Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Update:

- removed basilisk
Basilisk is very unstable, kinda expected since its beta. Using more ram than firefox, maybe provides better privacy but not worth using for now...

+ added pale moon as main browser ( using firefox on sites wich requires verification with bank account)
- ublock origin
- ublock origin updater
- decentraleys
- secret agent

Basically using palemoons own password manager, i only sign-in to MalwareTips + 2 other sites so nothing to worry about passwords there.

I dont bother running palemoon as sandboxed, but i keep sandboxie installed since its very useful software

I think palemoon is very privacy-wide browser, secure agent fake http headers is nice, even duckduckgo thought im uzing mozilla 2.0 so it redirected me to duckduckgo/ lite :giggle:

Its very fast, as fast as chrome, very stable too ( firefox)
The ui on most sites example on youtube is oldschool that i like alot

Also using like 200mb ram only on most sites, twitch tv around 500, wich beats chrome/ firefox

I dont think anything will beat palemoon for me

Reactions: harlan4096

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Update:
- removed kaspersky free ( wanted to try cf (cs) + comodo cloud, but didnt managed to get it working, something wrong with european product
- removed voodooshield ( didnt like ads, and no idea how to remove them throught windows firewall)
- removed unchecky ( replaced with filters)

+ added comodo internet security ( proactive config) ( cruelsister settings on firewall)
+ system hardener settings updated to @Evjl's Rain variation

+ comodo ice dragon
- qwant as search engine
- comodo online security
- ublock origin ( default filters + nanodefender integration)
- scriptSafe ( default block, fingerprint protection)
- privacy possum
- malwarebytes extension
- bitwarden

Reason i use comodo ice dragon; cant live with chrome font rendering, original firefox just doesnt fit, legacy browsers wont support malwarebytes extension

Anyway i wanna have my system as simple as i can from now, with comodo internet security.

Only thing im wondering is just should i add anti-exploit ( prevent) like appguard or malwarebytes beta? ( i can remember comodo taking care about browser somehow, but no idea is it called anti-exploit by comodo)

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Update:
- removed kaspersky free ( wanted to try cf (cs) + comodo cloud, but didnt managed to get it working, something wrong with european product
- removed voodooshield ( didnt like ads, and no idea how to remove them throught windows firewall)
- removed unchecky ( replaced with filters)

+ added comodo internet security ( proactive config) ( cruelsister settings on firewall)

+ comodo ice dragon
- qwant as search engine
- comodo online security
- ublock origin ( default filters + nanodefender integration)
- scriptSafe ( default block, fingerprint protection)
- privacy possum
- malwarebytes extension
- bitwarden

Reason i use comodo ice dragon; cant live with chrome font rendering, original firefox just doesnt fit, legacy browsers wont support malwarebytes extension

Anyway i wanna have my system as simple as i can from now, with comodo internet security.

Only thing im wondering is just should i add anti-exploit ( prevent) like appguard or malwarebytes beta? ( i can remember comodo taking care about browser somehow, but no idea is it called anti-exploit by comodo)
just this
protection as a rock

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Update:
- Cis removed

+ added comodo cloud ( maybe switch into kaspersky cloud, when available)
+ Syshardener now works with windows firewall ( evjl rains setup)

Might be stupid move, but i just got into SysHardener and want to get full benefit of it

I

illumination

Update:
- Cis removed

Might be stupid move, but i just got into SysHardener and want to get full benefit of it
May i drop something here as a reminder, that it is not necessary to be paranoid nor feel ashamed for not wanting to pile so much security on your system to the point it is barley usable let alone enjoyable...

Illuminations recommendation on Safe Habits...

-Knowledge: This should be the base of any good security configuration. Learning safer habits and utilizing your security as a "just in case" instead of trying to use many layers of applications to make up for lack of understanding.

-This should include the following aspects.

1. Be leery of clicking links especially in email or instant messages. Verify URL's, not only by manually looking at them, but also running them through URL scanners such as the one at Virus Total. If you are unsure still, the best course of action is to not click that link.

Bookmark important sites: A misspelled address could take you to a false site that mirrors the site you intended to go to. A book marked address will take you to the same site every time.

Passwords: In general you would be better off utilizing one of the many password managers, but as it often sometimes is, most average users do not, or can not, so keep this little bit of information in mind if this is the case.
Do not use the same password for all sites, if you are limited on what you can remember then please make sure to be careful and not use the same password for any of the sites you frequent as the ones you use for your email. If the site is to be breached, you would not want them to gain access to your email via same used passwords. Passwords should be strong, hard to guess or crack, password managers all have generators built in for building and storing strong passwords.

2. Updates/Patches:
Run maintenance on your system as you would a vehicle, consider it preventive maintenance. Always make sure to keep your system and applications patched. These patches and updates are for a good reason, they are plugging holes in your surface of attack. While i recommend keeping patched always, i would also state to do your research on certain updates for the OS/drivers/applications before applying, make sure there is not a fresh set of new bugs to contend with that are worse then what they are patching, this happens more often then most realize.

If you limit the amount of 3rd party applications on your system, you also limit the time doing maintenance, you limit the amount of freshly introduced bugs, and you keep your surface of attack smaller, and in the end, your machine will thank you for it by running better and being more enjoyable.

3. Back ups:
This is more important then security. No security out there can achieve 100% protection, if they could, they would already have a monopoly on the market and would have run all others out of business. Prepare for the worst, strive for the best.

Personal items are of the utmost important files on your system, once lost, they can not be replaced. Backing up externally or into the cloud "both recommended by me", so as to ensure you always have a copy of it obtainable. If something were to happen, you lose nothing this way, and can start freshly if needed.

Using images to create snapshots of your system works well for those who neither have the knowledge or time to repair/wipe a system. Windows has a built in option, although there are 3rd party options. It is a good idea also to keep on hand Microsofts media creation tool burnt to a flash drive, updated when needed. With this you can run repairs or wipe the system and build it from a clean install, which after a nasty infection, is always recommended to ensure you have eradicated the issue.

4. Security:
It has always been recommended for users to try applications for themselves. These products all have trials "most of them anyway", for this very reason. Test drive them for a couple weeks, does it fit your uses, is it running ok on your system and resources, are you comfortable with the settings and layout to get around and adjust it as necessary.

Learning the product is recommended here. Most throw them on with default settings and never venture in to settings to realize there is much more then meets the eye. Google search is handy for learning these, as are the manuals most of the products companies produce and are freely accessible. Watching youtube videos of a product will not help you decide what is best for you. You need to experience the product and settings to fully grasp it.

Understand you are a home user, and you are not targeted like corporations and businesses. The chances of you seeing sophisticated attacks and malware on that level are quite slim. There is no need for paranoia when you cover your basics, keep everything patched, backed up, use caution/safe habits when surfing.

Be careful what you divulge to websites "personal information", these as seen in the news are not as secured as they should be, once your information is in someone else's hands, anything can happen to it.

Know that the more security you pile on your system, the chances of incompatibilities/bugs arise and issues may occur. Finding a proper balance of application to knowledge ratio is fully recommended.

~illumination

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
This is good solution .
Kaspersky Free + VS is currently using it myself, there are no problems with booting the system and it is quite good protection, and it does not burden the system.
I liked voodooshield + kaspersky until voodooshield had enough false detections it became to advertise its product everytime i boot my computer, wich is kinda annoying. Kaspersky is nice, best free product available when it comes into security.

Anyways Syshardener + comodo cloud seems to be very lightweight and the sandboxing capablity wich comes with comodo is really nice. I personaly like comodo products over any other company, since they've been always free for their users.

Only thing i have noticed with Syshardener, is slow boot time, but that barely effect me since i barely boot my pc anyways.

Also it seems comodo webfiltering + signatures have been improved alot, its getting to avast + kaspersky level slowly when it comes into antivirus. Firewall is completely overpowered , but i wanted to give Syshardener a try and so far im liking it alot..

Reactions: oldschool

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Try and get a old installation of VDS (version 4.28). Sounds stupid I know. Based on bugs down the line in the new versions. Plus VDS isn't that exploitable, nor has their been any tests in the wild thus far factually stating so.

Syshardener is a great product which I cannot stress enough, needs to be on most configs. It doesn't just help harden the machine or help put in basic WF settings, it also helps block Unassociated files from loading and also from email attachments. It's great.

The whole thesis of "too much software makes you exploitable" I've been speaking with cyber expert, as long the software is updated and you don't have software installed which isn't used, as a home user you are not under the same pressure as a corporate business to make sure everything's looked at. Also he went on further to state that programs like OSArmor/Syshardener, CFW, most AVs, & Sandboxie help reduce the attack surface rather then contributing to it.

Where programs like 7Zip, Microsoft Office application, Windows Updates files, web browser plugins & other areas if not updated contribute further to exploitation/attack area. Same with AVs if not correctly updated often enough.

~LDogg

Reactions: jerzy601

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
May i drop something here as a reminder, that it is not necessary to be paranoid nor feel ashamed for not wanting to pile so much security on your system to the point it is barley usable let alone enjoyable...

Illuminations recommendation on Safe Habits...

-Knowledge: This should be the base of any good security configuration. Learning safer habits and utilizing your security as a "just in case" instead of trying to use many layers of applications to make up for lack of understanding.

-This should include the following aspects.

1. Be leery of clicking links especially in email or instant messages. Verify URL's, not only by manually looking at them, but also running them through URL scanners such as the one at Virus Total. If you are unsure still, the best course of action is to not click that link.

Bookmark important sites: A misspelled address could take you to a false site that mirrors the site you intended to go to. A book marked address will take you to the same site every time.

Passwords: In general you would be better off utilizing one of the many password managers, but as it often sometimes is, most average users do not, or can not, so keep this little bit of information in mind if this is the case.
Do not use the same password for all sites, if you are limited on what you can remember then please make sure to be careful and not use the same password for any of the sites you frequent as the ones you use for your email. If the site is to be breached, you would not want them to gain access to your email via same used passwords. Passwords should be strong, hard to guess or crack, password managers all have generators built in for building and storing strong passwords.

2. Updates/Patches:
Run maintenance on your system as you would a vehicle, consider it preventive maintenance. Always make sure to keep your system and applications patched. These patches and updates are for a good reason, they are plugging holes in your surface of attack. While i recommend keeping patched always, i would also state to do your research on certain updates for the OS/drivers/applications before applying, make sure there is not a fresh set of new bugs to contend with that are worse then what they are patching, this happens more often then most realize.

If you limit the amount of 3rd party applications on your system, you also limit the time doing maintenance, you limit the amount of freshly introduced bugs, and you keep your surface of attack smaller, and in the end, your machine will thank you for it by running better and being more enjoyable.

3. Back ups:
This is more important then security. No security out there can achieve 100% protection, if they could, they would already have a monopoly on the market and would have run all others out of business. Prepare for the worst, strive for the best.

Personal items are of the utmost important files on your system, once lost, they can not be replaced. Backing up externally or into the cloud "both recommended by me", so as to ensure you always have a copy of it obtainable. If something were to happen, you lose nothing this way, and can start freshly if needed.

Using images to create snapshots of your system works well for those who neither have the knowledge or time to repair/wipe a system. Windows has a built in option, although there are 3rd party options. It is a good idea also to keep on hand Microsofts media creation tool burnt to a flash drive, updated when needed. With this you can run repairs or wipe the system and build it from a clean install, which after a nasty infection, is always recommended to ensure you have eradicated the issue.

4. Security:
It has always been recommended for users to try applications for themselves. These products all have trials "most of them anyway", for this very reason. Test drive them for a couple weeks, does it fit your uses, is it running ok on your system and resources, are you comfortable with the settings and layout to get around and adjust it as necessary.

Learning the product is recommended here. Most throw them on with default settings and never venture in to settings to realize there is much more then meets the eye. Google search is handy for learning these, as are the manuals most of the products companies produce and are freely accessible. Watching youtube videos of a product will not help you decide what is best for you. You need to experience the product and settings to fully grasp it.

Understand you are a home user, and you are not targeted like corporations and businesses. The chances of you seeing sophisticated attacks and malware on that level are quite slim. There is no need for paranoia when you cover your basics, keep everything patched, backed up, use caution/safe habits when surfing.

Be careful what you divulge to websites "personal information", these as seen in the news are not as secured as they should be, once your information is in someone else's hands, anything can happen to it.

Know that the more security you pile on your system, the chances of incompatibilities/bugs arise and issues may occur. Finding a proper balance of application to knowledge ratio is fully recommended.

~illumination

+1
The OP is trying to achieve a perfect setup, and while I see his point, the best thing to do right now would be simplifying. Including a backup option, which is the main flaw of this config, plus ditching Comodo browser for Firefox would be nice suggestions.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Also if you're are looking for a light browser setup too extension wise, you could go uBlock/default filters/Defender Integration, Netcraft, Scriptsafe, Malwarebytes Extension. Doesn't take up a whole lot of CPU whatsoever. Firefox Quantum is really fast too!

~LDogg

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Or go ultra-slim: Edge browser + Nano Adblocker (medium mode & a few filters of your choice) + IP extensions. You get full Smartscreen benefits!

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
@oldschool @brod56

I just like to mess around trying different options thats where the fun comes from. Ive never been infected really, i cant say im immune to it tho. I would call im infected when i have panda.pup wich i cant get rid of ( couldve avoided with backup?)

Its either edge + nanoblocker or quantum with my current setup.

@LDogg ublock, scriptsafe, privacy possum, malwarebytes , bitwarden is must for me. I just prefer having scriptsafe* ( fingerprint protection + i can actually see whats happening on most sites i visit)

If i would go with edge, its bitwarden + nano, i wouldnt use any privacy extension since privacy possum doesnt exist, and ublock already can get rids of most trackers: id just like to have protection from fingerptinting

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Alright update:
- comodo ice dragon removed

+ i have moved to using edge as only browser ( thanks @oldschool )
edge extensions: nanoblocker, default lists + few extra adblocking lists) & bitwarden as password manager

Why? Font rendering ( darker, thicker font over Chrome) and stability like Firefox and Microsoft over Firefox as Company.

DuckduckGo as search engine. I dont mind about fingerprint security, but im willing to add that feature if some this kind of extensions come into edge in future

I have decided to left norton safe web out from edge extensions, due evjl rains browser extension tests

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
Update:
- Cis removed

Why Comodo Cloud AV+Syshardener over CIS?What are the benefits?

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I was about to say something when I saw I have already said that before. :D Just walking past to say hi and I hope you don't run into any troubles using comodo products. :emoji_ok_hand: I actually have one question, what would you do in a situation if BSOD happens and system becomes un-bootable?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Why Comodo Cloud AV+Syshardener over CIS?What are the benefits?
Less inpact in system, no need to have headache with firewall

@davisd Hard to say, i have never encountered BSOD since i have been using internet since 2002. I have ISO. file on usb, doesnt that work? No idea:eek:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.