My configuration - normalizerx

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Real-time protection
Your real-time protection looks very good normalizerx.How is Avira running along side Comodo Firewall?
Why aren't you using the Comodo Antivirus?
On-demand scanners
While HitmanPro is a very good scanner, I would also add Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on my list.
Browser protection
What extension are you using with Firefox?

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Actually before this set-up I used CIS 2012 full suite with Webroot SA Essentials and it was fine to a degree but sometimes I like to change and test a new set-up. Besides the AV part of Comodo still lags a bit on update and when the real-time scanner is set to Stateful, sometimes it fails to delete malware upon download to the hard drive - it pops up saying "quarantined" but the
malware is still there. This was a bit annoying for me. Webroot on the other hand slowed down Chrome a bit on certain websites.
With Firefox I use Adblock and McAfee Siteadvisor Live - it's excellent, I've tested it on many malware links - it offers even download protection. When you download something from a site that Siteadvisor suspects as dubious, it pops up offering to cancel download and if clicked, the file doesn't get downloaded. Unfortunately the download protection doesn't work on Chrome.
Avira is working seamlessly alongside Comodo but I have stripped it down quite a bit - mailguard, webguard, proactive are not installed.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
normalizerx said:
With Firefox I use Adblock and McAfee Siteadvisor Live - it's excellent, I've tested it on many malware links - it offers even download protection. When you download something from a site that Siteadvisor suspects as dubious, it pops up offering to cancel download and if clicked, the file doesn't get downloaded. Unfortunately the download protection doesn't work on Chrome.

Well,I'm not really a fan of McAfee so I'll take your word for it.... My favorite site advisor is Web of Trust as I find it very good against scams and shady websites... ;D
If you have the time,I would suggest that you try KeyScrambler Personal as add-on on Firefox ,it's very good and free.
Another good add-on that I like is LastPass,which should help you with all your online passwords.

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Jack said:
normalizerx said:

Well,I'm not really a fan of McAfee so I'll take your word for it.... My favorite site advisor is Web of Trust as I find it very good against scams and shady websites... ;D
If you have the time,I would suggest that you try KeyScrambler Personal as add-on on Firefox ,it's very good and free.
Another good add-on that I like is LastPass,which should help you with all your online passwords.

Thank you for your tips! I used WOT for many years but it started flagging sites I like and some sites of friends of mine, so I decided to leave it. I like it, it is really useful and protective but there is quite a lot of room for fanboyism and targeted subjective flagging of otherwise harmless websites.

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
imsoadude said:
Do you have any backup or system imaging software?

Yes, an Acronis image but I'm a bit lazy updating my image, so it's from almost 2 years ago. Not very wise of me probably...

D

Deleted member 178

The apps i really miss on Win8 is Rollback RX, if i plan some changes on my system, bam, i do a snapshot before (10sec), and if something goes wrong, just reload the snapshot in 1mn.

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
The apps i really miss on Win8 is Rollback RX, if i plan some changes on my system, bam, i do a snapshot before (10sec), and if something goes wrong, just reload the snapshot in 1mn.

I've never tried it to be honest. I don't have a lot of experience with imaging software besides Acronis.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Jack said:
normalizerx said:

Well,I'm not really a fan of McAfee so I'll take your word for it....
I'm not a fan of McAfee either, However I just want to put my opinion out here.
McAfee site adviser (Live) is the only thing of McAfee I would use right now as I used it for years and works pretty decent, However I'm not using it right now at the moment but I would again.

D

Deleted member 178

normalizerx said:
I've never tried it to be honest. I don't have a lot of experience with imaging software besides Acronis.

Acronis is good, just think to enable the boot-time launcher, and do a restore disk

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
normalizerx said:

Acronis is good, just think to enable the boot-time launcher, and do a restore disk

I'll have to dig into that, thanks for the advise!

D

Deleted member 178

To enable the boot time launcher, go to "tools", if my memory is good it is same for create the boot disk.

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
3link9 said:
Jack said:
normalizerx said:

Well,I'm not really a fan of McAfee so I'll take your word for it....
I'm not a fan of McAfee either, However I just want to put my opinion out here.
McAfee site adviser (Live) is the only thing of McAfee I would use right now as I used it for years and works pretty decent, However I'm not using it right now at the moment but I would again.

I was also pleasantly surprised by it. I had used it in the past when it was still named Siteadvisor Plus but then it slowed my browsing a bit, so I ditched it but now there's no noticeable difference.

Umbra Corp. said:
To enable the boot time launcher, go to "tools", if my memory is good it is same for create the boot disk.

And you create boot disk with you current system state?

D

Deleted member 178

the "boot disk" is just Acronis in a WinPE environment disk that allow you to create /restore a backup image from a disk instead from Acronis GUI.

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
the "boot disk" is just Acronis in a WinPE environment disk that allow you to create /restore a backup image from a disk instead from Acronis GUI.

I see, thank you, Umbra Crp.!

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I see others have beat me to the backup area :p Other things that you can add to Firefox and Chrome is, WOT, Lastpass, Adblock Plus and Ghostery :)

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
McLovin said:
I see others have beat me to the backup area :p Other things that you can add to Firefox and Chrome is, WOT, Lastpass, Adblock Plus and Ghostery :)

Thank you for your suggestions. I have Adblock plus but McAfee Siteadvisor instead of WOT. Anyway I still use WOT on my office PC. I haven't tried Ghostery but probably will. I tried Webroot's rebranded version of Lastpass and it's really impressive. I might try the original as well. Are there any browsing slow-downs observed using Lastpass?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.