Most Windows Users Don’t Care About Security, Research Shows

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft is working to make Windows more secure, but this doesn’t necessarily mean that users are always ready to adopt the company’s latest technologies, and a study released recently shows that security is not a priority for a big part of the userbase.

Duo Security looked into the existing Windows usage data to determine how many people are running vulnerable versions of the operating system or applications that could expose them to attacks.

And it turns out that there are many of them, as Windows 7, an operating system launched in 2009 and which is affected by no less than 600 security vulnerabilities, as the research shows, is still running on 65 percent of the PCs across the world.

Windows 7 is still running perfectly fine for many users, but Duo Security explains that upgrading to Windows 10 and implementing new security systems should actually be a priority for everyone because it’s the only way to remain secure, pointing out that older versions of the operating system are more and more exposed to attacks.

Windows XP lives on
Furthermore, the company is concerned that Windows XP is still around despite the fact that it’s 15 years old and it no longer receives support since April 2014.

Windows XP has 700 vulnerabilities and 200 of them are labeled as critical. 51 percent of Windows XP users are still running Internet Explorer, which no longer receives security patches either, while Chrome is second with 27 percent.

Duo Security also warns that out of all systems where Internet Explorer is used as the main browser, 20 percent of them are actually running unsupported versions of the app. Flash and Java are also running on the majority of systems and, what’s more worrying, they’re old versions that are vulnerable to attacks.

The firm doesn’t necessarily recommend switching to Windows 10, but says that additional security measures need to be put in place, including additional authentication solutions, regular security updates, and automatic updates for both the OS and apps.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This may be true except for most users here at MT. ;)
Take the step from worrying about Security to being able to use your Windows PC everyday without having to deal with configuring the advanced security settings.

I have already given up on Avast Sandbox which doesn't work for most applications, Avast Secure DNS which always notifies that it's not able to work on my home network and numerous other features. Also considering the problems I have experienced with Avast Internet Security on other Windows PC's, for example, no network connectivity when using Avast Firewall. Downgrading to Avast Free Antivirus might not be a bad idea.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Two words: Alert Fatigue.

It is a relatively new concept (or one that is officially labeled that at least). It's kind of like a warning on a product. When you see it over and over and over, and there are false alarms, you get tired and feel that you may as well not bother. Think about the weather scenarios. People ignore the sirens and severe weather warnings/hurricanes, etc. Many times it isn't as bad as the media says it will be, but the times that it is- it is really bad. It is becoming a significant issue in the business sector (users get Alert Fatigue, click the link or open the malicious attachment and now you have a network wide infection).

It happens. I will admit that despite studying and taking courses in IT and InfoSec I occasionally get alert fatigue : So many vulns, patches at once and it just keeps on coming Ahh!, I patched Flash 4 times this month, lol. :p Then we get a break for a month or two. Those breaks are nice. Back to reality :)

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Honestly they know security but they don't care to take it deeper.

We cannot insist them to follow thoroughly but of course a mindset must taken to avoid any unnecessary click habits whether you take online or offline.

Actually in my environment, people are already aware on computer viruses issues however not on sophisticated ones.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

I think most users just turn on their pc,and expect it to function fully on its own,they do not have a addblocker,they are pressing download links,they use the same passwords,they have not heard the name password manager and so on and on.
they have lousy internet habbits,and i am not surpriced to hear the nr 65%o_O

RedTeam

Level 1
Verified
Oct 28, 2016
You can put up all the security guards in the world and the end user will still do something stupid.

Security is a very hard thing to get right. It takes years of learning and studying netsec topics.

Most people just want to browse facebook or post on twitter and update their linkdin profile.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
People are so complacent about IT security it makes my eyes water. Perhaps there is just too much distance to consequence. When you don't pay attention in traffic, you're bound to have an accident. That idea they can grasp. All that digital whatchamacallit? Not so much.

Can't remember how many times I tried to establish e-mail encryption with friends, family or business partners. Heck, I would have set it up for them. No chance in hell. "What you're writing there can actually be read by anybody. It's like a postcard instead of a letter." "Oh really?! Wow!! That's awful. Now lemme send you my tax form real quick." *sighs* :rolleyes:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.