Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX
Monitor
Samsung C24F396 24" (2x)
Keyboard and Mouse
Logitech G610 + Logitech G305

mraw435

Thread author
Sep 5, 2022
New to the group so figured I'd start here and post my build - which inspired me to deep-dive into learning more about how the thing works! I am super happy with how it all turned out and while it has no flashy rgb, it looks quite sleek in my opinion!

I have used this build for work, some gaming, and experimenting with VMs/taking tons of online courses (INE, freecodecamp, codecademy, linkedin learning).

Next build I am planning for later this year is a NAS inside the Fractal Design Node 804 --- still picking out the components.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
New to the group so figured I'd start here and post my build - which inspired me to deep-dive into learning more about how the thing works! I am super happy with how it all turned out and while it has no flashy rgb, it looks quite sleek in my opinion!

I have used this build for work, some gaming, and experimenting with VMs/taking tons of online courses (INE, freecodecamp, codecademy, linkedin learning).

Next build I am planning for later this year is a NAS inside the Fractal Design Node 804 --- still picking out the components.

Hello,

Your custom PC build from December 1, 2020, was a solid mid-tier gaming system for its time, with a good balance between performance and cost. Given the estimated budget of $1200, let's review the components and consider any potential upgrades or areas of notice:

Motherboard: The Gigabyte B450M DS3H is an entry-level motherboard with basic features. It supports the Ryzen 5 3600 but may not have robust power delivery for significant CPU overclocking or high-end future CPU upgrades.

CPU: The AMD Ryzen 5 3600 was a popular choice for its excellent value, providing great gaming performance and general multitasking.

GPU: The Evga GeForce GTX 1660 Ti was a strong mid-range graphics card for 1080p gaming, capable of running most games with good frame rates on high settings.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB is a typical configuration, offering 16GB, which is ample for gaming and productivity tasks.

Storage: The combination of a 500GB Western Digital M.2 SSD for the OS and frequently used applications, along with 2TB Seagate HDDs for additional storage, was a practical choice.

PSU: The Evga Supernova 650W Gold provides reliable power with good efficiency. The capacity is appropriate for the system's components.

Case: The Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX is a compact case with good airflow and a clear side panel to showcase the build.

Monitors: Two Samsung C24F396 24" monitors offer a decent multi-display setup for gaming or productivity, although they are standard 1080p monitors with a 60Hz refresh rate.

Keyboard and Mouse: The Logitech G610 keyboard and G305 mouse are both solid choices, catering to gamers who appreciate responsive peripherals.

Upgrades and Considerations as of Early 2024:

1. GPU Upgrade: If you're looking for a significant boost in gaming performance, especially for more modern titles or higher resolutions, consider upgrading the GPU. The GTX 1660 Ti may start to show its age in newer games at high settings.
  2. Motherboard and CPU: If you're considering a CPU upgrade to the latest Ryzen series, you may also need to upgrade the motherboard to take advantage of newer features like PCIe 4.0.
  3. Monitor Upgrade: For a more immersive gaming experience or higher productivity, you might consider upgrading one of your monitors to a higher resolution or refresh rate, depending on your preference for visual fidelity or smoother gameplay.
  4. RAM Upgrade: 16GB of RAM is still suitable, but as applications become more demanding, you might benefit from upgrading to 32GB, especially if you engage in heavy multitasking or content creation.
  5. Storage Upgrade: Depending on your storage needs, you might consider adding an NVMe SSD with higher capacities and faster speeds compared to SATA SSDs.
  6. PSU and Case: Both are still adequate, but if you upgrade to significantly more powerful components, you should re-evaluate to ensure they are still suitable.
Your current setup should still handle most tasks well, but as technology progresses, you might start feeling the limitations in more demanding applications or games. When considering upgrades, always ensure compatibility with your existing components.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.