Serious Discussion My favorite Linux apps:

klepto

Level 2
Thread author
Jun 14, 2020
CopyQ: Clipboard manager(Easy to use but sophisticated.. you can use or make scripts to increase functionality

Autokey: Similar to the Windows AutoHotKey, a desktop automation software. I use it to type things I would write myself but now I do it by abbreviation.. Like addy types my address and such. I also use it for other things as well.

KeepassXC: Password manager, one of the best. I run it on Linux as well as Android and in Windows.

Librewolf: Its Firefox with some modifications to enhance privacy.

Freetube: Youtube replacement, its a GUI that lets me watch Youtube videos and subscribe to YT channels.

Yubico Authenticator: I have many Yubikeys.. and they all have the same totp info on them.

Signal: Secure messenger app

Borg, Vorta and Restic: Backup Yo Stoofs.. Vorta is the GUI that uses borg as the backend.

Notesnook: Open source and zero knowledge evernote type thingie..

What are your favs? If you need links to any of this let me know

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
CopyQ: Clipboard manager(Easy to use but sophisticated.. you can use or make scripts to increase functionality

Autokey: Similar to the Windows AutoHotKey, a desktop automation software. I use it to type things I would write myself but now I do it by abbreviation.. Like addy types my address and such. I also use it for other things as well.

KeepassXC: Password manager, one of the best. I run it on Linux as well as Android and in Windows.

Librewolf: Its Firefox with some modifications to enhance privacy.

Freetube: Youtube replacement, its a GUI that lets me watch Youtube videos and subscribe to YT channels.

Yubico Authenticator: I have many Yubikeys.. and they all have the same totp info on them.

Signal: Secure messenger app

Borg, Vorta and Restic: Backup Yo Stoofs.. Vorta is the GUI that uses borg as the backend.

Notesnook: Open source and zero knowledge evernote type thingie..

What are your favs? If you need links to any of this let me know
Yeah right like I am going to share the keys to my electronic castle with a username like Klepto! :)

On a serious note. I love yubikey.
The only app I run in my Linux box is GADRAS.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I will add Strawberry to the list. It does a great job playing my MP3 library. It sounds very good, is easy to use and kind of looks like Itunes from back in the day. I will check out Freetube, thanks for the tip.

I also like the Stacer system monitor. It has some good tools that are not found in System Monitor.

C.H.

Spiff

Level 1
Jul 20, 2023
On Kubuntu 22.04.3 LTS, these are some/most of my favorite applications:

Browser: Firefox (snap)
E-mail: webmail

Text editor: Kate
Office: LibreOffice

PDF viewer and editor: Okular (alternatives that also offer some options for basic PDF editing: LibreOffice Draw, Scribus, and Inkscape).
Split, merge, rotate, rearrange PDF documents: PDF-Arranger (alternatives would be: PDFsam Basic, PDF Chain, PDF Mix Tool)

Document scanning: Document Scanner (= GNOME Simple Scan) (an alternative would be: gscan2pdf).
Screen-capture: Xfce4-screenshooter (Shutter, or ksnip for more advanced screen captures).
OCR powered screen-capture tool to capture information instead of images: NormCap

Image viewer and simple editor: Gwenview (and XnView MP, and Pinta (snap) for slightly more advanced edits)

Media player: VLC media player
Specifically for Disney/Pixar DVD (or other DVD with difficult to play copy protection): Kodi

Video/audio downloader: 4K Video Downloader (alternative: Open Video Downloader).
Audio converter: soundKonverter (N.B. not to be confused with SoundConverter)

Command line tool for checking the printer ink level: ink

System cleaning: sudo apt autoremove, sudo apt autoclean, and occasionally Muon Package Manager to remove any leftover residual configuration.

Create bootable USB flash drive: balenaEtcher (alternative: USBImager)

System imaging: Clonezilla
/home backups: Grsync to several drives.
E-mail backup: run Thunderbird (with setting 'Check all folders for new messages': Menu\Preferences\General\Config Editor\Advanced Preferences\ mail.server.default.check_all_folders_for_new --> true) and next copy ~/.thunderbird/xxxxxxxx.default-release to several drives for backup.

Tiny

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 29, 2016
On Fedora Silverblue:

Distrobox: For running containers.
Flatseal: For flatpak permissions
Flatsweep: For cleaning up uninstalls
Boxes: For virtualisation
Bottles: For the rare windows app
Atoms: For keeping containers organised
KeepassXC
Evolution mail

I install practically everything else via containers.

IoSonoPiero

Level 1
Verified
Jan 15, 2019
Bottles: I use it to run PDF-XChange Editor Pro and works great
Steam: well, I need to play games, right?
Eleterm: much better than putty in my humble opinion
Remmina: RDP and VNC
Upscaler: upsizing images with magic
scrcpy: I attach my tablet to USB and use it from my desktop
Authenticator: import 2FA from everything and export data for backup, too
Vorta: for backup
Virtualbox and Qemu/KMV: virtualize everything

Reactions: MuzzMelbourne

IoSonoPiero

Level 1
Verified
Jan 15, 2019
Ok, so I just asked ChatGPT.
I tried lm-sensors.
It shows the temperature for each single CPU.
You can start from there, for example.
2023-10-15_13-30.png

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Move cursor to your panel, somewhere on some free space,
Right click (screen appears)
Choose "Applets" (Applets panel appears)
Click on button " Download"
Wait a bit and look for (see picture)
1697370803896.png

Select and add it to your panel
1697370995784.png

Funfact: CPU runs 10 degrees lower/colder with Linux Mint compared to Windows10

Last edited by a moderator:

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
...also, I'm going to add Freetube to my list.

Early day's, but as YouTube was my last Google product, hopefully I'm that little bit more obscure...

Reactions: IoSonoPiero

klepto

Level 2
Thread author
Jun 14, 2020
On Fedora Silverblue:

Distrobox: For running containers

I install practically everything else via containers.
Distrobox is a killer app for sure.. I run Fedora but all my apps are installed on a distrobox arch distro.. I even installed my kde theme on the arch container so everything looks the same.. yes.. I'm a nit pick :D

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 97327

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.