its for gaming 144Hz IPS is good. 1080P/2k/4k depends on your graphics card, if it can give you above 60 fps in 2k or 4k resolution on existing AAA games go for it otherwise 1080p is good enough and don't go for below 27" if you decides to choose for 2k/4k.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

144Hz isn't needed if you don't play ego shooter in professional way.
The human eye can only see 60Hz and that's totally fine for normal usage.

HDR is nice but not needed and in some times even annoying.

Color management is mostly only needed if you need stable colors like with photo editing.

4k is currently recommend way

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I think it's important to consider the balance between display size and resolution.
1080p for displays within 24 inches. For 4k, I feel that a display with at least 30 inches or more is optimal. The one that feels well balanced is the 2k 27 inches. It can be used without adjusting the font size. However, with the spread of 4k products, it seems that the number of 2k display types is decreasing.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I think it's important to consider the balance between display size and resolution.
1080p for displays within 24 inches. For 4k, I feel that a display with at least 30 inches or more is optimal. The one that feels well balanced is the 2k 27 inches. It can be used without adjusting the font size. However, with the spread of 4k products, it seems that the number of 2k display types is decreasing.
27 Inch is optimal for 4k too. I own one (27,9).
Only less isn't optimal

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Only less isn't optimal
Perhaps the relationship of the fonts used also influences. Specifically, such as recognition of kanji. It is a problem that can be cleared by adjusting the font size, but if you do this, it seems that there are small problems in the software and the entire UI such as the text in the window being cut off.;)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What is your need ? Gaming? your graphics card?
If its for gaming 144Hz IPS is good. 1080P/2k/4k depends on your graphics card, if it can give you above 60 fps in 2k or 4k resolution on existing AAA games go for it otherwise 1080p is good enough and don't go for below 27" if you decides to choose for 2k/4k.
Not for PC Gaming.

I've seen some are still selling curved displays, is this still something to consider?
144Hz isn't needed if you don't play ego shooter in professional way.
The human eye can only see 60Hz and that's totally fine for normal usage.

HDR is nice but not needed and in some times even annoying.

Color management is mostly only needed if you need stable colors like with photo editing.

4k is currently recommend way
Not for PC Gaming
HDR would be good for movie watching?
DCI-P3 is recommended?

Maybe this helps:
(y)

I'm upgrading away from 1080p 24" panel.
I've seen a few monitors with a 4K2K label, is that just marketing?

Only less isn't optimal
(y)

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I'm upgrading away from 1080p 24" panel.
I've seen a few monitors with a 4K2K label, is that just marketing?
The advantage of 2k4k is the expansion of the work area. This is useful when using software with many toolboxes or when typing text while watching a movie.

If its not for gaming and only for watching movies choose any 27'' or 32'' 4k IPS display from LG/SAMSUNG/Benq/ViewSonic . You don't need 144Hz refresh rate nor 1 ms response time.
For movie watching main use, I think VA display is better than IPS. It is difficult for IPS to reproduce the darkness.🌑

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.