Troubleshoot My computer is semi-froze

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I am able to use Chrome, and talk here, but can't get CCleaner to unfreeze, or close or uninstalled or... Neither uninstall or shred file will work.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Last night, feeling brave and more intelligent than I am, I added some programs. Then, I removed those I was able to once it froze. Please advise! Thanks, tallorder
Last night, I downloaded and put on some programs, feeling wiser and more confident than I have in things that might keep my computer safe and run better... Today, I can't use it, (barely) after having gone to an email in Outlook.

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
It is working again, however, still do not know about the initial problem, that caused it to freeze in the first place, when I clicked on that email in Outlook. That made me need to turn off computer at the power strip, and turn it back on. Then, I had the clock incorrect, which kept me from accomplishing any of the removals I was trying. How do I or can I scan an email prior to clicking on it? All conversations appreciated...

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
And I was SOooooo proud of myself!! I put on Hitman Pro, did some additional and some subtractional scans, did a defrag... I was Soooooo proud! I thought I had paid good attention to not having conflicting programs... have been doing my homework and reading all the great articles here!!:eek:

Upvote 0

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Hi, donetao! I went to the links you gave me, which were most helpful, but I don't think it was what was happening today. The email I clicked on was supposedly sent from a friend, but had absolutely zero content. Nothing, not one word. I always have behavior problems when I go to outlook, which is why I now use gmail, but this one just wouldn't let me even turn the computer off. Like I told frogboy, I was so proud of myself, had put some additional protections on here, thought I had checked to see if they were 'light' and could all be here, but one that I downloaded added another, even though I had said no to it.

This is what downloaded even though I said no, when I downloaded smart defrag, it just added itself. And, since I am trying to keep this computer running another month or two, I thought it wasn't good to have all these programs running at the bottom of my computer, on start-up. Thought I might be adding too much, and so I also told smart defrag not to put that on startup, but it did it anyway. Here are the links to everything I can remember downloading last night...
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bvckup_2_beta.html

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi @tallorder I'm really not sure if I'm understanding you. The only thing you really need to start up are your security programs. I have MSE and MBAM Pro starting up. I have no knowledge of the program you down loaded. I would suggest you run Malwarebytes free, then Adwcleaner, then ESET on line scanner. You can control what starts up with CCleaner.
I don't have a clue why your PC froze up. After running those programs you might think about letting our malware team check you out for malware, just to be on the safe side.

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 471
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
I will really need to come back tomorrow, as I have been up 3 nights in a row, for most of the night after a full day. I am way too tired to supply you with enough info to help you or me! Thanks!

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
since I am trying to keep this computer running another month or two, I thought it wasn't good to have all these programs running at the bottom of my computer, on start-up. Thought I might be adding too much, and so I also told smart defrag not to put that on startup, but it did it anyway.

That illustrates the reason I don't go near anything from IOBit. They have a nasty habit of surreptitiously taking over the computer. I also have had serial boot failures due to Smart Defrag's Boot Defrag when I was testing it.

What do you mean about keeping the machine going for another month or two? Was it on its last leg before this?

As to the problem, I'm not sure what the cause is. It could be a confluence of things. I would start with the basics. First, you might be able to undo problems with a System Restore in Advanced Boot Options (mash F8 as the BIOS screen closes). It may be too late to chose the "Last Good Configuration" option, which is often very handy.

I then would do a chkdsk /f. Chkdsk /f /r is called for as well, but first copy all valuable data to another storage device, because it can be destructive.

Then a deep scan with a good anti-malware prog. Malwarebytes is great. I also like Kaspersky offline.

It could be that too many things are starting up automatically. CCleaner is good for trimming the waste. This is especially critical when it comes to scanners. And I always turn off CCleaner's own resident monitoring for the same reason.

I find it hard to believe that Outlook would let a blatant exploit in via email. I don't use the prog, but presumably it hooks into your running AV. Again, it may be that too many cooks are spoiling the pot, AV-wise, on your system.

Upvote 0

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
That illustrates the reason I don't go near anything from IOBit. They have a nasty habit of surreptitiously taking over the computer. I also have had serial boot failures due to Smart Defrag's Boot Defrag when I was testing it.

What do you mean about keeping the machine going for another month or two? Was it on its last leg before this?

As to the problem, I'm not sure what the cause is. It could be a confluence of things. I would start with the basics. First, you might be able to undo problems with a System Restore in Advanced Boot Options (mash F8 as the BIOS screen closes). It may be too late to chose the "Last Good Configuration" option, which is often very handy.

I then would do a chkdsk /f. Chkdsk /f /r is called for as well, but first copy all valuable data to another storage device, because it can be destructive.

Then a deep scan with a good anti-malware prog. Malwarebytes is great. I also like Kaspersky offline.

It could be that too many things are starting up automatically. CCleaner is good for trimming the waste. This is especially critical when it comes to scanners. And I always turn off CCleaner's own resident monitoring for the same reason.

I find it hard to believe that Outlook would let a blatant exploit in via email. I don't use the prog, but presumably it hooks into your running AV. Again, it may be that too many cooks are spoiling the pot, AV-wise, on your system.
I would like a new computer, as this one has Windows XP, SP3, as shown on my configuration, and is not one I want to upgrade to Windows 8. There isn't enough ram, although just 3 wks ago added ? 2GB? more. The processor is ancient and slow, if I do 3 things at once, it freezes up for 45 seconds or if I click too fast! I always get this: page(s) not responding. Kill page or wait? I could kill the computer!!! I don't have time for that much slowness: I am always ALWAYS running my b**t off!! So, would really like a new computer, don't know what is big enough and fast enough and will still do my music things,(see config), ebay- where I LIVE, and my hubby's you tubes on guitar playing stuff, and keep me safe, too.

How do I turn off CCleaner's resident monitoring, as I removed it when this computer froze on me. Also, how do I really take unwanted programs off. I see a bunch of unused, and no longer needed stuff on my programs from two years ago, like Avira, etc. I also have a million IDX folders. What are they? Thanks, tallorder

Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
I wish I could find your configuration. It's the first thing I went looking for, but I don't know where it would be on this forum.

If the hardware is older, XP is a great OS for it. Linux would be an alternative. I do a lot of work on netbooks with early Atom CPUs and XP does dances around Win7 Starter in that setting. I suspect a good tune up or perhaps a Reset would do wonders for your machine, whether you keep it or not. Keep autoruns to a minimum.

Another option for speed is to migrate to an SSD drive. They are amazing.

The newer CCleaners have monitoring built in. It's under Options. I don't even know what it does, but I am very frugal when it comes to apportioning residency rights to any processes. I do most of my maintenance manually, periodically.

Uninstalling progs can be done in Control Panel (add/remove progs, in XP), or it's easier in CCleaner. Most progs leave stuff behind, which can be gotten to manually.

IDX sounds like index. The question is which prog is spawning them.

Upvote 0

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
I wish I could find your configuration. It's the first thing I went looking for, but I don't know where it would be on this forum.

If the hardware is older, XP is a great OS for it. Linux would be an alternative. I do a lot of work on netbooks with early Atom CPUs and XP does dances around Win7 Starter in that setting. I suspect a good tune up or perhaps a Reset would do wonders for your machine, whether you keep it or not. Keep autoruns to a minimum.

Another option for speed is to migrate to an SSD drive. They are amazing.

The newer CCleaners have monitoring built in. It's under Options. I don't even know what it does, but I am very frugal when it comes to apportioning residency rights to any processes. I do most of my maintenance manually, periodically.

Uninstalling progs can be done in Control Panel (add/remove progs, in XP), or it's easier in CCleaner. Most progs leave stuff behind, which can be gotten to manually.

IDX sounds like index. The question is which prog is spawning them.
http://malwaretips.com/threads/tallorders-computer-configuration.40752/

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! This is MHO! If you have a way to restore back to factory; that's what I would recommend. You have way to many things going on here. I would save all data and restore to factory settings. Xp is no longer supported which will make you vulnerable on the Web. I wish I could help you clean up your PC, but it's not possible over the internet. You might think about a Linux OS to replace XP. as It will not be a good idea to go on the internet with XP3.
Sorry that's my best advise. Maybe other MT members will have better advise for you!

Upvote 0

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Good to see you back again. :) I would like to help but i do not know xp at all. :(:p:D
Hi! I do not think I am out of the woods yet! (turkey hunters are out, LOL), but working on it. Think I need to get rid of the IOBit, but it 'said' it did a good job on defrag...:)

Upvote 0

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Hi! This is MHO! If you have a way to restore back to factory; that's what I would recommend. You have way to many things going on here. I would save all data and restore to factory settings. Xp is no longer supported which will make you vulnerable on the Web. I wish I could help you clean up your PC, but it's not possible over the internet. You might think about a Linux OS to replace XP. as It will not be a good idea to go on the internet with XP3.
Sorry that's my best advise. Maybe other MT members will have better advise for you!
Sorry, donetao, but what is MHO?

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.