Periodic malware scanners
Live: - AdGuard -WinPatrol - Winscribe - ZAM
On Demand: - Trojan Remover - Rouge Killer - Reflect Image
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Favicon Remover, HTTPS Everywhere
Maintenance tools
Park Control, O&O ShutUp10, CCleaner, Wise365 (lifetime) SpywareBlaster, Start 10
File and Photo backup
At least three times a week full Reflect Image (I I don’t use incremental) - I have 3 external drives & separate partitions on HD for data & images, all data copied to external drives & images copied at least weekly.

Images gradually deleted until one a month kept for 6 months. I rotate one drive kept at remote location. Only two drives are copied to at any time in case of infection.
System recovery
Reflect Image

Cortex

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Been messing around greatly: One problem I do have is other users who use this PC when I'm not around, I've tried to make it secure as I can within my limits & to make the PC usable by others.

All below are running in background:

1.Sophos Home Premium
2.Windcsribe VPN (12,000 year licence)
3.Comodo FW
4. AdGuard (program)
5..Shadow Defender
6. ZAM

On Demand Scanners:

1.Trojan Remover (got a lifetime licence a lifetime ago) Starting to feel guilty.
2.Rouge Killer

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I was wondering about Comodo Firewall, the issue has been sorted by removing it. I quite like Emsisoft & just renewed it. I forgot to mention I use Reflect Image three times a week or so & back up to 3 separate external drives.

Not security but I find Process Lasso very useful despite it being a pretty fast PC with 16 GIG RAM. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated! Any more suggestions to add alter or remove??

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Been messing around greatly: One problem I do have is other users who use this PC when I'm not around, I've tried to make it secure as I can within my limits & to make the PC usable by others.

1. Emsisoft AM
3.Comodo FW (not added CS settings yet)
4.HitmanPro.Alert
5. AdGuard (program not extension)
6.CCleaner Pro
7.Shadow Defender

Remove Comodo FW, Remove Adguard, Remove CCleaner. Replace Ccleaner with something better like Wise, Privacy Eraser, Kerish, whatever. You should be more than secure with just EAM+HMPA alone and uBlock in the browser and the machine will run much faster..

Process Lasso is 100% useless on anything but a potato computer, you may find it actually reducing performance overall otherwise. Unpark the cores with Park Control and walk away.

More is not always better. IMO.

Ditch all of the on-demand scanners. You have HMPA for that. I'd advise to stop spending money on adjunct products and junk you don't need.

Barakah

Level 3
Verified
Apr 13, 2018
Really? Guess you don't watch any Video reviews on MT...
I had watched your video posted on your status the one about scripts. I recommended Emsisoft based on my experience with it. If one runs in any issue with it, their forum is great and they will offer great help. It does not matter what Security product one should use (I know they vary in performance) but one should always be careful online.

Reactions: catjc and jadinolf

Cortex

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Most of the programs were either Givaways or lifetime licenses for a pittance excepting Emsisoft. As its used by teens & edjits while I'm away I do think it makes a difference, a very big difference. (I have 4 children & Grandchildren, oh and a wife & daughter-in-laws) I run my own business so HM government pays for some of my online presence.

A couple of years ago I got free AdGuard licences & in my opinion it wipes the floor with UnBlock & every other extension based blocker, but I'll give it another try (I did ask) Can't see the point in removing on demand scanners that cost me nothing & use no CPU cycles.

(The 12,0000-year licence with Windscribe isn't 12,0000 years, after the years have ended you contact Windscribe & you get another 12,0000 years, can't be bad) Thank You all,- I'll reconsider

Cortex

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Or just stay with Comodo FW + CS settings, removing EAM, and HMPA (disabling its real-time protection, but keeping it for on demand scans)

I don't think I'm quite ready for such measures yet, (probably make sense though) I'd have to see more info before I go down that path but thank you ...

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

after the years have ended you contact Windscribe & you get another 12,0000 years, can't be bad
..lol :X3: Dig underground a time capsule so my grandchildren in 120th generation can confirm if Windscribe weren't lieing about it. I am pretty sure humanity will be dead by that time, not Windscribe, they have plans to expand server list to "Milky Way". Aliens are already laughing at us. :alien:

Last edited by a moderator:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

1. Emsisoft AM
3.Comodo FW (not added CS settings yet)
4.HitmanPro.Alert
5. AdGuard (program not extension)
6.CCleaner Pro
7.Shadow Defender

On Demand Scanners:

1.Trojan Remover (got a lifetime licence a lifetime ago) Starting to feel guilty.
2, Spyware Blaster (unknown value)
3.ZAM
4.Rouge Killer

Does look a bit OTT, when listed like it is esp. the background ones but the PC is snappy & very stable. Opinions requested.

Paul

I see one issue and that one issue is 12k year license for Windscribe VPN. You should at least give me 100 year license of Windscribe VPN.

Reactions: Cortex and jadinolf

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Music4Ever: I would enable Device Security Disabled -> SmartScreen, and UAC al least in Default.

Also would be interesting some ad blocking in Chrome -> uBlock Origin or AdGuard AdBLocker add-on.

Thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JM Safe

Cortex

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Thanks for the input: I've addressed the issue of Smart Screen & UAC, plus added HTTPS Everywhere to Chrome. I'm not sure about adding adblocking to Chrome as an extension when I'm already running AdGuard? Is this the right thing to do? Am I better removing AdGuard Pro? Thanks for input - Paul

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.