Status
Not open for further replies.

nclr11111

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Security on my P2P-rig. Suggestions on improvement??

Last edited:

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
RE: NCLR need recommendation on improvements.

Comodo now has a huge whitelist so it should be a lot better for you.
You should get Comodo Firewall or PC Tools Firewall Plus because they have HIPS components. Something like GeSWall or Bufferzone is also recommended.

Please note I edited your first post.
Reason: You were in violation of the following part of forum policy:
bogdan said:
Watch your language.
All posts must be made in English with proper spelling and punctuation.
Foul language is not tolerated. Do not try and avoid moderation by replacing letters, i.e with a *.
Be nice to each other. Profanity, insults, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts will not be tolerated.
Note: Some apellatives may be seen as offensive and you should not use them. Examples: fanboy, troll, spammer, etc.

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

Your setup is not that bad. NoScipt is very powerful when it comes to protecting you.

I agree with elliotcroft.
A strong HIPS would complement your setup very well. I would recommend either Comodo Firewall or Online Armor Free. Both are free. However, I would recommend Comodo Firewall as I believe it to be more powerful and also more user-friendly. Here's a guide I wrote for how to install and configure Comodo Firewall. link

Please try it out and see what you think. Do be aware that you will have to answer some prompts in the beginning about whether or not to allow applications to run, but there shouldn't be that many. Also, after these initial questions the program should be very silent while providing you with excellent protection.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

nclr11111

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011

Haha! Ok did´nt realize that i used faul language. I promise to improve my language-skills. But since english isn´t my native language it sometimes get hard.
You recommend comodo firewall! Does that mean you suggest that i stick with MSE or do you recommend a change to the whole comodosuite??
I´ll look into GeSWall and bufferzone!
Thanks for the advice!

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011

nclr11111 said:
Haha! Ok did´nt realize that i used faul language. I promise to improve my language-skills. But since english isn´t my native language it sometimes get hard.
You recommend comodo firewall! Does that mean you suggest that i stick with MSE or do you recommend a change to the whole comodosuite??
Thanks for the advice!
Both MSE and Comodo Antivirus are very good, but since Comodo Firewall already has Cloud Scanner, you already have the power of the Comodo engine without having to remove MSE. I'd stick with MSE.

Watasha

Feb 8, 2011

nclr11111 said:
Thanks for the advice!

You should be fine with MSE & Comodo if that's what you choose, of course I like using CIS in its entirety. You can also check out SuperAntiSpyware & Hitman Pro for on demand scanners.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://www.surfright.nl/en

nclr11111

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011

Hmm. I might try Comodo once again. Is default settings enough to provide ok security and be manageble by me or should i go with other settings?

My previous experiences with comodo was ALOT of warnings and stuff about all sorts of processes i had and hadn´t heard of. Denying or accepting was not easy and therefor i felt that the protection was inadequte since i did´nt know which to deny and it ended up in kind of guessing.
I also had problems with online gaming due to the games processes being denied. Hopefully this has improved since then.

This installation will be on a not newly formatted computer (about 4 month). Will this give me a lot of trouble with the problems described above?

@Chiron: Online armour for x64, is that really free??

And thx for answers.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

nclr11111 said:
Hmm. I might try Comodo once again. Is default settings enough to provide ok security and be manageble by me or should i go with other settings?

My previous experiences with comodo was ALOT of warnings and stuff about all sorts of processes i had and hadn´t heard of. Denying or accepting was not easy and therefor i felt that the protection was inadequte since i did´nt know which to deny and it ended up in kind of guessing.
I also had problems with online gaming due to the games processes being denied. Hopefully this has improved since then.

This installation will be on a not newly formatted computer (about 4 month). Will this give me a lot of trouble with the problems described above?

@Chiron: Online armour for x64, is that really free??

And thx for answers.

It has improved, with its fairly large whitelist, and its sandbox. Not many alerts at all, unless installing something unknown/suspicious. Or, if you change the settings (I'm using D+ on paranoid :p).

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011

I would recommend changing the security level to Comodo Proactive security (Right click on the comodo tray icon then go to configuration and select it) then go open the interface then go to defence+ then Defence+ settings. Go over to the execution control tab and change the drop down box to restricted.
Hope this helps.
:great:

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

elliotcroft said:
I would recommend changing the security level to Comodo Proactive security (Right click on the comodo tray icon then go to configuration and select it) then go open the interface then go to defence+ then Defence+ settings. Go over to the execution control tab and change the drop down box to restricted.
Hope this helps.

Any important reason why he should do this? nclr11111 just said that he didn't want many alerts, since he didn't know how to answer some. Won't this configuration give him more?

Watasha

Feb 8, 2011

I personally keep it on mostly stock settings most of the time, other than having it tweaked here and there. Linkscanner has proven to be useful for me as well.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011

LaserWraith said:
elliotcroft said:
Hope this helps.

Any important reason why he should do this? nclr11111 just said that he didn't want many alerts, since he didn't know how to answer some. Won't this configuration give him more?
[sarcasm=100%]Hey, who's the moderator here?[/sarcasm] :biggrin:
Not with the sandbox enabled it won't.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

elliotcroft said:

:lol: Anyway, so then what does the proactive configuration change with the sandbox?

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011

LaserWraith said:
elliotcroft said:

:lol: Anyway, so then what does the proactive configuration change with the sandbox?
Something, I know that it does stuff, but I don't know what exactly.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

elliotcroft said:

Wow congrats on the splenduperous observation! :whistle:

I know it changes something. Since I think the sandbox stays mostly the same, it will only increase the alerts nclr11111 gets. It is his call though: a bit more possible security and more alerts (though if he answers wrong, it may be worse than letting CIS handle it), or less security and less alerts.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011

LaserWraith said:
elliotcroft said:

Wow congrats on the splenduperous observation! :whistle:

I know it changes something. Since I think the sandbox stays mostly the same, it will only increase the alerts nclr11111 gets. It is his call though: a bit more possible security and more alerts (though if he answers wrong, it may be worse than letting CIS handle it), or less security and less alerts.
Suppose you're right.
+1 Rep

Watasha

Feb 8, 2011

I agree. I would keep it stock until he learns the program, then he can tweak it as he goes if he wants. He made mention of too many popups before.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011

Watasha said:
I agree. I would keep it stock until he learns the program, then he can tweak it as he goes if he wants. He made mention of too many popups before.
The sandbox set to restricted is a good first step without increasing alerts.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

Watasha said:

Yes, that is what I did when I started using Comodo wayyyy back in 2007 (or 06). Just kept it default until I studied up on the Comodo forum and other places online (though Comodo gave more alerts then).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.