WT4KC6M.jpg

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Bought the LG GRAM 17 2020. Another milestone reached. Have been using it for about 2 months now.

Really satisfied with the large screen, light weight, many ports and best use for productivity and surfing the net. Another main reason why I chose the 10th Gen IceLake CPU which comes with 4 cores vs the same 10th Gen Comet Lake CPU which comes with 6 cores is that the IceLake CPU comes with built-in in-silicon mitigations against Spectre and Meltdown. I can't find any mention for the Comet Lake CPU on the net regarding this.

Specs as below

- 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 IceLake processor with Iris® Plus Graphics
- Windows 10 Home ===> Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro
- 17.0 inch WQXGA (2560 x 1600) IPS Display in a 15 inch form factor laptop
- 80Wh Lithium Ion Battery (Up to 17 Hours)
- 3xUSB 3.1 Gen 2 ports (confirmed by LG)
- 8GB RAM & 512GB NVMe™ SSD | Thunderbolt™ 3 ===> Upgraded the 3200MHz DDR4 RAM to 24GB and 2x512GB NVMe internal SSD
- Weighs only 1350g

Added accessories like

- 2x1TB external SSD (Samsung and Sandisk)
- ZENDURE Supertank 27000mAh (100WH) power bank with PD 100W to charge the LG GRAM 17
- APPLE 96W USB-C charger to charge the Zendure Supertank 27000mAh power bank
- A couple of 100W 5A USB-C cables

Internet review of the ZENDURE Supertank 27000mah power bank with specs as below

Zendure SuperTank 27.000mAh External Battery Review

Video reviews here

HtjjLHp.jpg

shpK8Y6.jpg

3ij0O8t.jpg

Video reviews of the LG GRAM 17 2020 as below

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
OK, just went for my 2nd cataract eye operation for my right eye today. Operation went smoothly. Another small milestone achieved this year for both eyes have completed the cataract operations.

Due to covid19 the operation which was supposed to be done on 1Apr was postponed till today. Will be going for follow-up check ups next few visits to the eye clinic

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Wow - Mine is only Samsung 32 inch - Well overshadowed by your beautiful behemoth :p:p:p What resolution you going to be running it at?
Ok, running with the provided USB-C cable I was able to achieve 5K resolution at 60Hz. The text is also a bit smaller. I believe it's USB-C Alternate Mode for video likely DisplayPort DP 1.4 for it can display up to 8K@60Hz resolution. DP 1.2 supports up to 4K@60Hz and DP 1.3 up to 4K@120Hz or 8K@30Hz

HDMI for my LG monitor supports up to about 4K at 60Hz so changing the cable from USB-C to HDMI drops the resolution and the text is larger. Although the HDMI cable is 2.1 my system can only support up to HDMI 2.0b

I'll stick with the more comfortable about 4K resolution at 60Hz using the HDMI cable and a cleaner desk top

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Ok, running with the provided USB-C cable I was able to achieve 5K resolution at 60Hz. The text is also a bit smaller. I believe it's USB-C Alternate Mode for video likely DisplayPort DP 1.4 for it can display up to 8K@60Hz resolution. DP 1.2 supports up to 4K@60Hz and DP 1.3 up to 4K@120Hz or 8K@30Hz

HDMI for my LG monitor supports up to about 4K at 60Hz so changing the cable from USB-C to HDMI drops the resolution and the text is bigger. Although the HDMI cable is 2.1 my system can only support up to HDMI 2.0b

I'll stick with the more comfortable about 4K resolution at 60Hz using the HDMI cable and a cleaner desk top
What is the native resolution of that monitor?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
What is the native resolution of that monitor?
It's 5120x1440. Spec is here

To get that resolution I'll

1) need a longer USB-C cable with Alternate Mode DP 1.4 support or
2) get a USB-C to DP 1.4 adapter and run a DP 1.4 cable from the adapter to the back of the DP 1.4 port of the monitor or
3) shift my entire extended desk and laptop from the left to the right and use the provided USB-C cable. WIth this arrangement the distance between the laptop and monitor is shorter but it introduces the power strip cable length and location problems.

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I also got a new screen, but it is not s big as yours, hope size does not matter ar MT-forum :rolleyes:

(10 inch 720HD - 1068x768 :) )

Attachments

• my new (second hand) 2-in-1.jpg
    my new (second hand) 2-in-1.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
There are a couple of 49 inch monitor brands in the market namely SAMSUNG, ASUS, DELL, LG, etc

SAMSUNG C49RG90 ultrawide monitor is more for gamers as it comes with higher refresh rate of 120Hz, HDR1000, sync feature etc but no USB-C port and no built-in speakers since gamers would prefer external speakers for a more immersive gaming experience. ASUS ultrawide monitor is similar to the SAMSUNG for gaming purpose. I'm not into gaming so I ignore them

The 49-in DELL and LG ultrawide monitors are for productivity use as their refresh rate is only 60Hz

The DELL 49-in monitor is a few hundered dollars cheaper and has a 5-yr warranty vs the LG’s 3-yr warranty. However, I chose the LG 49-in monitor over the DELL is because of

- LG’s higher grade screen despite the DELL having the same screen OEM from LG
- Comes with 2xbuilt-in speakers (no need to buy external speakers for I’m not a big fan of audio and make my desk clutter-free)
- Has HDR10
- The PD 90W feature in the DELL monitor, although good, is not enough to charge the XPS 17-in laptop which requires a PD of 130W so can be ignored. The PD 60W feature in the LG monitor, however, is adequate to charge my LG GRAM 17 laptop.

Currently, using the stand provide by the LG monitor to sit on the desk. If desk space is needed later I might be looking, unlikely, into the very expensive ERGOTRON HX desk monitor arm

https://www.amazon.com/Ergotron-45-475-026-Polished-AluminumMonitors/dp/B01N5FTCJE?th=1

or the more likely 10 times cheaper MOUNTING DREAM wall mounting option

https://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Dre...ing+dream+tv+wall+mount&qid=1598192980&sr=8-3

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Low resolution.

Pixelbook Go is 1920x1080, and Surface Go 2 is 1920x1280 (SG1 was 1800x1200) on small screen devices.

I know it is low res, but I got it for a bottle of wine (found a 'cru bourgeois' Cotes de Bourg for 7,95 euro in the left-overs discount at our local liqor store) from my father. The battery does not has the 9 to 11 hours battery life anymore (hardly lasts two hours), but that is no problem because I use it as a ordering terminal (continuesly connected to its charger) as an experiment for the restaurant/bar I am working for as a part-time cook..

I paid for my digital marketing study working as a cook. I liked it more than the profession I studied for, so kept working as a cook after graduating. The restaurant/bar I am working for has a hard time with Corona. The owner and wife are working again in their restaurant. Nearly all staff is sent home (well technically they were on zero or eight hour contracts, so nobody is officially fired, they are just not needed or working minimum hours of their contract).

Bar's are restriced in the Netherlands due to Corona rules, so we transferred the bar-area with its gigantic 'reading table' to a Corona proof (separated by transparent shields) two seats a side regulars table. The tablet is used for guest registration and drinks ordering. It was a test which works well.

I bought a second (also second hand) Asus 2-in-1 on-line which also has a crippled battey. I bought a new battery for 45 euro. Guest now have to register and order at the bar entrance. We will be adding an extra ordering tablet attached (on a chain) to the new 'regulars table' for ease of use.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just received the most expensive item in the desk set up for my 2020 resolution. It's the Herman Miller Aeron Remastered Mineral Chair from USA. Due to its Mineral (gray) color it's more expensive than the Graphite and Black versions. As such it costs a few hundreds more than my LG 49-in Ultrawide Monitor

IMG_20200907_125145.jpg

IMG_20200907_125950.jpg

IMG_20200907_125959.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.