MSE 3 beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

network86

Thread author
Oct 12, 2011
For anyone who is interested in MSE, apparently the beta for version 3 will be released soon...

http://microsoft-news.com/new-microsoft-security-essentials-beta-on-the-way/

http://www.neowin.net/news/new-microsoft-security-essentials-beta-inbound

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Not that is has no substance, I can't help but have a feeling that MSE 3 might be a huge improvement due to Windows 8 being around the corner, what does everyone else think?

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
AyeAyeCaptain said:
Not that is has no substance, I can't help but have a feeling that MSE 3 might be a huge improvement due to Windows 8 being around the corner, what does everyone else think?

Same thought. :p

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I'll certainly be trying it out, Pretty sure my email is in the Microsoft Connect listings. We'll see.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I think the upgrade will be much like from version 1 to 2, improved detection rates but nothing else.
I don't think they will introduce any new features. With SmartScreen around the corner, they don't have to.
This is supposed to run on laptops and tablets alike, any required user interaction will be bad for the product and Windows.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
mse is good for user who don't wana pay and want a simple antivirus would be great if they could implement an update function which doesn't rely on windows update because several user miss update like that not everyone sit infront of their pc 24/24hr.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Thanks for letting us know. Will be trying this out. Hope that they have improve the removal time and the scan time.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
New features in the Beta of Microsoft Security Essentials include:
  • Enhanced protection through automatic malware remediation - The Beta will clean high-impact malware infections automatically, with no required user interaction.
  • Enhanced performance - The Beta includes many performance improvements to make sure your PC performance isn’t negatively impacted.
  • Simplified UI - Simplified UI makes Microsoft Security Essentials Beta easier to use.
  • New and improved protection engine - The updated engine offers enhanced detection and cleanup capabilities.

Source: Microsoft Security Essentials beta registration opens [blogs.technet.com]

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I'm a big fan of Microsoft Security Essentials and I will certainly be trying out this Beta on my VM.

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
bogdan said:
  • Enhanced protection through automatic malware remediation - The Beta will clean high-impact malware infections automatically, with no required user interaction.
  • Enhanced performance - The Beta includes many performance improvements to make sure your PC performance isn’t negatively impacted.
  • Simplified UI - Simplified UI makes Microsoft Security Essentials Beta easier to use.
  • New and improved protection engine - The updated engine offers enhanced detection and cleanup capabilities.

Source: Microsoft Security Essentials beta registration opens [blogs.technet.com]

All of which sound exciting. It will be interesting to see if the Antimalware Service MSE runs has decreased the memory usage and to see if this simplified UI is an improvement or a fail.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
I hope when they simplified the UI they haven't removed the options to scan only incoming or outgoing files like the windows 8 version has done.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for the news and updates, I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully I'll get an invite.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
bogdan said:

Sounds more like a v2.5 Upgrade than a v.3 one :p anyway signed up for the BETA , lets see how MSE 3 will be....

iGwgg.png

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For MSE beta hopefully those improvements will bring great changes as a free AV. And maintaining as user friendly.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The other day I installed MSE. Before the initial update it only used 10,000K, then afterwards it increased to 60-70,000K.

Do you think the updates affect RAM usage?

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
My guess is we'll see very little if not no difference in memory usage.

But I'm hoping we do.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Earth said:
The other day I installed MSE. Before the initial update it only used 10,000K, then afterwards it increased to 60-70,000K.

Do you think the updates affect RAM usage?

Yes they should work on this aspect also but let me ask you... Did you feel any slow down while using MSE?? because when I've tried it , it did use a lot of RAM but I couldn't feel any system slow down.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Jack said:
Yes they should work on this aspect also but let me ask you... Did you feel any slow down while using MSE?? because when I've tried it , it did use a lot of RAM but I couldn't feel any system slow down.

I have a bit of a slow down when using it. It is a good free AV but they really need to improve the performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.