https://malwaretips.com/threads/my-microwave.86080/

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Important things to change:
- Make sure you have data backup software such as Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper
- Change UAC to always notify

Couple of things you could change:
  • Change default search engine to Startpage, DuckDuckGo or searx.me
  • Bleachbit is an open source alternative to CCleaner
  • Add Zemana Anti Malware & Emsisoft Emergency Kit as second opinion scanners
  • Add Decentraleyes, Scripsafe & Privacy Possum to Chrome
  • You can remove Avira Browser Safety, general not needed
  • For Privacy you could add PrivaZer & Sandboxie
  • Adding OSArmor alongside Forticlient
Thanks for sharing, LDogg

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Important things to change:
- Make sure you have data backup software such as Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper
- Change UAC to always notify

Couple of things you could change:
  • Change default search engine to Startpage, DuckDuckGo or searx.me
  • Bleachbit is an open source alternative to CCleaner
  • Add Zemana Anti Malware & Emsisoft Emergency Kit as second opinion scanners
  • Add Decentraleyes, Scripsafe & Privacy Possum to Chrome
  • You can remove Avira Browser Safety, general not needed
  • For Privacy you could add PrivaZer & Sandboxie
  • Adding OSArmor alongside Forticlient
Thanks for sharing, LDogg
Thanks for post. I think im gonna check out duckduckgo, bleachbit and emsisoft when i have time.
Browser safety takes alot of memory and isnt needed but i just like the logo when searching something :D

- UAC notify is now enabled
- changed proactive mode to cruelsisters config, hips were too annoying with forticlient

Trying out edge as main browser, scrolling is smooth. i like the dark theme.
Keeping Chrome as backup browser, doing banking with it

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
@Moonhorse: a Disk Imaging Backup solution would be welcome, or al least a tool to save personal data to external devices.

Thanks for sharing :)
I have external hard drive for pictures, but i dont storage any pictures, music, movies or anything 'personal' stuff on my Computers hard drive. I always have used to do clean install once or two a year.

Basically all i do is browse web, gaming, streaming; Spotify, Netflix, etc.

- updated external hard drive tho, even i rarely use it

Aerdian

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2018
Similar to what others have said, here are my recommendations:
- Be sure to backup your system at least occasionally, even if you don't have anything important on your system. I would recommend at least doing a backup before every major Windows update just in case something goes wrong, you have something to easily revert to.
- I would suggest adding Zemana Antimalware to your second opinion scanners.
- Since you already have other security extensions for Chrome, I would recommend removing Avira. You should be completely fine without it, especially since Chrome already does a decent job at blocking malicious web pages on its own. Someone already mentioned this above, but just stating it again as that is also a recommendation of mine.
- I understand reasons that you may not want to save passwords, but a password manager is always a good idea since it can generate some very secure passwords for you. If you don't save your passwords, you probably have significantly weaker passwords than someone who generates secure passwords with one. 1Password is a great solution. LastPass is also a good option that is free.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I have external hard drive for pictures, but i dont storage any pictures, music, movies or anything 'personal' stuff on my Computers hard drive. I always have used to do clean install once or two a year.

Basically all i do is browse web, gaming, streaming; Spotify, Netflix, etc.

- updated external hard drive tho, even i rarely use it
You should make use of it asap and try to make a full system image in case poop hits the fan in your system, Macrium Reflect Free is great and reliable backup option. It's really worth the time investment at least to learn and for educational purposes to make one, because once you will do it, especially with MRF and restore system image, you will see how slick that process is. It may be handy one day, e.g. you never know what surprises next Windows updates may bring. :eek::D

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
@Aerdian im gonna check zemana, also remove avira from browser but for now im gonna stay with Microsoft edge as long i can, i just fell love with it. I have to check wich edge addons there are for password managers but i can get one you mentioned above, mostly theyre just email passwords and i have two step authenticator

@davisd I can give a try, i just clean install if something goes very wrong. Some people says it will decrease time of my hdd, but usually i just run clean install 1-2 times a year

Aerdian

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2018
@Aerdian im gonna check zemana, also remove avira from browser but for now im gonna stay with Microsoft edge as long i can, i just fell love with it. I have to check wich edge addons there are for password managers but i can get one you mentioned above, mostly theyre just email passwords and i have two step authenticator

Sounds like a fine plan. Edge is actually a good, secure browser :) I would probably be using Edge if I didn't have a Windows desktop and a Mac laptop :)

Reactions: AtlBo and Moonhorse

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
How are you finding Forticlient btw? I'm thinking about adding it to my config, but not sure if it's light or the protection is any good.

~LDogg

Reactions: AtlBo and Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
@Aerdian Edge is lighter than Chrome and most of video players working smoother, YouTube and other google sites just act poorly. Im gonna try duckduckgo with edge later tonight and pretty much it will beat Firefox in privacy and compete with Chrome in security

@LDogg I have only web filter enabled, people saying the filter is superior, its extreme easy to use and choose wich sites you wanna blacklist/whitelist. Its very lightweight and fits well with comodo. I have noticed my ping is just higher than usually when using filter. Im not sure about fortinets antivirus or application firewall/ other components but i have tried av and it had high ram usage. I have added few pictures, i dont know if they will help

I have to do more research with fortinet, maybe go with comodo firewall + fortinet after they release 6.0 officially this week(?). Also @ForgottenSeer 58943 is professional with fortinet, im just beginner and messing around, telling my opinions

Attachments

• forticomodo.png
    forticomodo.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 480
  • fortiweb.png
    fortiweb.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 476
  • fortiweb1.png
    fortiweb1.png
    9 KB · Views: 471
Reactions: AtlBo and stefanos
D

Deleted member 178

im gonna stay with Microsoft edge as long i can, i just fell love with it. I have to check wich edge addons there are for password managers but i can get one you mentioned above, mostly theyre just email passwords and i have two step authenticator
Bitwarden Edge's extension for password manager , cloud based, i use it on Chrome and edge and it works flawlessly.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
@Umbra thanks for suggestion, i have added bitwarden edge extension now

Added to config:
+ NVT OsArmor
+ Zemana as on-demand scanner

google Chrome:
+ added duckduck as default search
- Removed avira browser extension

Edge:
+ Added bitwarden password manager
+ DuckDuck go as default search
- Removed Mcafee Webadvisor (doesnt even work with duckduckgo searches and i already have decent web filtering)

Looking for free real time antimalware

Im aware of taking backups and might do it in future

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Edge is lighter than Chrome and most of video players working smoother, YouTube and other google sites just act poorly. Im gonna try duckduckgo with edge later tonight and pretty much it will beat Firefox in privacy and compete with Chrome in security
can you install h264ify and try to play youtube video on chrome?
video playback will be a lot amoother and it will use a lot less CPU

chrome by default doesn't support hardware-acceleration for youtube videos

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
@Umbra Well isnt comodo bit lighter atleast?

@Evjl's Rain Thats nice extension using half less memory on Chrome, what i just meant is that YouTube on edge takes to load like 10 seconds and its very stuttery. So far im liking edge more than Chrome currently

Also my fortinet is affecting my ping with its web filter and im just thinking going for something simple like Windows firewall + kfa soon .. All want is solid protection with minimal impact on my system

Reactions: AtlBo

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
The only free realtime anti malware out there is xVirus Anti Malware and it's donkey crap tbh. You're best off sticking to the Anti Malware softwares that's been suggested here.

~LDogg

Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
- Forticlient web filter removed ( due high ping browsing web / possible Network slowdown)
+ K9 Web Protection added

K9 Web protection seems very aggressive, with default settings its very effective speeding browsing
You can custom it as much you want to, good configuration
Zero inpact in browsing, only taking 6 mb memory

Since i have now norton dns & k9 web protection, only must have is ublock/nanoblock.

It even blocks google search due TLS, its perfect solution for people using edge, opera anything that lacks Chrome extensions. I recommend you to try out k9 its looking very good

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.