My Mother's Computer

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hungry Man said:
Emsisoft was giving her issues by blocking websites that are known to be good and the behavioral blocker was just too loud for her (Really anything would be.)

I personally like EAM but it's not for her.

Removed and replacedby MSE and BitDefender Trafficlight for Chrome

Do you still have Comodo D+ for blocking Java exploits?If yes you can remove it since Chrome has a built it feature which will prevent any web page to access the Java plug-in without first checking if that's ok with you.

MSE is a good antivirus , I have Avast Free for my dad's laptop.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 539

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
If yes you can remove it since Chrome has a built it feature which will prevent any web page to access the Java plug-in without first checking if that's ok with you.
Yes, and I love it. However it's "yes or no" and if she hits yes that line of defense is gone. Considering that she may believe it to be legitimate I can't trust that she'll make the right decisions.

syfer

Level 1
Aug 7, 2011
Only have one word Linux why well as your mother would only need to surf the web and me be do some research or even shopping then Ubuntu Linux is for you and I will tell that what my mother computer has installed I do not have to worry about malware or any vires as Linux has none so that’s what I would use for any parents or mothers computer

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
syfer said:
Only have one word Linux why well as your mother would only need to surf the web and me be do some research or even shopping then Ubuntu Linux is for you and I will tell that what my mother computer has installed I do not have to worry about malware or any vires as Linux has none so that’s what I would use for any parents or mothers computer
+1
I do not see why your mother has any need to run Windows when Linux is more secure and does not lack any features that the average user would come across.
I finally switched my mother's computer to Kubuntu from Vista a few months ago, and it has worked wonders on the laptop.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
Linux is far too complicated for the average user. I'm not putting my mother on an unfamiliar OS so that she can complain to me about bugs all day haha

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Hungry Man said:
Linux is far too complicated for the average user. I'm not putting my mother on an unfamiliar OS so that she can complain to me about bugs all day haha
That is only because you are talking about Linux as a kernel, rather than GNU/Linux as an operating system.
Complaining about bugs? Before I put my mother on Kubuntu, she was complaining about bugs all of the time. I could not be in the same neighbourhood as her if she was on that computer without hearing her complain about how slow it was, and to top it off, every now and then it decided to display a nice 'Windows cannot boot.' message when a boot up was attempted.
KDE Plasma Desktop is a very nice desktop environment that is in no way complex, you should try it some time.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since there are some Linux OS that are good for beginners and its not complicated to use.

D

Deleted member 178

the problem is when you use Linux (or other alternative OS) only, you cant ask for quick help from people since few people use Linux.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
She knows Windows software though. Having to switch to an entirely new operating system and entirely new products and getting used to a new UI is not going to be easy. And I've run into so many bugs on Linux just getting it set up and that's with the nice ones like Ubuntu.

Maybe things have changed in 3 months?

I can just imagine the hassle it would be.

D

Deleted member 178

i knew a guy who like to be "different" so he said he will use Linux because he is not a sheep and Linux is cool... then he install it use for some times until he realized his favorite games dont run on it or were more difficult to install, then he came back to Windows. it was long time ago.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
the problem is when you use Linux (or other alternative OS) only, you cant ask for quick help from people since few people use Linux.
But the people who do are able to check the source code to help diagnose and fix the problem as GNU/Linux is an open source OS.
Hungry Man said:
She knows Windows software though. Having to switch to an entirely new operating system and entirely new products and getting used to a new UI is not going to be easy. And I've run into so many bugs on Linux just getting it set up and that's with the nice ones like Ubuntu.

Maybe things have changed in 3 months?

I can just imagine the hassle it would be.
The KDE Software Compilation includes an interface that is similar to that of Windows in many aspects and has many programs that are as good or better than what Windows can provide.

D

Deleted member 178

i always use this example, because it often happen:

you have Linux, suddenly your internet connection is down, where can you found help? (unless go to a internet shop and google search); with windows at least you have a high chance to have a neighbor who may fix your issue.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
It's not about them being bad or worse in any way, it's about them being different.

And the fact that Linux is open source has not stopped it from having bugs yet. Especially on laptops.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Hungry Man said:
It's not about them being bad or worse in any way, it's about them being different.

And the fact that Linux is open source has not stopped it from having bugs yet. Especially on laptops.
I've been running it on a laptop and a netbook for some time now, and both times it has ended up being more reliable than it was on Windows.
You could always use Wubi to install official Ubuntu based Linux distributions if you are not convinced.

Hungry Man

Thread author
Jul 21, 2011
I've run multiple distros before. I have plenty of linux experience.

The decrease of malware would not justify all of the questions my mother would ask me about how to do things. She isn't interested in security she's interested in ease of use - that's why I have a very noninvasive setup for her.

"I hate that the X is over here, I hate how I can't do Y the same way"

It's not that they're worse it's just that they're different and I doubt she's interested in getting used to a new operating system.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.