Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Note: Firefox new version 100 will be available via internal-updater later today...
The first three-digit version of Mozilla's Firefox web browser has been released on May 3, 2022. Firefox 100 introduces a whole range of new features and improvements, including captions and subtitle support on YouTube for Picture-in-Picture, multiple language spell checking, HDR video on Mac, and hardware accelerated AV1 video decoding on Windows.
Executive Summary
  • Firefox 100 is the first version on Windows that is signed with SHA-256. On Windows 7 devices, KB4474419 is required to install Firefox successfully.
  • Some sites or services may break, if they use incorrect parsing of the user-agent. Chromium reached 100 as well recently, and this issue applies to all browsers that reach this version. Mozilla has support pages for desktop and Android for users who run into compatibility issues.
  • Firefox 102 is the next ESR release.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
FF v99.xx supports av01. LW supports too but it has a display issue i.e. many horizontal lines on the lower third of the screen

Ungoogled Chromium (Eloston) supports it. MS Edge does NOT.

You can check out the below YT videos

In YT, right click and go to 'Stats for nerds' and click it.

Under Codecs, AV1 will be displayed as av01. Otherwise, it'll display in another codec like vp09

Last edited by a moderator:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
After updating I suddenly wasn't able to connect to any website. Found out that my custom DoH server with NextDNS is the problem. Does anybody else have problems with DoH in Firefox v. 100? Will wait and see if it gets fixed soon. :(

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I was having disconnect issues prior to updating and assumed the issue was with my router because every time I restarted it, Firefox would instantly connect again.

I'll consider using another DNS provider for Firefox and see if the issue pops up again. So far so good after updating to v. 100 but the day is far from over. Edit: switched to Cloudflare and flushed the cache. Didn't have that disconnect issue using that, come to think of it.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
After updating I suddenly wasn't able to connect to any website. Found out that my custom DoH server with NextDNS is the problem. Does anybody else have problems with DoH in Firefox v. 100? Will wait and see if it gets fixed soon. :(

No issues here in my FF 100, but my DoH setup is for Quad9. what happens on your FF when you change just temporary DoH to default Cloudflare ?

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Did 100 drop yet? Curious to see if there are any improvements.
Nothing really special. I believe worth to mention (below) a useful option added by Mozilla now, but even that has been available since years on Chromium-based browsers....

• Firefox spell checking now checks spelling in multiple languages. To enable additional languages, select them in the text field’s context menu.

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021

I have no issues with Firefox 100 and NextDNS DoH. However, I also have system-wide DoH using NextDNS and Windows 11. Perhaps that difference matters?

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
FF v99.xx supports av01. LW supports too but it has a display issue i.e. many horizontal lines on the lower third of the screen

Ungoogled Chromium (Eloston) supports it. MS Edge does NOT.
Umm that's false, Edge does support AV1. You need the AV1 extension from MS store. Also change YT "Playback and performance" settings for AV1 playback to "Always prefer AV1".

Last edited:

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Firefox 101 Beta brings back the download prompt

After listening to feedback from users, Mozilla has added the Download prompt back in Firefox's beta channel. A reddit user spotted that the latest version, Firefox 101.0b2, displays the old prompt, giving more control to the user on how the download should be handled.

Firefox 101 Beta brings back the download prompt allowing users to choose whether to open or save files

A support page on Mozilla's website explains the change. It also highlights a new option that is available in Firefox's settings. Take a look at the two options below the "Applications" section.

The first radio button, when enabled, will Save files by default. The other one, will "ask whether to open or save files". This is essentially the same as changing the preference, but is a more user-friendly way to enable the old download prompt. Opening a file quickly, an easy way to cancel a misclick, and the choice of where the file should get saved are all very useful options to have.

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Is there a way to enable the new custom colors feature, which affects all site, without also affection extensions? When I enable that option it also drowns out the colors in uBo.

Reactions: JB007

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Regarding my post #14 on LW displaying horizontal lines in YT

If I move the mouse pointer into the YT screen the horizontal lines will appear regardless of whether the video is ap01 or vp09

If the mouse pointer is away from the YT screen then there are no horizontal lines

So, it means no issue of playing av01 codec in LW. The horizontal lines is likely another issue

colin.p

Jan 6, 2022
Regarding my post #14 on LW displaying horizontal lines in YT

If I move the mouse pointer into the YT screen the horizontal lines will appear regardless of whether the video is ap01 or vp09

If the mouse pointer is away from the YT screen then there are no horizontal lines

So, it means no issue of playing av01 codec in LW. The horizontal lines is likely another issue
I think that those lines are from youtube and not specific to FF, as I only use youtube in Chrome and I get those horizontal lines. It's been at least a month that those lines started to appear.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Looks like Firefox 100.0.1 will be released soon, but it's not ready via internal updater yet here on my FF 🤷‍♂️

The main change in Firefox 100.0.1 improves Firefox's security sandbox on Windows devices. Mozilla notes that the sandbox is blocking access to Win32k APIs for content processes on Windows now.

Linux and Mac versions of Firefox have seen security improvements in previous releases already. Firefox for Mac included changes in version 95 that block access to the WindowServer, which improved security and the process startup performance on Mac devices.

Firefox 99 for Linux included a change that removed the connection from content process to the X11 server, which "stops attackers from exploiting the unsecured X11 protocol".

The improvement in Firefox for Windows improves the browser's security significantly by blocking access to Win32k APIs for content processes. Mozilla notes that Win32k APIs are often targeted by exploits and that the limitation puts an end to these.

The change is being rolled out to Windows 10 Creators Update and newer versions of Windows at the time of writing, meaning any supported Windows 10 and Windows 11 installation with Firefox running on it is supported already.

Mozilla is still working on the Windows 8 implementation of the feature, and to support the security sandbox feature on older versions of Windows 10.

The organization published a technical overview of the feature and implementation on its Mozilla Hacks website.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.