Advice Request Moving up to Win11, but what was wrong with Win10? - Startpage screenshot

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
I'm just upgraded my aging Thinkpad, and with it the new Win11. Did I want to move up? Not particularly. That seems to be the story with M$, a constant change despite when things work well.

Here is a screenshot of my Win10 startpage (or what do you call it, when you hit the Win key). I love it. All software apps laid out in helpful groups, very convenient and practical. In comparisom so far, Win11 has just this useless tiny page.

As usual, I'll be looking to replicate the Win10 features I don't want to give up (and customising with Winaero lol) :cool:

Question, what does yours look like, similar, or totally different? :cool:

Win10 Start Page.png

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Similar opinions were frequently heard when win8's start menu became a panel display specification.

If the time comes for win12 to be announced, I'm sure there will be similar opinions on the win11 start menu.
The recent Windows UI tends to be rated higher after it degenerates.:)

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
I'm just upgraded my aging Thinkpad, and with it the new Win11. Did I want to move up? Not particularly. That seems to be the story with M$, a constant change despite when things work well.

Here is a screenshot of my Win10 startpage (or what do you call it, when you hit the Win key). I love it. All software apps laid out in helpful groups, very convenient and practical. In comparisom so far, Win11 has just this useless tiny page.

As usual, I'll be looking to replicate the Win10 features I don't want to give up (and customising with Winaero lol) :cool:

Question, what does yours look like, similar, or totally different? :cool:

View attachment 268462
oh my god what a mess 😦

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
oh my god what a mess 😦
Lol, yes I have to agree! :cool:

I should explain: what I meant was, in Win10, you have the rather excellent option to organise your software into groups. In the screenshot you can see I have my apps grouped into Imaging, Work, Anti-Malware, general utilities, and Newest. I find that really helpful, and it's been taken away in Win11. what a pointless move.

So, Question: How do you group your apps, or don't you need such?

@wat0114 @Sorrento

"I really like 11"

I agree and love it too, very happy with it, well mainly the cosmetic improvements, not so much the Telemetry! I just get baffled why they take away an excellent feature.

That was my point, and APOLOGIES for the ugly censoring :( :)

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Lol, yes I have to agree! :cool:

I should explain: what I meant was, in Win10, you have the rather excellent option to organise your software into groups. In the screenshot you can see I have my apps grouped into Imaging, Work, Anti-Malware, general utilities, and Newest. I find that really helpful, and it's been taken away in Win11. what a pointless move.

So, Question: How do you group your apps, or don't you need such?

@wat0114 @Sorrento

"I really like 11"

I agree and love it too, very happy with it, well mainly the cosmetic improvements, not so much the Telemetry! I just get baffled why they take away an excellent feature.

That was my point, and APOLOGIES for the ugly censoring :( :)
This is my impression. Don't get me wrong. I do not intend to deny your opinion.:D

I had the impression that the Start menu panel took up too much screen space. Dividing into groups means that the number of panels increases accordingly. If you think about it that way, win11 may have wanted the start menu to be compact.

Reactions: Sorrento

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Start menu panel took up too much screen space
Hi Zi. Umm, my Start menu takes up the whole Desktop space, which I prefer.

the number of panels increases accordingly

Huh? I have just the one panel, which takes up the whole of the space i.e. same size as the desktop, with all my apps to view. Are you saying you have to scroll down or something? But you also said 'Start menu panel took up too much screen space', so I'm confused :geek:

Also, in Win11, what are we supposed to do when we have more apps that there is space available? Pin them all along the Taskbar lol

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Hi Zi. Umm, my Start menu takes up the whole Desktop space, which I prefer.

Huh? I have just the one panel, which takes up the whole of the space i.e. same size as the desktop, with all my apps to view. Are you saying you have to scroll down or something? But you also said 'Start menu panel took up too much screen space', so I'm confused :geek:

Also, in Win11, what are we supposed to do when we have more apps that there is space available? Pin them all along the Taskbar lol
For example, if you're using Excel in full screen mode and you open a large Start Menu, won't part of the Excel table be hidden behind it? That's what it meant.;)
スクリーンショット (1).png
スクリーンショット (2).png

Reactions: Sorrento

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
won't part of the Excel table be hidden behind it?
Yes absolutely. My old Start Page opens up and takes up the entire desktop, full-screen as it were. I could have my apps grouped out and I had a great overview of my apps in their groups. That was on my Win10 laptop.

How do you organise or structure your apps in this new tiny Win11 Start page?

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018

Maybe it's time to change our perception of the Start menu. I recommend using software such as a launcher to organize your software. The straying of the start menu began around win8. Microsoft will change the specifications when the users are accustomed to it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.