Hot Take My personal experience trying different VPNs in IRANs high censorship level

amir 957

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
“Personal experience “

Sharing my experience after trying almost every VPN with different ISPs, this is the list that i can at least rely on in every situation, I won’t mention VPNs that sometimes work and sometimes don’t:

Mullvad❌
Geph ❌
Adguard❌
F-secure Freedom ❌
Bitdefender ❌
Proton ❌
Speedify❌
Phsiphon ❌
Outline ❌ (tried different free servers, needs lots of volunteers from outside of Iran)
OrBot ❌

TorBrowser Snowflake ✅
ExpressVPN ✅
NordVPN ( Obfuscated servers)✅
Windscribe (WStunnel for desktop app, extension for browser) ✅

I rather choose a VPN that works at highest censorship levels , this is the time that the team behind a VPN company and developers show their capability 📍

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I don't know if you've tried AirVPN yet, but it might be worth a shot. The forums there are very helpful and active on the subject of censorship as well.
This thread might be a bit dated, due to its age, but it may still be helpful.

amir 957

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
I don't know if you've tried AirVPN yet, but it might be worth a shot. The forums there are very helpful and active on the subject of censorship as well.
This thread might be a bit dated, due to its age, but it may still be helpful.
Thanks
I will give it a try ✌🏼

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I often noticed that it was the same in China or in other countries where VPNs are often blocked and prohibited...
I think there is VyprVPN which can bypass some blocking (with their protocol, Chameleon)

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I always keep a Snowflake instance open in my browser when I'm not at my PC, so it's nice to get real-world confirmation that it actually works.
I just installed the extension. Is this what you use?

Edit: 3 users have already connected to the web. Their extension or their web page is an easy way to help users who face censorhip walls.

Last edited:

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Most VPN should work which run Obfuscated servers ( Aka SSL wrapped open VPN or SSL wrapped other protocols )

but you also need a VPN with tons of ip / which swaps servers often
thats why mullvad failed they dont swap often and have their entire server list visible including IP on their website , the dream of any censorship country easy to block.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.