hi,
my disk layout is:
disk 0: NTFS disk D: 465GB GPT
disk 1: NTFS disk C: (Windows 10) 31GB GPT boot
as you can see this is causing several issues because of small system partition

target arrangement:
disk 0: disk C: and D: and all other hidden partitions such as recovery
disk 1: empty for gnu linux

what is the best way to move windows 10 C: partition and all other to disk 0 without need system re installation?

Reactions: Nevi

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I used Paragon Hard Disk Manager for Windows to do that, it was very easy, clicked the drive with the windows OS hit copy, selected the drive I wanted to copy it to in my case a larger 1 TB NVME drive, and it was done in a few minutes. Restarted my system booted to bios changed boot drives and rebooted to the new drive.

It is pretty expensive software but I use it to do back ups as well so getting the most out of it. There are others that can do it as well you just need to research them and see what you like.

Reactions: mkoundo
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You can use Macrium Reflect free version. First make a backup of your system partitions -- this usually means the C drive and all the little partitions to the left of it. However, you may find that your recovery partition is to the right of the C drive, so include that, too, in your backup.
Then you simply restore your backup onto the target disk, which in your case is disk 0.

If you don't have a media available to store your backup, you can partition your disk 0. Make a big partition of 430 Gb, and a small one of whatever is left. Store your backup on the small one, restore the backup onto the big one, and then delete the small partition, if you want to.

Your BIOS might not boot to disk 0 because it is used to booting to disk 1. You can run the Macrium Reflect boot recovery tool and point it to disk 0, which will probably be identified as disk D, at this point. That should sort things out.
Or you can change the boot order in the BIOS settings if you feel comfortable with that.

Reactions: Nevi and harlan4096
Upvote 0

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
hi, i suggest you use macrium reflect free. i recently swapped out an ssd and imaging (not cloning) worked very well for me. basically you need to do the following:

1. install macrium reflect free
2. create a a rescue media (on a dvd or usb thumb drive) - other tasks>create rescue media
3. attach a usb hard drive (any will work fine as long as it has enough space)
4. create a system image - backup tasks> create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore windows
5. create an image of your D partition - backup tasks> image selected disks on this computer
in steps 4 and 5 it's worth "verifying" the images to ensure they've sound
6. boot your computer using the rescue media created in step 2.
7. restore your system image first.
Select your target disk in the lower window as the 465gb disk. note it may not be called disk 0. don't worry about that. on the target disk delete the d partition.
now drag and drop the system partition onto the empty target 465gb disk in the same order that they were imaged. when you've dragged partition c down. you can click on properties and increase its size if you want. note you can only change the size of the right-most partition shown. thus you will end up with:
1. no name (none) partition (fat32), 2. (none) partition (unformatted) 3. system (c:) (ntfs), 4. (none) (ntfs primary) and empty space for restoring the d: drive image later.

click through next, and finish

8. now select the data image you created in step 5. and once again select the 465gb disk as the target. drag the d partition down onto the blank space remaining on the right of the target disk. go into partition properties and use the maximum available space.

click through next and finish

try boot the computer. if it works great. if not, trying going into your bios to change the boot order of the drives, or if necessary fix the boot using the macrium rescue media as per

once your computer has booted ok, you can go ahead and delete the partition (diskpart > clean) on disk 1, to make way for linux.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.