Advice Request Most necessary extensions?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
First I use uBlock Origin (+ Nano Defender) and HTTPS Everywhere, like you. These are standard addons that don't seem important, but are actually important. Then I use CanvasBlocker and Decentraleyes. They break a few pages, but bring something in terms of privacy. I also use a password manager, KeePassXC, which is open source and works great with my Firefox. That's all, you don't need any more.

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
First I use uBlock Origin (+ Nano Defender) and HTTPS Everywhere, like you. These are standard addons that don't seem important, but are actually important. Then I use CanvasBlocker and Decentraleyes. They break a few pages, but bring something in terms of privacy. I also use a password manager, KeePassXC, which is open source and works great with my Firefox. That's all, you don't need any more.
If they break some pages, just temporarily disable the extension, and then re-enable it.

vertigo

Level 2
Verified
Mar 18, 2018
ClearURLs, Cookies Exterminator, CSS Exfil Protection, Decentraleyes, Header Editor (with several custom rules), Kee, NoScript, Privacy Badger, Searchonymous, Skip Redirect, Smart HTTPS, Smart Referer, uBlock Origin, uMatrix, and Violentmonkey*. SSleuth is also a good one, but not necessary, and I currently have it disabled since I'm trying to isolate an issue. The same goes for HTTPS Everywhere (not really necessary with Smart HTTPS, though IIRC it's still somewhat helpful, but not enough for me to consider it necessary, which is why I've disabled it for testing. I also have other "necessary" extensions, but these are the security/privacy-related ones. And, of course, there's about:config and options tweaks. This is all in Waterfox, though I also use Vivaldi, Brave, and TBB, depending on what I'm doing. Absolutely NOT Chrome. Firefox/Waterfox is what I recommend for advanced users who want the most protection but at the risk of the most breakage (and therefore need to be able to fix it), Brave for all other users, since it has built-in protection with minimal breakage, and Vivaldi for sites that just don't want to work in either of the others, or if you want a Chromium browser with more features.

*Violentmonkey of course requires scripts to be useful, and these are the ones I use: Absolute Enable Right Click & Copy, Don't F*** with Paste, Conceal History Length, Conceal Window Name, Visited Lite, and AdsBypasser.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Context Menu Search - from 2014, reads browser history for no reason, but there is no replacement, I can not live without it.
Dictionary Lookup - another dead one from 2015, but useful to quickly find the meaning of the word, synonyms or a pronunciation.

Attachments

• capture_12162018_174916.jpg
    capture_12162018_174916.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 263
  • capture_12162018_174933.jpg
    capture_12162018_174933.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 234

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
- Netcraft (website reputation)
- Bitwarden (password manager)
- uBlock Origin (adblocker)
- Pocket (save websites for later)
- WebRTC Network Limiter (blocking WebRTC leak)
- MinerBlock (blocking miners on websites)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.