Advice Request Need a simple and effective backup software.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
I have come to four choices:
1. AOMEI Backupper
2. EaseUS Todo Backup
3. Paragon Backup and recovery 17
4. Macrium Reflect
Which one would be the best choice?

# 4, Macrium Reflect. If you need incremental backups you will need to buy a license. In the past I've purchased licenses for Paragon, Acronis, O&O, Easeus, Storagecraft Shadow Protect. Only Macrium has worked literally flawlessly..most importantly on data restores for the past 6.5 years. I have lost count of the number of times it has saved my skin. Yep, if someone is serious about data backups (as they ought to be) Macrium Reflect free or paid is the way to go.

PS - I bought the home pack, for my 2 desktop PCs and a laptop when MR was on version 5.x it's now at v7.2

Last edited:

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I am currently using the free version from Paragon which comes with incremental and auto-maintenance. It runs scheduled tasks correctly and without slowing down the system.

Before that, I used Acronis (which I bought) and AOMEI (which I got in a giveaway), but I didn't want to spend for upgrading the first after many years and experienced BSODs with the second a few weeks after using it.

jackwilli

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
Is it ok to keep boot option of macrium reflect as it always comes in action before window boot?

jackwilli

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
I also installed Paragon Backup and Recovery but I could not create iso boot file as it said that i don't have ADK installed on my Window.

Reactions: Weebarra

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Is it ok to keep boot option of macrium reflect as it always comes in action before window boot?

Yes, it is very convenient. I have it configured on all my machines. Set the timeout to 3 seconds instead of the default 10 via This PC -->Advanced System Settings --->Startup and Recovery Settings.

The MR boot WinPE environment helps you backup or restore disk images or data, perform disk maintenance related tasks like checking for errors, command line partitioning, copying/deleting/backing up files just in case Windows doesn't boot. I have set the PE environment to run from my D drive so the Boot (C) drive is not locked whilst booting using MR PE. Select the location of MR PE files in MR's Options -->Advanced ---> MR PE Files.

Hope this helps.

PS - Also make a bootable USB drive or CD/DVD just in case.

I also installed Paragon Backup and Recovery but I could not create iso boot file as it said that i don't have ADK installed on my Window.

Make sure these backup programs do not run at the same time and access the same files. You may see VSS related errors.

jackwilli

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
Screenshot (3).png

Hello Vivek. Do I have to select drive E in this option?

jackwilli

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
Yes, it is very convenient. I have it configured on all my machines. Set the timeout to 3 seconds instead of the default 10 via This PC -->Advanced System Settings --->Startup and Recovery Settings.

The MR boot WinPE environment helps you backup or restore disk images or data, perform disk maintenance related tasks like checking for errors, command line partitioning, copying/deleting/backing up files just in case Windows doesn't boot. I have set the PE environment to run from my D drive so the Boot (C) drive is not locked whilst booting using MR PE. Select the location of MR PE files in MR's Options -->Advanced ---> MR PE Files.

Hope this helps.

Make sure these backup programs do not run at the same time and access the same files. You may see VSS related errors.
Is it necessary to select another drive instead of /C drive.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Is it necessary to select another drive instead of /C drive.

Nopes it isn't. You can select any drive you want. Booting off another drive will help in case your primary drive i.e. C fails to boot for any reason.

Here's my setup.

Attachments

• Macrium Config.png
    Macrium Config.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 319

jackwilli

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 1, 2019

Hope this helps.

I installed Paragon before Macrium but uninstalled it.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Nopes it isn't. You can select any drive you want. Booting off another drive will help in case your primary drive i.e. C fails to boot for any reason.

Here's my setup.
My bootable USB has the option to fix boot which I have used a few times instead of restoring the full image.

Reactions: bribon77

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Is there any need of data recovery software after backup software?

Well, if you set up MR to backup regularly (my C drive is incrementally imaged 4 times a day) you don't but data recovery software is nice to have. Suggestions are Get Data Back or Stellar Phoenix both licensed solutions. However, Stellar had a give away in Oct and you may get a free license here: Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery. The site is in German, not sure if the offer is still valid but no harm in trying.

My bootable USB has the option to fix boot which I have used a few times instead of restoring the full image.

That's only if boot failure is limited to BCD related problems.

Reactions: jackwilli

jackwilli

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
Well, if you set up MR to backup regularly (my C drive is incrementally imaged 4 times a day) you don't but data recovery software is nice to have. Suggestions are Get Data Back or Stellar Phoenix both licensed solutions. However, Stellar had a give away in Oct and you may get a free license here: Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery. The site is in German, not sure if the offer is still valid but no harm in trying.

That's only if boot failure is limited to BCD related problems.
That was most precious software giveaway. Thanks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.