mute_62

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 14, 2013
Processor: i7-3632QM 2.20GHz
RAM: 6gb
Video: Intel HD4000 + NVidia 645m
HDD:1TB 5400

I'm using Visual Studio 2013 and develop phone software. I need light but powerfull antivirus and firewall.
That's my config.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows 8.1 is packed more security than Windows 7. Out of the box, it comes with it's own Antivirus, a re-branded Microsoft Security Essentials called Windows Defender as well as Windows Firewall. Since Windows 8 it now implements system wide protection using Windows SmartScreen (previously seen in IE). You should however, continue to utilise User Access Control (UAC) at minimum on Default settings as long as you acknowledge it's warnings.
Windows Defender has a very low False-positive rate, so it shouldn't flag the software or apps you develop and it doesn't consume a lot of CPU / RAM.

Suggestion:
Not many Antivirus' detect unwanted software, adware or toolbars. I recommend Unchecky, if you're the type who doesn't perform custom installations of software you use.
http://unchecky.com/

Security checklist for Windows:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/security-checklist-windows

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Agree with Earth above, but if you are OK with ESET just tell me some day before your license expires... ;)

Reactions: sid_16

mute_62

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 14, 2013
Hi! Thank you for your answers, i always custom installations of software. I'm using default setting windows 8.1 . Im OK with eset but sometimes i feel i need a little light antivirus than eset.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What are you referring to when you say "light antivirus"? Features? IO/CPU/RAM Utilisation?

mute_62

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 14, 2013
When i said 'light antivirus', i mean low ram usage. Eset use 126mb ram atm. But sometimes (when i have opened 3 or more vs2013 instance) it has usaged 170+mb ram. Maybe it's onyl my paranoia :) . Thank you again for your all answers.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
When i said 'light antivirus', i mean low ram usage. Eset use 126mb ram atm. But sometimes (when i have opened 3 or more vs2013 instance) it has usaged 170+mb ram. Maybe it's onyl my paranoia :) . Thank you again for your all answers.
On Intel Core i7 and 6 gigs of ram it's nothing :D
Ram usage is the less important thing about the lightness of the AV (of course for machines with >1GB RAM)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.