NAD5 - Security Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAD5

Thread author
Jan 3, 2017
A few other points:
  • Main device is a SP4 (top spec) and I love it.
  • I also utilise a VPN (PIA) mostly for privacy reasons and not everyday.
  • I have swapped between Chrome & Firefox. Considering switching from Adblock Plus to Ublock Origin as it looks like it has more settings or can block more stuff.
  • I have 3 external HDD's (one being a NAS) but don't auto backup. I use Google Drive for everything day to day (with two factor auth). An area I need to focus on I think.
  • I could probably do a lot better but I'm not as paranoid / prefer a speedy computer / click happy so I usually stick to 'safe' websites compared to my early-twenties. Time is a factor. I don't even have any pirated software on my computer these days!
It will be interesting how this changes over time as I've kept to the same software for many years (AVG/MBAM/CCleaner). As I mentioned in my intro post I'm looking to expand my horizons as I'm new to security so I've been reading up on the different AV software (Avast Free) and things like VM's/Sandbox which are new to me.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I would like to suggest for a sold backup solution either Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper, both have a free and reliable version. ;)

Thanks for sharing with us here at MT. :)

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I would recommend looking for a cheap AV license from eBay.

You can get a Kaspersky/Bitdefender/Eset/Trend Micro license for as little as $10.

Would offer much better protection than AVG.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I would recommend looking for a cheap AV license from eBay.

You can get a Kaspersky/Bitdefender/Eset/Trend Micro license for as little as $10.
Someone had bad experiences buying licenses on eBay.
Often they are regular but are sold to more users and when the number of activations exceeds the allowed limit, they are blacklisted.

Let's say that eBay is not a recommended place to purchase software licenses
Sure the argument can't be generalized because there are also honest sellers that sell mainly in-box regular versions, but the risk of being scammed on ebay exists.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You can try Voodoshield or Secureaplus as your companion based.

Both have whitelisting technology that can save you for any worst scenario when AV fails.

Take note that you need to understand the pop-ups carefully.

Reactions: NAD5 and Parsh

NAD5

Thread author
Jan 3, 2017
Thank you all for the pointers, much appreciated.

Removed:

AVG Free.
Chrome Extension: Adblock Plus.

Added:

Avast Free.
Chrome Extension: Ublock Origin. Ghostery.

I will review alternative AV paid options at a later date. The backup software options look really good, I'm sorting out my other drives and computers but will add that ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.