Troubleshoot My computer is semi-froze

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I am able to use Chrome, and talk here, but can't get CCleaner to unfreeze, or close or uninstalled or... Neither uninstall or shred file will work.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Last night, feeling brave and more intelligent than I am, I added some programs. Then, I removed those I was able to once it froze. Please advise! Thanks, tallorder
Last night, I downloaded and put on some programs, feeling wiser and more confident than I have in things that might keep my computer safe and run better... Today, I can't use it, (barely) after having gone to an email in Outlook.

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Wow:
Have McAfee Antivirus Plus installed
If there is one thing I would do, it would be to uninstall McAfee, then use their uninstall utility to really get it off, and go with a lighter AM such as Panda, which is free and very light on resources.

I didn't see any hardware configuration on that page?

Upvote 0

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Hi! This is MHO! If you have a way to restore back to factory; that's what I would recommend. You have way to many things going on here. I would save all data and restore to factory settings. Xp is no longer supported which will make you vulnerable on the Web. I wish I could help you clean up your PC, but it's not possible over the internet. You might think about a Linux OS to replace XP. as It will not be a good idea to go on the internet with XP3.
Sorry that's my best advise. Maybe other MT members will have better advise for you!
Thanks. With the small processor, is Linux OS really worth it, at this point? What cost is involved, vs. replacing computer?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Wow:
Have McAfee Antivirus Plus installed
If there is one thing I would do, it would be to uninstall McAfee, then use their uninstall utility to really get it off, and go with a lighter AM such as Panda, which is free and very light on resources.

I didn't see any hardware configuration on that page?
I don't know where to look for my hardware configuration. Can you tell me? Also, just won a key to emsisoft Internet Security 9, which I was planning on putting on here tomorrow.

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi We work as a team on MT. You are getting great advise from other members. It is my opinion that a reset to factory after saving your data is some thing you need to consider. Linux are free OS's that you can down load. There are many versions and I'm sure someone here can help you with that. I'm going to bow out for now and watch this thread. You will get the best advise here on MT.
Good luck!

Upvote 0

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
For backups I use AOMEI Backupper. It's free. You need the full version for XP, still free.
Just went and looked at that, will probably do that tomorrow. Looked at many options at Major Geeks, but didn't see this, and wasn't sure which one might be simple... Thanks!

Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Regarding music, linux also has a pretty amazing free mixing studio prog, free: LMMS I think is the name. I had a netbook running XP that I converted to ubuntu, and the difference was amazing. It was an old install of XP, though, so the comparison wasn't really fair.

Upvote 0

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Hi We work as a team on MT. You are getting great advise from other members. It is my opinion that a reset to factory after saving your data is some thing you need to consider. Linux are free OS's that you can down load. There are many versions and I'm sure someone here can help you with that. I'm going to bow out for now and watch this thread. You will get the best advise here on MT.
Good luck!
Appreciate it, donetao! Will try to allocate time tomorrow for the backup first, then to proceed. Appreciated much!!

Upvote 0

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Regarding music, linux also has a pretty amazing free mixing studio prog, free: LMMS I think is the name. I had a netbook running XP that I converted to ubuntu, and the difference was amazing. It was an old install of XP, though, so the comparison wasn't really fair.
This computer is probably an old install...? It was built in '06 or '07, and I traded it for a mandolin and $40.00 in 2011. I didn't even realize they made processors this tiny... Anyway, it feels like getting time to replace, after Jeep repair, ....etc, etc...

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.