My Mother's Computer

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
This is the setup I've thrown onto my mother's computer. Considering that she can't really be trusted to make decisions and she won't like any security software breaking a program I've gone for the more traditional route of an antivirus.

Using MSE.

I've turned everything off in Comodo except for the sandboxing feature, which I have used to sandbox Java. Java on my own setup can be sandboxed as Restricted with no issues, however to be absolutely sure that she doesn't get a headache I've lowered it to Limited.

Updates are silent. UAC is on Max. Chrome updates automatically. Windows updates automatically.

She's been infected before on XP 32bit before so I consider her "high risk" and even though she's fairly good with computers she's still at a "low level" understanding of how infections can occur and therefor at "high risk" for infection (also taking into account her browsing habits.)

It's not the solution I'd want for myself but it's perfect for her.

D

Deleted member 178

ummmmm...i will remove CIS, no way i will put it for a beginner specially if almost everything is turned off, i strongly suggest you to put sandboxie for her browsing and use Windows Firewall with Windows Firewall Control; since W7 is already secure enough.

offtopic: my reply remimd me someone, i wonder who... :D

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Sandboxie is a pay product. I don't pay for 3rd party security. I was given Emsisoft.

Comodo's turned off except for sandboxing Java. If I had it turned on it would be too noisy and decision based to be useful at all. This will protect her from Java exploits without making any noise or breaking anything else.

I also use Windows default Firewall =p Comodo's is off.

You can set also to Limited User Account.
UAC on max is good enough. I don't want to restrict the computer too much because if she runs into an issue it'll be worse than malware.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Yup. Everything else is turned off except for execution control checking for buffer overflow and forcing Java into a sandbox.

Every other module is disabled. I let Emsisoft do the rest.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I'm curious why you're sandboxing Java. Does your mom run a lot of Java apps, or regularly visits a webpage with a Java applet? If she doesn't do either of these, just uninstall Java from her machine. She likely has no use for it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What about any extensions for Chrome?

I would say AdBlock Plus for Chrome and WOT (although WOT in Chrome cannot block sites).

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
She's on my network, which means she's getting her ads blocked by my router. I doubt she'd ever check WOT =p but I considered the BitDefender extension.

She found the behavioral blocker from Emsisoft too loud so I turned it down a bit.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Emsisoft was giving her issues by blocking websites that are known to be good and the behavioral blocker was just too loud for her (Really anything would be.)

I personally like EAM but it's not for her.

Removed and replacedby MSE and BitDefender Trafficlight for Chrome

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Hungry Man said:
Emsisoft was giving her issues by blocking websites that are known to be good and the behavioral blocker was just too loud for her (Really anything would be.)

I personally like EAM but it's not for her.

Removed and replacedby MSE and BitDefender Trafficlight for Chrome
I think its a good move to have your mom use MSE instead of Emsisoft.
False positives are easy for most of us but for moms computer, they
could be a killer. Great move.:cool:

Bo

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
From my own experience and based on AV-Comparatives MSE has record low FP's. Detection rates for 0days are something like 40% but hopefully that will be enough.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Hungry Man said:
From my own experience and based on AV-Comparatives MSE has record low FP's. Detection rates for 0days are something like 40% but hopefully that will be enough.
MSE false positives are basically none. Emsisoft as we know is
very aggressive and in the hands of users like our moms can
be harmful, in my opinion.
Its safer for her to use MSE.

Bo

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Yup. I find most people are in "default-allow" mode so it's best to give them a program that doesn't offer up choices.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not to invade your thread, but for my parents computer they have Avast Free and Norton DNS for protection. Simple. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I use Chrome for their computers, since it's bundled with Flash Player. Speaking of Ad-blocking, Chrome's isn't as powerful as Firefox. You get the odd pop-under. :|

I also have KeyScrambler for when they use IE9 for web-based MS Outlook (or w/e it's called).

I'll stop now :)

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Keyscrambler isn't a bad ideabut it's pay-only if you want Chrome support and I always put Chrome on newbies computers since it's user friendly and very secure.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.