MSE 3 beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
My last experiences with MSE on my actual host used about 70K - 80K. That was back on 2.0.

Currently on a laptop that has MSE 2.1 and no slow down what so ever.
Just the point to remember is everyone's system is different and therefor might experience different results.

W0jA2.png
on a 4GB laptop.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
Earth said:
The other day I installed MSE. Before the initial update it only used 10,000K, then afterwards it increased to 60-70,000K.

Do you think the updates affect RAM usage?

It does look like MSE stores signatures in RAM, I might install MSE in my VM and see if I can get the same result.

I always set MSE to monitor only incoming files and I untick the check box to scan downloads. Not sure how much difference it makes but like others don't notice a slow down.

A couple things I want to see in this version is.
- Faster cleaning of files. Even when it only seems to delete the file it seems to take ages to do it.
- Faster updates, I don't want it to update more often I just want to the process of checking, downloading and installing updates to be much faster.

Cheers
Shaun

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
MetalShaun said:
Just installed the new beta and they have done exactly what I was hoping they wouldn't do. :mad:

http://i.imgur.com/fQouJ.png

Which was? I don't see anything different?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Microsoft said:
Welcome to the Microsoft Security Essentials Beta Program!

Thank you for joining the Microsoft® Security Essentials Beta program. The Beta program is a fully functional antimalware app with ongoing updates to help protect your PC from viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. In addition to ongoing virus and spyware definition updates, we’ll provide software updates to the Beta for download through Microsoft Update on a periodic basis. To have these updates installed automatically, you must be subscribed to Microsoft Update with preferences set to Automatically download and install new updates. Learn more about automatic updates through Microsoft Update.

What’s New in the Microsoft Security Essentials Beta?

This Beta version of Microsoft Security Essentials includes the following new features and enhancements to better help protect your PC from threats:

• Enhanced protection through automatic malware remediation: The Beta program will clean highly impacting malware infections automatically, with no required user interaction.
  • Enhanced performance: The Beta includes many performance improvements to make sure your PC performance isn’t compromised.
  • Simplified UI – Simplified UI makes Microsoft Security Essentials Beta easier to use.
  • New and improved protection engine: The updated engine offers enhanced detection with cleanup capabilities and better performance.

Not a very informative changelog :dodgy: but that's what Microsoft does ....... I've downloaded and installed this BETA on my laptop.

Attachments

• 8e864130-b0c3-4a0f-9a16-e3168665cf8f.jpg
    8e864130-b0c3-4a0f-9a16-e3168665cf8f.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 625

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Will this be MSE 3 or 4 because if we look at the 'About' details , we can clearly see that Microsoft says : Security Essentials Version: 4.0.1111.0
Also ... Did they change anything in the UI? It looks almost the same as in the previous builds.........

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    220.5 KB · Views: 637

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
MSE is always known for not providing more information when a new version is released. So users thought always would be fixes of bugs and improvements.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
maybe they think, not too important to changing GUI, which critical is to improve detection.
we'll see how the level of detection:)

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
Jack said:
Did they change anything in the UI? It looks almost the same as in the previous builds.........

I can see some resemblance to the Metro design, But the dark abstract background was better looking then the plain blue. Who knows they could always change it up.
UI shouldn't be the main focus, Detection improvements is a must. Checking the memory usage I can see no improvements on that. Currently at 58K idle.

MSE 2.1:
W0jA2.png

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
McLovin said:
MetalShaun said:
Just installed the new beta and they have done exactly what I was hoping they wouldn't do. :mad:

http://i.imgur.com/fQouJ.png

Which was? I don't see anything different?

They have removed all the scanning options. Scanning incoming and outgoing files and the scanning of downloads check box.

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
MetalShaun said:
They have removed all the scanning options. Scanning incoming and outgoing files and the scanning of downloads check box.

Dumbing down the product so it seems.. Not good.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
MetalShaun said:

Well that would be a bad thing. Like MrXidus said insted of improving MSE they are downgrading it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Unless the one option covers already the way how to scan in realtime.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
MetalShaun said:

Unacceptable move. :mad: Looks like Bill Gates has started to hate security. :p

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Now available: Microsoft Security Essentials Beta 2nd Survey

Dear Beta User,
Thank you for joining the Microsoft® Security Essentials Beta. We hope you found Security Essentials to be easy to install and use.As part of the Microsoft® Security Essentials Beta, we would like to hear about your overall experience with Security Essentials beta by taking a short survey. We wanted to remind you to take the survey below and provide your feedback on the Beta.

If you part took in the Beta, please Sign In before completing the survey.

https://connect.microsoft.com/site981/Surveys

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Install the BETA again, the MS Connect site has 4.0.1111.0 and Windows Update has a March 2012 release of 4.0.1512.0 (6.9MB).

Change I noticed

WYkQr.png

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Backgrounds always change. Personally, I don't really care about such stuff one way or the other. I don't use desktop backgrounds or any such stuff either. Now a horrific one with really bad color combinations that makes things hard to see or use would be totally different - then I'd care. But this is just mildly different and doesn't affect functionality so I don't really care.

I think it's just a name change because too many people were afraid SpyNet meant Microsoft was spying on them and so were opting out and losing one of MSE's key advantages just because of a spooky name. I'll check further to see what I can find, but I think it's the same thing (though it may be changed on the inside - and I'll see if I can find anything on that too - but info is hard to come by at this point). I can't even sort Beta from Not Beta threads yet!

Link

Related on the new name for Microsoft Active Protection Service.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This happened on Windows 8's Windows Defender too, I think.

Thanks for the info James.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
MetalShaun said:

I was just thinking about this setting and wondered whether they just removed the setting from the UI but the setting could still be swtched in the registry. It turns out it can!!!.

all you have to do is navigate in regedit to :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\microsoft\microsoft Antimalware\Real-Time Protection\

And create the followwing reg key.
Value
0 = scan all files
1 = scan incoming
2 = scan outgoing
cFTWr.png

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.